Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2007, 06:41   #1

Boat: Hunter, Passage 42, B&B
Want to Go to Guatemala

Hello, We are new to sailing, have purchased a 42' Hunter Passage, Center cockpit.

We want to sail to Guatemala and would like to know if anyone have plans to go?
Bud McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 08:37   #2

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Welcome Aboard Bud! Where are you based? Since you are new to sailing I assume it's an experienced crew you are in search of. When do you plan/hope to depart? Also check out the crew forum here on this site: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f30/. There are also a few other sites for locating crew such as, Find a Crewâ„¢ Worldwide - International Boat & Yacht Crew Database. Pay attention on these sites as some of the crew seeking a boat are wanting some form of payment, but there are many that are just up for the adventure! Bon Voyage!

Mark
Old 27-03-2007, 16:03   #3

Thanks Captian Mark, We are located in Ft. Pierce, FL and what we had hoped was to find another cruiser that was planning a trip later this year so we could sail together. We were thinking of going from the Dry Tortugas to Isla Mujeres, then follow the Mex coast down to the Rio Dulce. We have also discussed Cuba as an interim stop to break up the trip
Old 08-12-2008, 15:31   #4

Boat: New Horizions 38 ft Downeaster cutter
Interested in your trip. Are you concerned about the set of the current on your run from Key West ?
david henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 16:08   #5

Thanks David, Yes that is a concern. We have talked to several people that have been south from south FL.

Most say it is best to head toward western Cuba, hug the coast, and then go south toward Honduras. When south of Belize cut west to Rio Dulce inlet at Livingston.
Old 08-12-2008, 16:15   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Bud, That is not always the best call and it depends on the position of the Gulf Stream. Without getting into a whole different discussion, you can not legally go to Cuba and could at worst have your boat seized and at best be heavily fined. But forgetting that, if the stream is close to the Cuban coast, a better tactic is to sail due west from Key West or the Tortugas staying north of the stream until about due north of Isla Mujeras. This way you do not cross the stream twice and you avoid crossing the strong currents and seas between Cuba and Isla. Take a look at the post on our trip on our Sea Trek site for details on our passages.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 16:38   #7

Thanks Chuck for the advise. We did not plan to clear in through Cuba, only hug their coast in international waters. Your plan makes sense. Question? Did you have a gun aboard going to MEX? If so did you declare it? This is a concern to me. I would feel better having a gun on board but traveling thru Mex by car I know the military is tough on guns. I read your blog and would love to here any expanded versions about your trip.

Regards, Bud
Old 08-12-2008, 16:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi Bud,

If you carry a gun on board you should always declare it when clearing customs or risk serious penalties. If caught with an undeclared firearm in many countries you risk jail and forfeiture of your boat. Never been there but I hear Mexican jail is a rather unpleasant experience.

Safe Sailing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 17:01   #9

You can take a gun with you but you better declare it. Then they will take it until you leave the country so it won't do you much good. Same for Belize and Guatemala, so why bother. About the only thing it will do is be a hassle and maybe get you killed. I can't believe I just said that because now these gun nuts will jump on this and turn it into a gun thread, which is pretty much a waste of bandwidth. Bad, Bad mistake to not declare it. You said we, so imagine your family sitting in one of those prison. Just not worth it. In 17 years and a whole lot of third world countries, we have never carried one, needed one, or wished we had one. Please do not start another gun thread.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 09-12-2008, 03:38   #10

Sorry Chuck, I never meant that I would not declare a gun. I have been to the Bahamas, carried a gun, declared it and all was well. I just wanted to know about the laws of Mex and what their policy was with boater and haw they handled it.

As for Guatemala, you are allowed to have a gun there. My wife is from there and I have lived there and it is OK to have a gun there.

Enough about guns, sorry I brought it up.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:18   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Excerpted from:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ntry-1641.html

Mexico:
Vessels entering Mexican waters with firearms or ammunition on board must have a permit previously issued by the Mexican Embassy, or a Mexican consulate. Mariners do NOT avoid prosecution by declaring their weapons at the port of entry. Before traveling, mariners who have obtained a Mexican firearms permit should contact Mexican port officials to receive guidance on the specific procedures used to report and secure weapons and ammunition. Entering Mexico with a firearm, some kinds of knives or even a single round of ammunition is illegal, even if the firearm or ammunition is taken into Mexico unintentionally. The Mexican government strictly enforces its laws restricting the entry of firearms and ammunition along all land borders and at air and seaports. Violations have resulted in arrests, convictions, and long prison sentences for U.S. citizens.

US State Department Country Specific Information:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html

Guatemala:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1129.html

Mexico:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...s/cis_970.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:36   #12

As I said, carrying firearms is more of a hassle than they are worth if for no other reason than all of the restrictions on declaring them in foreign ports.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 09-12-2008, 08:45   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Also the permit to carry in Mexico is for hunting. You will have to prove you are going hunting. Such as where, what kind of animal, and who with. Leave the gun home. Spearguns, flareguns, or anything legal can be very deadly.......BEST WISHES in a safe arrival, and having tons of fun....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:17   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Regata del Sol al Sol

Bud--

You might want to consider signing up for the Cruiser Division of the Regatta del SOl al SOl in April '09 (see Regata del Sol al Sol ). Or simply departing from St. Peter within the same time frame. In either case you'll have up-wards of 70 yachts all around you for the trip. For more on Isla to the Rio have a look at Ocean Angel, a sistership to our boat owned by our close friends.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:49   #15

Bud,
I sailed to Cuba during the Clinton administration. First, we had to clear out of US waters, and when I visited US customs, I told them we were going to Cuba, to which the lady customs officer answered <you're going to Mexico> puzzled I looked at my friend and said <no, we're going to Cuba> she shook her head, looked at my friend and repeated <you're going to Mexico> just don't bring back alcohol or tobacco pruducts from Cuba, or you'll really be in trouble then... <Also,when you clear back into the US, your last port of entry will be the Bahamas, O.K.?> Of course, I instantly agreed.
To make a story short, depending on when you want to go, Cuba, in the next little while is going to be one one the most desired cruising destination, for everyone, including US citizens. With the new US administration, "things" are going to change very quickly.
With a little bit of patience, my plan would include Cuba, you'll probably end up staying longer than anticipated.
In fact, I am presently looking at a couple of boats myself. Unfortunately, the one I have eyes for is stuck on the hard, in the middle of a marina, and because of the snow, it's not moving untill April. By then Guatanamo will hopefully be a supermarket for reprovisioning sailors.
I still have Nigel Calder's Cuba a Cruising Guide, which I bought in 98 from Blue Water Books and Charts in Lauderdale, for our little trip to (imaginary) Mexico.
I was asked, when we cleared in Marina Hemingway, if I had Milk, eggs and weapons, to which I answered <no, I'm a vegetarian>. This was followed by the visit of some forteen officials (they all removed their boots) who were very courteous.
J.P.
johnpair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guatemala