Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 00:44   #1

What Is The Best Catamaran For Newbies.

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are very new to this and are wondering what is the best cat for us to buy for our first blue water boat. We would be starting sailing around Vancouver Island. With an end goal of sailing for a couple of years around the globe.

Thanks,
Blaine & Nadine

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Outsiderelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:00   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: WHAT IS THE BEST CATAMARAN FOR NEWBIES

Need to know your approximate budget. The answer is very different if you are spending $100,000 than if you are spending $1,000,000.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:17   #3

We would like to spend somewhere on the $250,000 range but if the boat was right could go as high at $500,000. It will just be the 2 of us and a small 6 pound dog.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:34   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

That's a good budget to have. Plenty of solid, quality, older boats available in the US$250-$350k range.

I'll limit myself to boats with the qualities I think you need for a circumnavigation... Solid. Safe. Comfortable.

I'll start off, of course, with the make I chose... Privilege. Privileges from 36ft to 45ft will be in your price range and have been widely used for circumnavigations (see my wife's blog, address below)

Later Prout's and Broadblue, 38-46ft.

Earlier Leopards 42-47. These are a bit low on bridgedeck clearance for my personal preference but there are many out there doing circumnavigations.

Older Lagoons... My personal opinion is that each generation of Lagoon has been less suitable than the one before (sits back waiting for the abuse)

For a bit more performance, Catana and Outremer.

There are probably a few more makes/models that will do the job but the above are the ones I regularly came across doing circumnavigations.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:35   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: What Is The Best Catamaran For Newbies.

There are so many factors , head arrangement , galley layout,galley up or down, engine n drive setup. Do you need a true performance or just a safe strong cruiser, cockpit layout helm position, there are so many factors that only you can know if you would be happy with them. For myself id choose either a manta 40,42, leopard 38~44, Voyage 44,45, you can find all of these easily in your range. If you really want to spend more you might find a used antares 44, they
Not to start a war but I would avoid privliges,

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsiderelic View Post
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are very new to this and are wondering what is the best cat for us to buy for our first blue water boat. We would be starting sailing around Vancouver Island. With an end goal of sailing for a couple of years around the globe.

Thanks,
Blaine & Nadine

Howdy!

First, I am not a cat owner. But would like to be. While looking at boats I came across a series of videos posted on Youtube that I found interesting. I believe you will find much useful info in them, given your plans.

The first is showing the boat (owner tour) as it was for sale as the couple had sailed it from USA east coast to South Pacific (traditional route) and around the islands of South Pacific. They have many videos on Youtube, so useful for watching if you are planning to go do the same.

S/V Lagoon 380 Tour (Episode 27) - YouTube

Have fun!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 21:30   #7

Thanks everyone, this gives us a good start to start looking. We appreciate it.

Blaine and. Nadine

Old 09-08-2014, 22:19   #8

Quote:
We would like to spend somewhere on the $250,000 range but if the boat was right could go as high at $500,000. It will just be the 2 of us and a small 6 pound dog.

Here is a PDQ that may fit your requirements and budget:

2002 PDQ Antares 42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Good luck,

Mike
mbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 17:00   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I'm glad the cat guys are responding.
Old 11-09-2014, 17:08   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

2 of the best: Manta 42 and Maine Cat 41. Very high quality and just about 100% positive feedback.
Old 11-09-2014, 17:11   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Welcome to the forums! Oh, & I imagine that you know this, but there are some multihull only forums out there too, which might be worth a peek at a minimum.

Just a couple of thoughts in terms of what's worth looking at/considering:
- How much bridgedeck clearance does the boat have, and does it have much hanging down between the hulls? AKA slam factor.

- How well is the boat designed with an eye towards maintainance? You want something which is easy to work on, and some boat designers aren't the savviest when it comes to putting thing in locales where it's possible to see them, or fit & swing a wrench.

Also, when you're looking at the boat(s) keep an eye on what the common brands of parts are. Thus you'll find it easier to source spares in out of the way places, & not wind up paying outrageous freight on them.
This applies to EVERYTHING on the perspective vessel(s).

- How well do the boats sail/what's it's reputation for same? To include does she have a versatile sailplan, which is easy to configure for all different types of conditions. And is each part of the system easy to handle by all onboard?

- Are the rest of the systems easy to handle by all onboard? And when you're pondering this question, think about the least capable member of the crew fielding chore X, on a dark & stormy night. Alone.

- When you're looking at, and taking boats for test sails, don't just limit yourself to catamarans. As there may be times aboard your boat where conditions pretty much replicate those onboard monohulls. So such will be good info to have/learn.

And make sure to take copious notes, & or videos of all of these things. Don't just trust them to memory. Make up a binder with divided sections on your top 5 or so. And don't hesitate to run them & their categories etc. by sailing friends which you make along the way for constructive criticism & insight.

Hope that helps a little bit, and that you both find what you're looking for & put some memorable miles under the keel(s) ;-)

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 17:30   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Blaine & Nadine

Do you have any earlier experience with sailing?

Do you have any earlier experience with cruising cats?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran