Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-07-2011, 23:11   #16

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Re: 'Vamose' Buchan 37 Returns to Freshwater

On second thought, I see it runs athwartships between the floor timbers. I don't think it will have any fasteners due to lack of space and must have relied on the cabin sole to secure it place up and down. I think once you hack out the foam it should be easily removed. Keep us posted.

Old 27-07-2011, 23:14   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

do NOT foam in the tank.mine is that way --you do nOT want that --i promise. use tabs or some other method f securing it so you dont
waste space
have bs stink
hold dirt
and bilgewater and rainwater sitting in boat in inaccessibe spaces
and all the leaks and other mahyhem originating from foamed in tanks. isnt truly a solid installation.
tabs or straps could be a better idea.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 21:06   #18

Boat: 1970 BUCHAN 37'
I am hoping that I will be able to bring more news after this weekend. I am buying a extra long drill bit, a few nonmetal ripsaw blades and my little catspaw to the boat to try and route, cut, rip, destroy, and kill the foam. We will see if she budges once it is removed. I am hoping that they did not foam in a glassed/bolted tank as a sure measure to make sure the tank didn't move. We will find out when foam is gone. I will take pictures,.... Not that anyone really wants to see that... I sure don't but such is the life of a sailor, we often have to stick our hands in yuck.
Old 28-07-2011, 21:31   #19

Quote:
'Vamose' Buchan 37 Returns to Freshwater
Pics or it didn't happen
Old 03-08-2011, 00:28   #20

Hello,
SO,.. One of the things that animals with intelligence and forethought, are capable of doing is making choices which favor a positive outcomes for that particular individual.
We started late on Saturday around 12:00 at Sears-- good choice.
We bought a 16in drill bit, boring bits, a 16in extension--good choice
We took care of nephew for a couple hours to facilitate ability to escape to the boat--excellent choice (youll see why)
We met up with a couple of friends who both helped us, eventually--best choice
Once we got there, I started by undoing the hose clamps on the fill valve, and one of the other hoses. The fill valve hose was not budging off the valve so I cut it. I think this was the first sign. The smell of the stuffed up bilge box was driving me mad. I think this is what led me to the drastic actions which resulted in escalating my plans unexpectantly.
I started out by fixing my shop-vac, its "blower port" which usually has a screw on cover is missing thus affecting suction and the ability to hold in crap from blowing all over your boat. I used a regular size Peanut Butter container, JIF I believe, and used straps of GORILLA TAPE to stick it down, and secure it in place.
I first used the 16 inch drill bit (new toy), at the widest thickest part of the foam and sank it down easily through six inches of foamyness. It seemed the only area not affected by the flow of water through the bilge, but was the most visible and accessible. I drilled multiple holes along the same side straight down. Then using the drill like a rotozip, pushed and busted up the foam while we sucked it up with the vac!!! We then repeated the same on all sides some of which contained water, which had already began rotting the foam. The extent of the foam at this point was unknown, and the mixture of water and destroyed foam was thick, the shop vac had the standard attachment, which would not collect the puddle of gunk we were creating .
We switched to the routing bits with extension, and recieved simuliar results, When using the drill and the vac at the same time was the most efficient it seemed. We worked on this for several hours, and at least severerly damaged the structure of the foamy grave encasing the fueltank. We pulled up with all our might. Still no budge. We also had flatcrow bars and a giant crowbar for pryage. We really were trying While we were working there were several warnings about "carefull" "watch your angle there" "lookout that is a supporting floor beam" "wires,..move the wires" comming from both my friends and I. We were being precautious, practical, sensible...sane. But we were not getting anywhere. I would need to access the subfloor to see else was holding it in place. This requires access.
I would blame my second friend for his early departure before the ensuing event, because he is the more patient and quite honestly smartest out of the three of us. I would blame him, but I can't. I have to blame my love for the boat, my egocentric theory of if someone else can do it so can I, and lastly the economy for the decision to cut up my floorboards.
My friend and I went back to my house to grab, the Skillsaw,..It all was working out nicely I had found a pencil at the boat, traced out the design I thought would give enough workspace, and access to the areas we needed.
My first two cuts went well. I wasn't quite concerned about it being perfect, but I was really trying to do it right, I had a 45 degree angle on the cuts so they could be put back down, they were shallow, at an inch or slightly under. It was looking good.
On the third cut, infront of the galley stove is where the water started shooting into the cabin.
As I stared in disbelief as a spout of 7-10 inches of water shot through the floors. Everything possible ran through my mind of course including the cost of refloating a sunk boat--I gathered myself together and had my friend run to the Night Watchman, whose name is Gary, and they gathered the Heavy Duty Bilge pump (we never used) and came down to assist me. I had grabbed one of the two seat cushions I had aboard and was standing on top of it to hold it against the gush. Gary asked if I had a drill and screws to see about sealing the hole with a piece of wood. I had drills but no screw bit, I had screws but they were too long, and I had thrown away all the sealant caulk I had aboard. My friend grabbed some cotton rags and hammered them into the tiny gash with a screwdriver which slowed the flow but did not stop the egress of water into the boat. I almost lost it when Gary handed me the number for a Diving and Salvage company, I thought she was going down. I called Michael, who works for Ballard Marine Diving and Salvage, he had a larger time window than I was comfortable with so refered me to Dwayne over at Emerald City Diving, Dwayne and me talked and since I was already overdue for a haulout, he suggested I get an Emergency Haulout. I told him I didn't know any of the Yard owners, how could I get ahold of them? Dwayne said,"I know a guy. Let me call you right back" Within minutes he had called me back stating that a friend of his has a yard and would be able to be there in 45 min. This was at approximately 9:20PM, I got called back by a gentleman who asked me where my boat was, what slip was she in, how big was the hole, I answered his questions and he told me he'd be there in 35 minutes. THANK YOU GOD. The gentlemans name was John Dunato. He is a wonderful man, he was calm, jolly, pleasant, and lastly professiona*/cise with the travelift and despite us not knowing the exact shape of her hull and prop placement lifted her out without so much as a bump. His assistant Bonnie was a younger woman, we handled the ropes and boat position in the slings. When we got her up and over he checked and rechecked, positioned and repositioned the blocks we were setting her on, with shims and pieces of wood. He even re-re-adjusted them. The whole time maintaining a personable, humorous, bedside manner about the whole ordeal. Despite it being 11:00 on a Saterday night.
All this happened in the nightime, by the time it happened my cell was dead. So there are no pictures, no pictures of the repair, no pictures of the event, no pictures of the way that John and Bonnie busted their asses to get me out of the water, or the rescue. The few pictures I had of us working on the boat got killed when my iphone reset itself. But it all reallllllllly happened. He has a boatyard located in the Lake Union Ship Canal by the water in Fremont, The name is Dunato's Marine Service he has been in business for 41 years.
Some of the choices I made did have a positive outcomes. I didn't sink the boat, and hopefully made a friend. And now shes hauled out... Mission Successful?
Old 10-08-2011, 18:12   #21

