Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 11:21   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
please see the thread Pirates in the gulf of Aden.

If you've got four months to get home spending two months in the Med shiuldn't hurt and is a good chance to shake out the crew before the sailing gets serious.
Option 2 is to sail her back to, say Portugal, and deck cargo her to where you want her. I'll be free in Feb for the med and in no rush. might even have done some training by then!!!
I will keep you posted. The shipping story is not really an option- too costly! PS I could not think of anything more trying then 'shaking out the crew' for 2 months in the Med. I like non-stop sailing alot and for me a good formula for my size boat is 3 people, 2 who know what they are doing and one who is a quick learner, doing 3 hour watches and not too much land hugging.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:27   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Indian Ocean? Then your route is certainly more feasible. I would slow down in making the decision to sell Freebird. There must have been a good reason you've put time and effort into her, and now's not the time to 2nd guess yourself.

It would appear I'm about to host a visit by what will be Hurricane Hanna on Friday. I'll be running for a hurricane hole tomorrow.
I'm trying to figure out what second guess myself means, but take your time to tell me, it must be hectic where you are.
I'm feeling my way around in the dark, can't be sensible, must wait for a sign...
Old 03-09-2008, 11:33   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Rick, there are claims that the west side of Africa is not free from piracy either.

EagleSpeak: U.S. Navy to help with West African piracy

Combatting piracy and armed robbery against ships - call for international Code

Nikki, perhaps you could make a business arrangement with a sailing school located either where you are, or where the boat is, and formally charter the boat to them so that they could use if for a "passagemaking" course, returning it to you and settling out whatever finances after it got there?
Great idea, I'd better get myself onto a sailing school blog!
I am more worried about unpredictable weather patterns than pirates, tho' being out there may be a different story.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:40   #34

VAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
A cr#ppy decision to have to make - but I think sell is the right one.

Especially if she is EU Vat paid (I am guessing so?).......cos' if you ever sell her outside the EU then she loses VAT paid status (ie the new owner would have to pay again if ever permanently returning the boat to the EU)........of course in SA the buyer probably won't care - but as she already has a VAT element built into her value within the EU makes sense to sell her within the EU if you can.
This VAT thing is very odd. Has anyone out there ever been asked to produce their certificate? To sell and not to sail then!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:43   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Speaking of weather and odd events at sea...as I recall there was some discussion about why some small ships were lost off west africa, and some discussion about large methane releases from sediments causing toxic gas releases. Does anyone know if that was ever wrapped up & documented pro or con?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:06   #36

Quote:
Speaking of weather and odd events at sea...as I recall there was some discussion about why some small ships were lost off west africa, and some discussion about large methane releases from sediments causing toxic gas releases. Does anyone know if that was ever wrapped up & documented pro or con?
Hi, I don't know about the methane, but I'm sure that some of the stories about boats disappearing can be connected to piracy. Hungry people can be ruthless, greedy people are also hungry ghosts!
Old 07-09-2008, 16:39   #37
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
I'm trying to figure out what second guess myself means, but take your time to tell me, it must be hectic where you are.
I'm feeling my way around in the dark, can't be sensible, must wait for a sign...
I guess "2nd guess yourself" is a very American expression. I understand South Africans have a few expressions that would raise eyebrows here in the States.

"2nd guess yourself" means that based on available information, you made a decision. Once that decision is made, don't question it and/or change it. Give it a chance to work out.

Selling a boat, that means a lot to you, in a weak economy is a draconian measure.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 16:47   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Well the "second guess" is questioning the first decision.

i.e. - There's a big storm coming. Let's sail northeast. The storm doesn't get better. Let's head south (second guess) which takes you to the eye of the storm.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:16   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
I guess "2nd guess yourself" is a very American expression. I understand South Africans have a few expressions that would raise eyebrows here in the States.

"2nd guess yourself" means that based on available information, you made a decision. Once that decision is made, don't question it and/or change it. Give it a chance to work out.

Selling a boat, that means a lot to you, in a weak economy is a draconian measure.
Hi Rick

Thanks for that, stands to reason! Latest fashion here is using the word 'hectic'. You're having hectic weather and I am having a hectic time surfing the internet to try to find a buyer for my boat.
Question is, is the ecomomy ever going to be better in a bankrupt world?
Old 08-09-2008, 12:30   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

nikki-
What's "better" ? Right now the economy is INCREDIBLY GREAT! If you're one of the many folks who made money by taking it from others. Some people produce wealth and add value, others just shift it around. Whether that's good or bad (economically speaking) is just a question of which end you're on.
It's a great time to buy a boat--because so many people have to sell one, not so good for them. And a great time to buy a home, because the mad speculators have been bankrupted off the market. (Unfortunately, along with a mess of innocents.)

In both Chinese and Tarot cards, "chaos" and "opportunity" are different versions of the same events.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:52   #41

Quote:
nikki-
What's "better" ? Right now the economy is INCREDIBLY GREAT! If you're one of the many folks who made money by taking it from others. Some people produce wealth and add value, others just shift it around. Whether that's good or bad (economically speaking) is just a question of which end you're on.
It's a great time to buy a boat--because so many people have to sell one, not so good for them. And a great time to buy a home, because the mad speculators have been bankrupted off the market. (Unfortunately, along with a mess of innocents.)

In both Chinese and Tarot cards, "chaos" and "opportunity" are different versions of the same events.
I see what you are saying. Gee, did I come across as 'feel sorry for me...?'
Actually my alternative life is another dream come true, growing food, planting lots of indigenous trees, aiming to be self sufficient so that I no longer have to think about that other 'ecomomy' going on. I have retreated to the hills and am grateful.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:54   #42
cruiser

Quote:

Chaositunity?

(stolen from "crisitunity" from the Simpsons)
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 13:48   #43
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Actually my alternative life is another dream come true, growing food, planting lots of indigenous trees, aiming to be self sufficient so that I no longer have to think about that other 'ecomomy' going on. I have retreated to the hills and am grateful.
Hey wait a minute. Don't you need a platoon of regulars to protect you from the:

Lions
Tigers
Zulu tribesmen
Zimbabwe refugees

It would appear that cruising in your very impressive yacht while engaging a few pirates would be positively sedate by comparison. Or have I been watching too much TV?

Hmmm... you must have married the "Great White Hunter" or something along those lines. Now, if you can just convince him to get on the darn boat..
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote