Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Wife left. Sold house. Buying boat. Sailing around world. Good idea or Bad idea?
Yes, go for it! 171 89.06%
No, you're crazy! 3 1.56%
Yes, and I want to come with you! 16 8.33%
No, but I have a great friend, sister, daughter for you to meet. 2 1.04%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21   #31

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Personally if I didn't have the walking ballast, I'd go for something a little more manageable - unless you really need to keep some distance between you and the dog. I would be all over this one: 2008 Steel Sloop Hans Dehmel Center-Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:36   #32

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Man! What a beauty! That's a 35? Look at all that room!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:00   #33

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Personally if I didn't have the walking ballast, I'd go for something a little more manageable - unless you really need to keep some distance between you and the dog. I would be all over this one: 2008 Steel Sloop Hans Dehmel Center-Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Buy the boat and go for it. You will not loose much money even if you want to sell it latter. this is a good deal...presuming there are no hidden vices eh!
Q1
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:17   #34

Boat: Land Locked... ugh
I agree with Quebec 1. I think that one can be sold a few years from now for about the same price. It'll be interesting to see what a survey turns up though.
RayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:21   #35
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Man! What a beauty! That's a 35? Look at all that room!

I wonder why they lie about the build date? Year: 2008 "completely refitted in 2008"

So whats the build date? Why hide it?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:23   #36

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
What buying the boat you want, live aboard for a while, cruise coastally, with the seasons, and go as crew for longer trips?
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:01   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleptic View Post
5. Is this whole thing a bad idea? Should I just be boring and buy a condo somewhere?
I have no idea if it is a good idea for you - but sounds a reasonable plan. I would suggest however a plan B sketched out (getting cold, wet & scared ain't always as much fun as it sounds )...........dunno about buying a condo somewhere, but if you have the budget to buy and run a 50 footer RTW then you could easily fund a pretty much endless vacation onshore in the poorer / prettier parts of the world if willing to give up 5 star hotels 24/7/365.

Of course whichever option you choose the one constant will be "you" and whatever that involves - at times over the years I have found that aspect of travelling to distant lands somewhat annoying and the distance itself no "answer", but journies can provide perspective - even if not a cure all............for some things in life you get to put them behind you and move on - for other things there is no "cure" to find, yer just get to learn how to carry them. and that sometimes this involves putting things down. for a while - for some things / people you are allowed to do that........because you will always be choosing to pick them back up again.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:05   #38

Hi all,

That steel boat looks great, but I think I want to go with something a little bit bigger. I should have mentioned a few other things in my original post.

1. I have a lot of experience with carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, painting, diving etc. so I plan on doing most of the work myself. Therefore, I don't think the price difference will be that much more significant for a larger boat. Marina fees, insurance, parts, fuel etc. are a different matter, but I am willing to spend a bit more for the added comfort and security a larger boat provides.

2. I am sure there are hundreds of similar people who have grand ideas of buying a boat and sailing around the world. Unfortunately, for myriad reasons, many of these well-intentioned people fall short of actually doing it. I recognize that since I don't have a lot of long-distance sailing experience, I may discover that after a few months, for any number of reasons (including lonliness), I don't really want to complete a circumnavigation. Therefore, my plan is to live on the boat, learn to sail it proficiently in coastal waters and on short. week-long trips, and then sail south through the Caribbean, Panama, and check out the Gallapagos Islands. I figure that will be a good decision point. I will re-evaluate things, and either keep going west via the Pacific, or head north towards the Bay Area in California (where my family lives). One of the reasons a larger boat appeals to me is because if I decide not to complete the circumnavigation, I will probably live on the boat in a marina for at least a year or two until I figure out the next chapter of my life. Also, this re-evaluation will give me the opportunity to decide how things have worked out with the dogs. I would very much like to take them with me the whole way, but if I feel the difficulties and/or their safety are issues, I can leave them with family in California. I have read a lot about bringing pets cruising, and there is no strong consensus one way or the other. I figure I won't know until I try. The cockpit layout on the 50 provides ample of room for a piece of Astroturf, and between dragging it behind the boat and a freshwater washdown pump that I plan on installing, keeping things clean shouldn't be too bad. Furthermore, there is enough space in the salon that if for some reason I had to go ashore in a country where they were forbidden, I could leave them on the boat for the day and just clean up the mess if necessary.

3. As for lonliness, that is probably my biggest single concern with my trip. What are some of your experiences with dealing with this. I hope to have various people accompany me for most of the long passages, but I want to be able to singlehand when needed or desired. I am pretty laid back and easy to get along with, so I figure I can always resort to "crew needed" postings. I have found that sailors are among the best groups of folks I have met, and I am actually looking forward to building new friendships. As many of you may be able to relate to, with a divorce you don't just lose your spouse, but many of your previous "friends". I am looking forward to replenishing my friend pool. I know that traditionally cruising cannot be counted on as a way to find romance, but hey, I can still hope right? Maybe I will be lucky and meet a like-minded woman who wants to share and adventure with me. In that case the extra space will be useful.

