Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2008, 11:52   #1

wanted to say hi

I am new to all of this.find reading about sailing very interesting.My wife and I live in the middle of Canada, Winnipeg.it is -41c this morning .We have not done much sailing but would like to learn and see more. Not because it is -41c but it seems like the thing to do.We are in our midd 50's and looking ahead to retirerment. I like what I read about, live aboard cats, but I have never even seen one. We are going to Bali Feb 1st. and we would like to know where to go,does anyone know?
ccbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 22:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi ccbennett!

You certainly picked the right time to get out of Winnipeg and go to bali! -41???? I hate the stuff - LOL.

Its about 30C and partly cloudy today. The northeast monsoon has set and for us Singapore sailors that means a steady 10-20 knots of wind from the northeast. It's absolutely our best sailing time - Woo hooo!

Bali is great. You may have read about terrorism there and it is still a concern. There are three main areas. The southern part of Bali is the action oriented, happening place. Surfers, kids, night clubs and so on predominate. There are also a couple of huge "self contained" resorts here. You won't experience much of Bali if you lock yourself away in a Hyatt ;-(

The second part is the central highlands. Beautiful scenery, cooler mountain air (I'm not talking 41 below cooler - LOL), beautiful rice terraces, jungle and so on.

The third part is my favorite. The north shore is quiet and collected. Off the beaten path and very serene. For many it's not their bag and they like the hustle and bustle of Kuta Beach.

Whatever your bag is you will have fun in Bali.

Oh - back to the terrorism thing. Really the best advice is avoid the western oriented bars and night clubs, particularly at night. Pass through the "public" areas of hotels and so forth without loitering. Keep a generally lower profile. The good news is Bali loves tourists, hates bombers and everyone seems to love canadians.

Enjoy!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 01:54   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

-41 YIKES!!

I be going to Bali as well
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 12:33   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha CC,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here.
We have pretty warm weather today and no rain at 23 degrees C. 19 degrees lattitude in the middle of the Pacific.
I can't imagine temperatures as cold as where you are. You folks need to get down south a bit and start sailing.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote