Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 18:09   #16

Re: What Do Women Want?

A hair/beauty salon. Without a doubt.

In every respect, after a while of cruising, camping, you name it... each and every woman I've ever known, no matter how rugged, wants to feel pretty again.

I've never, in my life, seen an exception to this rule.

A true hair/beauty salon would be wanted by all women sooner or later. It's literally only a matter of time before they need their hair done. A question of when, not if.

Massages sound great, but a lot of cruisers are couples capable of giving each other massages and helping each other with little aches and pains.
matthewdamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:18   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

what do women want???...

https://youtu.be/W25_jgiY51I
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:25   #18

Boat: wanting a cat

That's the most "loaded" question asked in human history...

I mean that in the nicest possible way!

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:47   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Im wondering Tanya, what do YOU want? Thats the most relevant woman in your question no?
Dont be afraid to define it. This is your life. Other womems wants are pretty diddly really.
Old 08-10-2016, 20:49   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Figure out how to put a nice shower and an easy-to-use, non-leaking, non-smelly, head on every boat, I think you'll be on to something... (and truth be told, men want that too.)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 21:41   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The key with massage is getting hired on at the hotel/resort. Cruisers probably are not a good client base for massage. A little known fact is I was probably the only professional engineer in the USA who was also a CMT (Certified Massage Therapist).

A Salon day is always nice. But then I do my own hair and friends also. Multi-talented that's me.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 22:35   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The key with massage is getting hired on at the hotel/resort. Cruisers probably are not a good client base for massage. A little known fact is I was probably the only professional engineer in the USA who was also a CMT (Certified Massage Therapist).

A Salon day is always nice. But then I do my own hair and friends also. Multi-talented that's me.
Hmmm, CMT engineer... I've got it... how about a massaging lounge recliner in the cockpit... on a gimbal! I'll take two!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 23:48   #23

Hi Tanya, thanks for raising such an interesting question. As a guy designing our next boat, I've asked my wife the question of what her priority items are to make cruising enjoyable for her and the kids. And BTW, we will not be full time liveaboards, nor is she a diehard sailor.

HIGH PRIORITY ITEMS:
  • Keeping clean - enough fresh water for brief daily showers
  • Microwave oven - small
  • Refrigerator (she hates my ice box)
  • Clothes washer - we both hate washing undies in a pail or going to the laundramat
Luckily with today's cheap solar panels, inverters and the hugely efficient digital inverter refrigs and clothes washers, the above items are practical to have on a boat even without a genset.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:14   #24

You know what I think women, and men, would want even if they are budget cruisers? Detailed interior boat cleaning. You don't want a landlubber - they could do more damage than good. Having someone who gets why you shouldn't use this or that solvent or tool is important.

I'd specialize in tough to get areas that an air blowing cans (like the kind you use to clean a keyboard) and a good quality dustbuster and details brushes can really make a difference(because a shopvac just blows the debris around too much). Taking off woodwork to really get it clean.

I particularly hate cleaning the shower (the sump pump - YUCK!) is a job I hate. I'd trade one of my gourmet meals onboard for that anyday! If people are older, or younger, with aches and pains that kind of cleaning can be damaging for days. You could also cross-market with massage.
One issue I see with massage (family is in the business) is having a massage table is important. Surface changes everything. However, beggars can't be choosers.

I agree with everyone here that you will have to charge local prices. I would pay a little more for someone who is properly certified/trained w/lots of hrs and comes to my boat. I would start with bartering this business. Boat mechanics sometimes have to work upside down, squished into sharp metal things - that's a great person to trade with.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:16   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewdamage View Post
A hair/beauty salon. Without a doubt.

In every respect, after a while of cruising, camping, you name it... each and every woman I've ever known, no matter how rugged, wants to feel pretty again.

I've never, in my life, seen an exception to this rule.

A true hair/beauty salon would be wanted by all women sooner or later. It's literally only a matter of time before they need their hair done. A question of when, not if.

Massages sound great, but a lot of cruisers are couples capable of giving each other massages and helping each other with little aches and pains.
hahaha!! Your experience is limited. Certainly there are exceptions to this "rule".
I would rather have good fitting clothes than salons and spas.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:36   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

If a woman has to ask what a woman wants then we are all in trouble...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:39   #27

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
If a woman has to ask what a woman wants then we are all in trouble...

We are so doomed!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:19   #28

I can't answer what a woman wants that would be different from what a man wants.... but I can say most men are more comfortable *roughing it* with less creature comforts sort of thing. For example... when it's late and we've been watching a movie and I am falling asleep... I would just go the our double in the aft cabin and not bother putting a sheet, top sheet and *make the bed*... Wifey however wants to sleep between clean sheets and so will make the bed even if she is going to see the entire movie.

Can you generalize that females don't like the sort of challenges then men seem to not think twice about? Who knows. I deal with one woman and have to honor and respect her comfort zone in exchange for her companionship. It's a fine deal.

Wifey is a bit... IMSHO overly cautious at times and sort of never lets her guard down and to do so would make her psychologically uncomfortable. If the wind pipes up she gets concerned as if a gale is coming... which is possible but not likely. This fear means we have to do an immediate study of weather forecasts... and take the proper measures if required... well in advance. I would sort of not do anything unless forecast conditions were going to be very nasty. I have to explain to her... repeatedly... that small craft advisory is not something to be concerned about in most cases and offers more wind and a more thrilling sail... not the type she likes by the way.

++++

As far as earning some coin out there... I think a floating health, fitness, therapy, yoga, etc. service is a super idea... toss in hair cuts... and other beauty things for lady sailors... and you have a decent little low overhead business which should do fine.

If you like to cook or bake and so forth you can offer meals on waves or something... like the proverbial *take away* food when we're too lazy or tired to cook. I can see that working in crowded anchorages which have VHF chatter... where you could put the word out and monitor the radio for clients. You could limited your meal/food offerings.., to things like fresh croissants, bread, cookiers... or soups and pot pies even.

Or a provisioning service if your anchored somewhere where there a lot of anchored cruisers...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:24   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tanya.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:28   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
hahaha!! Your experience is limited. Certainly there are exceptions to this "rule".
I would rather have good fitting clothes than salons and spas.
I was operating under the assumption she wasn't planning on opening a retail store on the boat and that you packed all the clothes you need or could just go ashore and buy some clothes.

I'm pretty sure a retail store, fitting the style and size of everyone who would be shopping would require a freighter ship to house the inventory.
matthewdamage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men