Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2013, 07:54   #61

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Re: What is better for open seas?

Check out the Cape Dory 27 listed on this site. That would be a great choice IMHO.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 08:58   #62

What's the proposed journey?

He just said "open seas", which can certainly be interpreted as meaning different things to different people. Boats aren't "one size fit all".

So rather than suggest specific boats (or bashing certain boats), perhaps the better advice would be to further refine his requirements.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 09:43   #63

Boat: Caliber 40

San Diego is the perfect place to study the "seaworth blue water boat -vs- coastal cruiser& liveaboard boat" phenomenon.

Dozens of examples of each type arrive here yearly.

I know many couples who live aboard smaller Catalinas, Hunters, Beneteaus...etc. They have lots of room and creature comfort. Eventually some significant number of them head off south down the Baja Coast (750 miles of nothing with 15 - 25 knot winds and 4' to 7' waves/swells every day) and then spend a year or two in the Sea of Cortez. Most then make the 185 - 350 mile crossing to the Mexican mainland. In the 14 years I've been doing the same thing myself I have never heard of a single boat being damaged or destroyed due to light construction or "cheap building"

Likewise, I have several acquaintances here in San Diego living aboard "crab crushers" or other "sea worthy" boats such as the Westsail. One of them lives on a very stout and sturdy 196? Newport 30 - the hull layup is over an inch thick and the rig could support twice the sail area. They give up a lot of space and modern creature comforts but are convinced their boats are safer and more sea kindly. They to do the Baja, Mexican route, and they to have no problems with their boats.

More than 150 boats a year do the Baja HaHa and, if you scour their boat registrations, you'll see many of the light weight "peoples cruisers" and in the last 15 years I can think of none who had a problem due to boat construction.

The ONLY two boats I personallyh knew that had serious problems cruising from San Diego to Central Ameria were a Pacific Seacraft 37 that went on a rock in a hurricane and sunk and a J-120 that lost a rudder bearing headed from Cabo to Tenacatita.

Most modern (post 1960) boats can handle way more than their crew if sailed / voyaged with some degree of caution when selecting weather windows.

The question really comes down to:

What kind of boat do you want to LIVE on and in?
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote