Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-06-2008, 03:07   #1

Boat: None at the moment
Send a message via AIM to Evil One Send a message via MSN to Evil One Send a message via Yahoo to Evil One
VERY new - Holyoke

Not only new to this forum but new to sailing also.
I have some powerboat experience, small freshwater type.
Most of my youth I looked at sailboats as something I needed to watch out for as I was blasting across the lake.
However, lately my thoughts have turned towards a sailboat big enough to take 5 people out for the day... and 2 people up the coast for a week.
I am not sure if it is maturity, wisdom, or mentally being is a "happy place"... but whatever it is I am liking it.
My fiancee and I are taking a boat handling class in august and are considering a craft in the 23-27 foot range.
Any advice you can offer a total newcomer will be more than welcome.
In the meantime I will be searching the forum and doing my daily research.

Many thanks and a big Hello.

Jim

Old 23-06-2008, 03:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Welcome aboard.You will likely get a lot of advice from a lot of good people on this forum. I am too old to remember being your age. Ther are a lot of boats in the range you want. You start by narrowing down the needs and wants and money available, read through a lot of these threads and patterns will form. As far as maturing, hopefully that happens to everyone at some point or other. LOL

Old 23-06-2008, 04:18   #3

Send a message via AIM to Evil One Send a message via MSN to Evil One Send a message via Yahoo to Evil One
Thanks for the welcome Lancerbye.
As far as needs and wants, I have become a fairly basic man.
With the exception of my project car/toy, my fiancee and I moved cross country with a 12' moving truck. I dont go in for a lot of extraneous creature comforts and "doo dads".
So the main things I believe I would be looking for are enough room on deck for 2 adults and 3 kids... and accommodations inside for 2 adults for a week or so.
Ease in handling by a novice is important also, I will give up a lot of performance as to not get in way over my head if something unexpected comes up.
Looks... I am not going to say looks are not important but to tell the truth... visually I have not seen many ugly sailboats at all. Most seem to be form following function and to me that is beauty unto itself. A little wear and lived in feel are character to me, and working as either a mechanic or telecom installer since the age of 15 I figure most normal repairs shouldnt be a problem.
I really dont think it will be very hard to find "My" boat once I decide what I am looking for... I figure I will look at a few and let the final decision be for tha one that calls out to me.
So far that has worked out well in the past.
As long as you keep former wives out of the count.

Jim
Old 23-06-2008, 07:40   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Jim,

Welcome aboard.

Sounds like you have some good plans to start. Doing some training is a good idea. Taking the courses together is a better idea. You both need to understand all this as it make living on a small boat easier when you both know it. If you can sail school boats for a time or join a sail club you can get a lot more experience without the expense of ownership. Delaying the purchase as long as possible while still being able to sail just makes it easier to decide what works and does not work.

Living in small space takes getting used even if only for a week.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 07:52   #5

Pblais, thank you for the reply.
Knowing that my life can depend on the person I am crewing with, learning together is essential for me right now.
I know what they know and what they dont... and they with me.
The small spaces are not a problem, as we road trip constantly in an economy car and share the same motel room when we do.
The only time we are apart is while working, and that is by mutual choice.
I had not considered a sailing club, thank you for that.
I can see I will get high quality information from this forum.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 23-06-2008, 08:48   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Evil One.....HUMMMMM?

Welcome, and to do some research you can go to yachtworld.com. There are other sites, but this one worked for me in getting the right boat for me. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH is the secret along with asking questions to get what you want. BEST WISHES, and welcome to the addiction of sailing
Old 23-06-2008, 09:33   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Make a list of the places you want to go, and keep modifying it as you learn more. For example, a large trailerable sailboat could fit your requirements, and have the added advantages of storing on land, and trailering to far away places. If you opt for a fixed keel monohull, get a shoal draft boat if your destinations call for it. or a deeper draft boat if otherwise. Make sure what ever you get can be single-handed, so one of you can sleep on longer trips. If you don't plan on seeing a lot of big open water, a smaller engine will suffice. Always keep it simple, some little luxuries have big costs. For example, running an airconditioner away from dockside power requires escalations upon escalations in complexity, weight, and expense.

Its only MY opinion, but smaller boats in sheltered waters provide the purest sailing experience and the most fun. Dragging you house around with you dilutes the giggles-per-gallon ratio, and becomes a Quest kind of thing.
Old 24-06-2008, 06:20   #8

Imagine... thanks for the link... I appreciate it.
Sandy, good advice there.
I was thinking of a boat that could be singled, run up and down the east coast, and maybe do week long trips.
A smaller boat could more than likely fill the wants I have.
I am ALL about simplicity, air conditioning never crossed my mind.
I really wouldnt want to run much more in the way of electronics than a modest solar panel could charge the batteries for.

I am looking to get away and enjoy the simple part of life... no need to burden myself with the things I want to escape from.

Jim
Old 24-06-2008, 19:14   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Unlike a pup tent, you can't get out of the boat to dress in the morning, so standing headroom would be very nice. Since it rains on the East Coast, you might want something you and your family would be comfortable inside of for a long evening and night.

While minimal electronics are perfectly adequate, if you are carrying a companion or two, if would be very good to have a fixed mount GPS and fixed mount VHF connected together for DSC, a wonderful improvement in emergency response from the Coast Guard and other rescue organizations. That means a minimal battery charging capability, possibly from an outboard motor or solar panels. But I think you could stop there.

That can all fit on a large trailerable cruiser, or a 27' fixed keel boat. There was actually a catamaran that would fit your needs too: a Heavenly Twins 26, but I've only ever seen one, I think someone was asking $8k for it.
Old 09-07-2008, 23:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
That should read "honest."
regards,
John
Old 09-07-2008, 23:16   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha Jim,
Welcome aboard! There are quite a few boats that'll meet your needs in the up to 27 category but few have standing headroom. I especially like Catalinas but am a bit prejudiced. The make a 25 and a 27 that is beamy enough to handle 5 if a couple are small.
Let us know what you are looking at and we can give you some hones evaluations.
kind regards,
JohnL
Old 10-07-2008, 05:10   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Jim.

Welcome over from the "Dark Side"! Sounds like you're making a good start toward your sailing goals.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02   #13

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Take a look at the MacGregor 26. I started with that before upgrading to our PDQ 32. The Macgregor fit all 6 of my kids and my wife and me for weekends at a time. It was great for the shoal areas and trailering to remote locations. It could never be considered a liveaboard though.

BTW still have the Macgregor for sale if anyone interested.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: