Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2008, 09:03   #16

UMotive/Freebird, Dufour 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
The latest reports have those pesky pirates of Somalia operating more than 200 miles from shore. I realize you save 1000 kilometers with this route, but the other way around appears much safer. Go West dear Nikki ... go West (then south).

Actually, I favor Boracay's advice. sell the boat, take the profit and buy a ticket to America where you can hang out with many of the pirates on this forum before assuming family responsibilities in SA. This sounds like the prudent option...
How far south?! after going west, that is. My boat is in Greece. Mallorca, I might have still considered going west, It's a breeze to Suez from Levkas, no?
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 09:09   #17
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
If the Pirates of Somalia didn't exist, I'd wholeheartedly agree. Since they do exist, the shorter route will almost certainly be a somewhat risky venture. Are we to understand that you have 3-4 months of your time available for such a trip? The boat is in proper condition for a trip to the roaring 40's?

It would appear that I have to get ready for yet another storm heading my way. I was hoping that the one tropical storm was going to be it this season.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 21:18   #18

Hi there Rick
I am presently on the Indian ocean side of the Cape, South Africa, where our coastline has been battered by storms and exceptionally high water, which has completely changed the face of our local estuary.
It made me realise that the weather is indeed out of control and that big ocean sailing itself has become very risky! To answer your question, the boat is in a great condition, but I'd rather have a steel boat for the roaring 40's and the SA coast-line, which is now know to be full of debis from floods and storms, eating away the coastline!
Guess I should not exaggerate, you are more so in the firing line where you are. Keep safe and strong!
Nikki
PS I am going to sell Freebird .ri
Old 02-09-2008, 02:00   #19

Boat: C&C 38'
It is a shame that you want to sail in Feb. We retire in June and plan on returning to the USA and buying our boat there. We would have been interested in delaying our boat purchase for 4 months and geting some "big boat" sailing experience. We have only owned small sailing dingy and outboard ski boats. Plus you could probabily feel safe around missionaries! Sorry you have decided to sale your boat after getting her ready for sail. The English language is strange! Keep the faith, Jerry
Old 02-09-2008, 03:47   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Sometimes I don't get you Sully..............

Ahhh... I take it this refers to my little quip/joke about not taking Americans?

It comes from spending a good part of my life traveling overseas and understanding the world and its cultures.

In many places, there is a preference not to take on American crew at this time.

You gotta start using that Passport!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:10   #21

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
please see the thread Pirates in the gulf of Aden.

If you've got four months to get home spending two months in the Med shiuldn't hurt and is a good chance to shake out the crew before the sailing gets serious.
Option 2 is to sail her back to, say Portugal, and deck cargo her to where you want her. I'll be free in Feb for the med and in no rush. might even have done some training by then!!!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:20   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Hi there Rick
I am presently on the Indian ocean side of the Cape, South Africa, where our coastline has been battered by storms and exceptionally high water, which has completely changed the face of our local estuary.
It made me realise that the weather is indeed out of control and that big ocean sailing itself has become very risky! To answer your question, the boat is in a great condition, but I'd rather have a steel boat for the roaring 40's and the SA coast-line, which is now know to be full of debis from floods and storms, eating away the coastline!
Guess I should not exaggerate, you are more so in the firing line where you are. Keep safe and strong!
Nikki
PS I am going to sell Freebird .ri
Indian Ocean? Then your route is certainly more feasible. I would slow down in making the decision to sell Freebird. There must have been a good reason you've put time and effort into her, and now's not the time to 2nd guess yourself.

It would appear I'm about to host a visit by what will be Hurricane Hanna on Friday. I'll be running for a hurricane hole tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:24   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
It would appear I'm about to host a visit by what will be Hurricane Hanna on Friday. I'll be running for a hurricane hole tomorrow.

I know where you're going!

Best of luck, Rick. I hope you stop getting so many atmospheric visitors soon...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:48   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I know where you're going!

Best of luck, Rick. I hope you stop getting so many atmospheric visitors soon...
Yeah, me too, I've already had enough fun. And yes, you're correct, if it's more than a category 1, that's where I'm going.

The last one was a a walk in the park. We only lost one boat (the Gemini catamaran) and a couple of furled jibs. Tonight I'm doing a quickie ground tackle clinic for the newbies in the marina. Got any spare fire hose (Chafing gear)?

My friend, you can be very glad you're still not visiting down here in "paradise".
Old 02-09-2008, 09:34   #25

Sorry dude but I travel a bit also. Folks are the same everywhere: some are honorable, some are thieves, most simply try to get by.

Color, gender, political leaning, religious affiliation, or passport designation doesn't really matter to me. I do try to avoid taking asshats on my boat though.

Joli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Ahhh... I take it this refers to my little quip/joke about not taking Americans?

It comes from spending a good part of my life traveling overseas and understanding the world and its cultures.

In many places, there is a preference not to take on American crew at this time.

You gotta start using that Passport!
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:29   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rick, there are claims that the west side of Africa is not free from piracy either.

EagleSpeak: U.S. Navy to help with West African piracy

Combatting piracy and armed robbery against ships - call for international Code

Nikki, perhaps you could make a business arrangement with a sailing school located either where you are, or where the boat is, and formally charter the boat to them so that they could use if for a "passagemaking" course, returning it to you and settling out whatever finances after it got there?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 13:09   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
my beloved Dufour 39 (FRERS 1984) is in Greece
A cr#ppy decision to have to make - but I think sell is the right one.

Especially if she is EU Vat paid (I am guessing so?).......cos' if you ever sell her outside the EU then she loses VAT paid status (ie the new owner would have to pay again if ever permanently returning the boat to the EU)........of course in SA the buyer probably won't care - but as she already has a VAT element built into her value within the EU makes sense to sell her within the EU if you can.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 13:26   #28
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Originally Posted by ssullivan
What a great opportunity for an American (if you take those kind... ha ha) to experience some exotic travel.
Sometimes I don't get you Sully..............

Joli, you need to watch the Simpsons or go to Walmart and then you will understand Sully
Old 03-09-2008, 10:59   #29

SV Freebird, location Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
It is a shame that you want to sail in Feb. We retire in June and plan on returning to the USA and buying our boat there. We would have been interested in delaying our boat purchase for 4 months and geting some "big boat" sailing experience. We have only owned small sailing dingy and outboard ski boats. Plus you could probabily feel safe around missionaries! Sorry you have decided to sale your boat after getting her ready for sail. The English language is strange! Keep the faith, Jerry
Hi Jerry,
You are three hours away from me, I am in Plettenbergbay. Ho, you mean you are going to throw money into the proverbial hole in the ocean? Well, I had planned to make my boat my home, in which case I reckon that sailing is affordable. Sorry, something needs to happen before Feb.
Have you done any sailing in PE?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:08   #30

judgement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Sorry dude but I travel a bit also. Folks are the same everywhere: some are honorable, some are thieves, most simply try to get by.

Color, gender, political leaning, religious affiliation, or passport designation doesn't really matter to me. I do try to avoid taking asshats on my boat though.

Joli
Refer to cowboy sailors quote