Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 20:03   #1

Trial by Fire ?

I've been thinking about getting into sailing for quite some time now, my problem is I've never been on a sail boat and I have zero experience. I would love to buy a boat and plunk it in the water and teach myself how to sail. I know this may sound anti social but that is how I would prefer to learn. I am a very hands on person and I love the challenge. Anyone get started this way? or is this a crazy idea? I would be doing it on lake Ontario.
floater81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 20:16   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: trial by fire?

Bumfuzzles did it but went one step further. They sailed around the world with basically no experience from day one. Caused quite a controversy on the forum and still does. bumfuzzle.com Start at the beginning about 7 years ago. Be forewarned. Their blog is addicting. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 20:25   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard CF and enjoy the site...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 20:39   #4

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982

Welcome Aboard

I say do it get a little trailer sailing won't cost anymore then a dirt bike or snow machine don't go out when the wind is too crazy at first .....if your hooked you sell and get something bigger. If its not for you when you sell it you have not invested to much and can walk away a bit wiser and understand yourself more.

But being on a boat and sailing is awesome...I'm biased
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 20:48   #5

that's exactly what I was hoping someone would say, I can see there is a lot to learn but I look forward to it.
Old 04-06-2011, 21:03   #6

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982

Hey Floater

This is my first big boa.....t I sailed and raced as a young man. I am really enjoying the education and challenge of the big boat but to just have a heap of fun sailing a small boat has less to maintain and more actual sailing time for someone starting out.

Throw a few things into it have a weekend away...

Now comes the search...its great fun too take some time tho don't grab the first thing you see unless it really is great value. You got a budget?

Cheers
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 21:07   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater81 View Post
I've been thinking about getting into sailing for quite some time now, my problem is I've never been on a sail boat and I have zero experience. I would love to buy a boat and plunk it in the water and teach myself how to sail. I know this may sound anti social but that is how I would prefer to learn. I am a very hands on person and I love the challenge. Anyone get started this way? or is this a crazy idea? I would be doing it on lake Ontario.
It's not a bad idea to hire someone to show you how all the thing-a-majigs hookup to the the watcha-ma-callits and to show you how to keep from bumping things you won't want to bump at the beginning and end of each sail but getting going's not that big of a deal. Read some good books and make sure you know how to keep the water on the outside and the pointy end up and you can teach yourself what you need to know.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 21:45   #8

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I have the same kind of big boat as Felix and sometimes I wish I had a small boat too, they're a lot of fun. Most small fiberglass sailboats have flotation built in so you can't sink them but they're really slow when they're full of water. Get something that they made a lot of and you can get online rigging instructions and you can find parts easily. I sold my Flying Scot for $2500.00 and it was a perfect boat to learn on. It wasn't my first boat, far from it, but it was the best for low cost fun. Hell, it was the best. Period.
Old 04-06-2011, 23:21   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixqld66 View Post
Welcome Aboard

I say do it get a little trailer sailing won't cost anymore then a dirt bike or snow machine don't go out when the wind is too crazy at first .....if your hooked you sell and get something bigger. If its not for you when you sell it you have not invested to much and can walk away a bit wiser and understand yourself more.

But being on a boat and sailing is awesome...I'm biased
Ditto what Felix Said
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:51   #10

Re: Trial by Fire ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater81 View Post
REad up on Chay Blythe
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:22   #11

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Start with something small... it will be a lot cheaper.. but I think its a great idea!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:32   #12

Boat: private yacht always moving

buy a small boat and give it a shot,,,,if you like it you will not be in a small boat for long,,,,,, if you do not like it you can easily sell it and go on to something new,,,buy a book and do some reading,,, i learned lots that way,,,trial and error works good for me,,,,i still learned from having friends onboard that knew more than me but the majority learned while sailing by myself
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:09   #13

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I have an eye on a couple small boats. I thought about doing the same thing to get started. I probably would if I wasn't in Germany. Spending a few thousand on a starter boat isn't so bad. Well worth the learning you get out of it.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:58   #14

i'm don't want to spend more than $10,000 at the moment. I've been looking at a "1972 C&C Yachts 27 Mk. I Sloop" It has a long list of accesories (not sure what half the stuff is lol) an on board gas motor and a new paintjob. the guy is asking 10,000
Old 06-06-2011, 08:06   #15

Boat: Morgan 41 OI
I am a hands on teach myself person also. I had never ridden a motorcycle when I bought my first Harley and taught myself pretty quick. I had never sailed anything bigger than a 14' sunfish as a child and took the plunge and bought a 30' sailboat. I have had a blast sailing it on our local lake. I will say I learned a lot by watching the rigger re rig my boat when I had it delivered. I had a few outings with the previous owner and took it from there. DO IT!!
Columbia30 is offline   Reply With Quote