4. The Beneteau is the 2 cabin owner's version. I love all of the storage space, and I am sure I will use most of it. I forgot to mention this, but I have been SCUBA diving since I was 13, and even worked as a PADI instructor in college, and later as a rescue diver/paramedic through a fire department. I plan on getting a MAX AIR compressor and exploring the underwater world along the voyage, so for me, storage is key. I plan on making several modifications that will increase the sleeping areas (adjustable legs on salon table, convert the couch to a sea bearth, and build a frame and cushions for the huge forward sail locker). This will provide sleeping for at least 8, and there is enough room in the salon for an aero bed which would increase it to 10 (when at anchor, not while underway). Realistically, how often will I have that many people on board. I think I would rather have storage and space than extra cabins. Do you think this is a wise decision?

5. As for upgrades, I plan on installing the following in order or importance:

Solar Panels

Water maker (Katadyn 40 or 80). Thoughts? I know Spectra is good too, but since I already have a Katadyn emergency desalinator that uses the same membranes...

AID
SSB or Satphone
Liferaft
Freshwater washdown pump (wash dogs, rinse dive gear, etc.)
Emergency auto pilot (windvane etc.) Is this really necessary with today's autopilots?
Flat screen tv (will help with lonliness)
Wind generator (if I can find a good used one for cheap). Don't want to get too cluttered

There is already a 8kw generator and radar.

Any other suggestions?

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to comment. You folks are the experts, and I value your knowledge. One day, I hope to be able to add my own wisdom to this forum. For now I will say this; I just came from helping my next door neighbor/ friend use the toilet. He is 41 years old and he has maybe a week to live (brain cancer). I have discussed my plans with him, and he reminded me that, "On their deathbed, no one ever wishes they had worked more. They regret not living life to the fullest when they had the chance". After a few close calls with death myself, I am even more inclined to take the risks and just go for it. If nothing else, I figure I can sell the boat in a year and hopefully not lose too much money. I will have had a place to live, learned a lot, and met some great people. Right??? Right???

Thanks again,

Eric
sleptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 14:28   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I am reminded of the old story - My wife ran off with my best mate - Gee I miss him.

Eric my mate - Go for it. You are Right - give it a shot if it works - great - if it doesnt - well its a great adventure.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 14:32   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Eric;

If I were you, I would find a really cheap 30 footer, and take 6 months to a year on that boat. Once you have done that, you will have a MUCH better idea of what features of a boat are important to YOU. Then, dump the boat quickly, sell at a loss, no big deal because you did not spend much to begin with, and buy the boat of your dreams...

Working on boats is different from working on houses. I had lots of house experience, which helped on the boat, but I would have done several things different now, then I did three years ago when we first got our boat. A "Starter" boat means not just about the learning to sail stuff, but maintenance, etc as well.

Chbris

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 14:36   #41

Boat: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Eric;

If I were you, I would find a really cheap 30 footer, and take 6 months to a year on that boat. Once you have done that, you will have a MUCH better idea of what features of a boat are important to YOU. Then, dump the boat quickly, sell at a loss, no big deal because you did not spend much to begin with, and buy the boat of your dreams...

Working on boats is different from working on houses. I had lots of house experience, which helped on the boat, but I would have done several things different now, then I did three years ago when we first got our boat. A "Starter" boat means not just about the learning to sail stuff, but maintenance, etc as well.

Chbris

Chris
I think Chris is onto something here. There are plenty of places -- of all description -- to comfortably cruise in a smaller boat from the US east coast too.

Once you make the decision, the rest is all just details.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:37   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
Maybe I will be lucky and meet a like-minded woman who wants to share and adventure with me
The ratio of single guy sailors to single women sailors out here is something like 7 to 1. I would suggest that you try to find your sailing companion before you leave.
Old 01-06-2010, 15:39   #43

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
3. As for loneliness, that is probably my biggest single concern with my trip. What are some of your experiences with dealing with this.
Take the dogs. When I was road tripping a lot, way back when, my dog was my buddy. Hell, I didn't get married til I was 32. I think I liked the dog better..now that I look back.. They don't argue.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:45   #44
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
Take the dogs. When I was road tripping a lot, way back when, my dog was my buddy. Hell, I didn't get married til I was 32. I think I liked the dog better..now that I look back.. They don't argue.

Off topic, but I take yours doesn't read your posts like my does!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:47   #45

Boat: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
The ratio of single guy sailors to single women sailors out here is something like 7 to 1. I would suggest that you try to find your sailing companion before you leave.
Bah humbug! Statistics and love are mortal enemies. Who says you need a chick with a sailboat anyway? Just a girl who wouldn't mind sailing (or who'll convince you that you wouldn't mind *not* sailing).
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, circumnavigation, east coast, pets, wife, boat