Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2008, 17:32   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig
When can I go?

Hello all. I am new to the forum and a quasi-novice sailor. I hail from the great city of New Orleans. I am only 26 and already counting the days (nd dollars) until I can cut ties and experience the adventure I have been reading about for years.
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 18:05   #2

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
welcome to the Cruiser's Forum

Hi Nola Sailing

Welcome to a great on line forum. You'll find all the encouragement you'll ever need here, plus lots of technical know how from very savvy and passionate boaters.

Don't miss the search engine. This forum is close to a Wikkipedia of sailing with all the talent posting info here. Can get very technical on many of the posts, but lots of fun and folly here too.

So how many days are you counting till you follow your dream? No need to wait if I can give some free advice. If I could turn back time, 30 years almost to be as young as you again, I wouldn't wait. Go for the gusto.

Best regards,
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 11:47   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Nola,
Hope you did ok in the last couple of hurricanes that came through! Welcome aboard.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 12:09   #4

Boat: 1991 hunter 35.5 legend
Hey NOLA! its possible! I am 27 and getting married in november then heading to the bahamas for 6-7 months. I wish there where more young people out there. (no offense to anyone out there)
ZolaSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 13:32   #5

Boat: Mutineer 15
I know the feeling

I know the feeling. I'm 27 and also counting the days and dollars. Right now the plan is save up and cast of at age 55 with enough to live off interest alone. I now thats not as exciting as sailing for a few months and work for a while and sail some more but what can I say I don't think I would enjoy that very much. It might be 28 years from know but when the mrs and I set off we won't have to come back and I find that very appealing. Maybe we can meet up in 25 - 30 years and have a beer.
wampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 13:46   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The sooner you go the easier it is. At a young age ,27, you can put up with more discomfort. Later in life what happens to most is. They need more comfort, the newest gadget, watermaker, and the list keeps growing. Most never leave.

Having a life long plan is great. I have seen too many have that plan, and then their health gives, or their strength. Take a couple of years while your young, and then build a career. The rewards of knowledge will be much more appreciated, and the WHAT IF'S a whole lot less if something goes wrong with the plan.......BEST WISHES in everything you do.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 14:02   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wampler View Post
I know the feeling. I'm 27 and also counting the days and dollars. Right now the plan is save up and cast of at age 55 with enough to live off interest alone. I now thats not as exciting as sailing for a few months and work for a while and sail some more but what can I say I don't think I would enjoy that very much. It might be 28 years from know but when the mrs and I set off we won't have to come back and I find that very appealing. Maybe we can meet up in 25 - 30 years and have a beer.

That's the age I was when I started my plan. I'm 45 now and have the money but not the time. Good luck with it. Make a clear plan and write it down and then make changes as you see they become necessary.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 14:11   #8
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
Those who are really serious about sailing away will make it one way or another.
My wife and I are doing it. I had gone through a divorce several years back which changed my life completely. I decided my life was now my life and I could do as I wish. Well, I always wanted to sail (extended cruise) so I started planning it. I would have a decent retirement in fifteen years (at that time). I owned a house which would be paid off then, so I only needed a boat.
The plan was to retire sell the house, buy the boat, wave Bye bye, sail away.
Well, along came a lady who said "Can I Go". Hell yes! So we are now retired, sold the house have a 42' Downeaster and are living abord while we complete the minor work necessary to set out.
It's best to have a realistic plan and some means of support, but it's not so hard to do if you really mean it, even on a limited income.
Just close your eyes and take that first step! You'll make it.
Old 17-09-2008, 14:18   #9

Thanks all for the input and encouragement. I am definitely aiming to make the permanent switch once my savings take care of themselves. As others have mentioned, I'd like the luxury of not coming back unless I wanted to. Doesn't mean that until then I will hold off on the coastal cruising. A man gentleman needs his fix!!! Just need a good starter boat first...
Old 17-09-2008, 14:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Nola,
Hope you did ok in the last couple of hurricanes that came through! Welcome aboard.
Kind regards,
JohnL
JohnL,

I appreciate the concern. New Orleans did just fine during this last bout; especially compared to that one storm who's name we don't mention(we literally only say "the storm"). Just loss of power for most people. I haven't been out to the marina, but I'm sure the fleet had its usual knicks and scratches.
Old 17-09-2008, 17:22   #11

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE
NOLA sailing, I have read or heard (and I can not remember from where or when)
"GO SMALL - GO SIMPLE - G0 NOW"
Good luck,
Duke
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 09:39   #12
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke 48 View Post
NOLA sailing, I have read or heard (and I can not remember from where or when)
"GO SMALL - GO SIMPLE - G0 NOW"
Good luck,
Duke
Go big enough to be comfortable. Whatever you need for comfort, it's a good idea to have that much boat. If you have others along and there's not enough space for comfort or temporary privacy in tense times there will be many heated moments. Sail with friends or charter on big and small, then consider the provisions you'll need and the space required for them. You may want to take a few hard to find spare parts, plus emergency items. Keep it minimal but be smart about your needs and the boat size will work itself out.
We moved from a 3 bedroom house to a 42' sailboat. You would not believe how hard it is to let things go. A 42' boat is rather comfortable, untill you get in a storm and things get tense then it becomes a very small cork, and heaven forbid someone get angry 500 miles out! You will need some private space/time occasionally.
Old 19-09-2008, 07:43   #13

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Nola,
I'm backing the majority in wishing you well and urging you onward to get off and out as fast as you possible can.
Good luck and keep us all posted.
JOHN