Bump?
Old 10-08-2011, 18:14   #22

Here's a pic of her on the hard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3602920014.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	30353  
Old 10-08-2011, 22:13   #23

Looks odd seeing such a long boom. Mine was shortened some where along the line when they put up the 50' stick. Are you going to leave her blue or repaint? Doing the bottom while she's out? More pics!
Old 10-08-2011, 23:50   #24

After the ordeal involving my little accident, we decided to have the boatyard get the whole bilge free running ie were putting in new large limber holes with a section of pipe fitted in each one and flanges that will protect the wood, getting the fuel tank out and all the gunk cleaned out. New centerline bilge with a new through hull with an automatic float switch and panel control. It will be clean and functional. I wanted to know I had security in case of another hull breach. I was looking through the book Singlehanding by Meisel and read the part about a 2.5 inch hole two feet below the waterline generate 100,000 gallons of water in an hour, that wil easily overwhelm the 1500 gph their installing. My thoughts of security went away the bottom paint is next on the list, but I also would like to do the rigging. The cheap way is to do it yourself but I have only been aloft on my dads boat when I was like 10 and weighed 75 pounds. The cables look good. But the terminals are a little questionable. I will be checking on the progress tomorrow and will take more pictures.
Old 14-08-2011, 13:00   #25

It was a custom made tank which was way deeper than I had originally thought. looks salvageable though. I will send pics from phone. My nephew killed my laptop trying to water it. He's two. So now on to the other structural functional parts of the boat. I'm in freshwater so I heard bottom paint is not so much of a concern. I intend on painting it eventually. Riggings next on my list. then making sure rudder shaft is good to go with no possible leaking in the future. he whole boat has cosmetic damage to the paint but yes I will be leaving her blue. Might change the bottom to Maroon because that is my fathers color on Kamui his Endevour 38.
Old 15-08-2011, 15:45   #26

Here's a pic of the tank. You think I can save it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3380416157.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	30522  
Old 18-08-2011, 19:59   #27

From the picture, I would say yes. A closer look would be in order to tell for sure. If there are any pin hole leaks they can be welded easy enough. If there are any areas that have corroded thin they could also be patched. The cost of a replacement tank in that custom shape would be pretty pricey. If you suspect any bad spots I can weld them for you, or my neighbor (the pro welder) may do it as a favor to me.
Old 18-08-2011, 23:37   #28

Definately need a welder in my life. As well as a fiberglass wizard and a leak bounty hunter . Here is a question for you about the standing rigging, would it be too risky to see how the shrouds take the load while at the dock? IE raising the main and jib at the dock to see how she fairs? Not hat Fishermans terminal needs me to have another accident at the slip, but I am afraid getting someone to inspect it will therefore result with them saying replace everything. I was out today (on my friends boat) watching all the sailboats out on the water really makes me hope I will at least get to take her out once in the first year i have had her.
Old 19-08-2011, 12:49   #29

I don't think I would "test" my rigging at the dock, meaning hoisting the canvas on an intentionaly gusty day. If it fails the test you're liable for the damage and your insurance company may have some sneaky clause getting them out paying because the damage was due to questionable behavior. It's best to inspect your rigging before you load it. If any of it is marginal and must be replaced it will only be the cost of those componants, even if it is all the components it's still cheaper not to add the broken mast into the mix. If you are really itchen to get sailin' on a Buchan, we could take you out some time soon if our weekends line up.
Old 21-08-2011, 11:18   #30

Mark I PMd you. My telephone is 206-390-7816 my email is inthenameofthefree@gmail.com. I was thinking more along the lines of a controlled experiment with extreme caution. I know that we have not learned how to control the wind yet and that it varies in force and direction. I would never try this with full weather. Or even on a gusty day. I was thinking more along the lines of a slight breeze. This way I am not endangering anyone or anything. Insurance companies aren't the most understanding people. The mast seems solid. I would be more concerned about snapping a shroud or shearing a terminal or clew?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: