Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2005, 09:30   #1

Boat: Moody 471
Send a message via Skype™ to Borden
Vertical learning curve!

We've been thinking about selling upand sailing away for the past 10 years and over the past 5 years have been casually looking at suitable boats that meet our criteria.

Well blow me! (this is not rude it's an English expression) if we didn't go and buy one three weeks ago at the recent second hand boat show at Hamble Point marina near Southampton, UK.

In a couple of weeks we will own a Moody 471 which has recently retuned from a three year circumnavigation.

It's already fitted out with every bit of hardware and electronic gear I had ever thought of and some I hadn't.

So now we're committed. Courses on SSB radios, survival, first aid and finishing off my RYA Yachmaster Offshore which I started 15 years ago, are but a few of the things we now have in the diary.

As for sailing experience, I've logged over 10,000 miles since starting sailing in 1980 this includes one passage of 1200 miles from the UK to Gibraltar and several crossings of Biscay with deliveries. Yes, I know it's not much!

My wife Jane has done the leg from N Spain (Vigo) to Cadiz plus many miles of general sailing.

I'll be 60 in 2008 and Jane will be 51 in the same year so now seems like as good a time as any to go for it.

There, that's the intro done.

Any suggestions, guidance, do's and don'ts would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Colin & Jane
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 11:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Welcome.
I often warn couples walking down my Marina finger, "careful, you'll end up buying one"
Warnings?? the only warning is don't delay your adventure. Go do it NOW, don't wait.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 13:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You can only do the best you can. You'll need to live with that limitation and hopefully you know those already. It was what you were supposed to do all these years.

An adventure of a lifetime is not measured in miles or oceans. You need to enjoy it and that may be harder than fitting out the boat.

People are not like boats they have very different desires and needs. I only hope you can find your own together. I'm 51 and a few years left to go before I can find mine too.

If you can find your own it will give the rest of us hope. If you can get to the Chesapeake I have a slip for you when you arrive. It's my contibution.

It is really about showing up. You have to be present to win.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 17:28   #4

Boat: currently "on the beach"
congrats ! ( or blow me, if appropriate). it took you a while but - moody 471 - very nice. hope we hear more as you prepare.
capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote