Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2006, 04:32   #1

Uni Student in need of help

Hello All,

My name is James, and I'm a Uni student doing a summer project with the University of Glasgow in Scotland.

My team's project involves researching marketing and promotional strategies for boatyards in various locations of Europe.

So far we've uncovered that one of the most effective methods for cruisers to find boatyards is by word of mouth--just talking with knowledgeable contacts.

Can anyone here confirm this idea? Do you have any personal stories about finding a specific boatyard in a certain location? What would make you recommend one boatyard over another to a friend?

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated and go a long way in my research. Thanks!

-James
roseneath17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:50   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I'd do a copy and paste and start a thread in the sailboat, power boat and multihull forums. Not as many visit here as those three combined.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 18:03   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Effective?
I suppose that depends on how you define the word "effective". The problem with word of mouth is that first, you don't meet a lot of mouths when you need them. And second, of course, you can't be sure of the quality of the information unless you know the source.
So 'effective' ? Sure, if it comes from your small circle of friends in a timely manner. But totally ineffective from the boatyards point of view, they're not reaching many new customers that way unless they are willing to wait a few years.
Good (and possibly the best) LONG-TERM marketing, but that's not necessarily effective marketing if you need business this year or next year.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote