Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-07-2016, 16:22   #1

total newb to boating

Hi all. I've recently been captivated by the idea of cruising the Great Lakes area with my wife in a 35-40ish foot power cruiser that we can overnight. Michigan has so many wonderful port towns to experience. It sounds like such a great idea. As a total newbie to boating I'm learning as much as I can but I welcome any input from the experienced here on this great forum. I'd welcome advice about boating in general, overnighting, boats to buy, cruising the Great Lakes. Like I said, I'm trying to absorb it all. I don't even know anyone that is in to boating.

I was originally intrigued with some wooden classic Chris Craft cruisers I saw. They are so beautiful. They remind me of restored classic cars. Anyway, while I'm not looking for a wooden classic I am interested in older classic fiberglass boats from the 70's & early 80's. So glad I found this forum! Rob

RobGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 18:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: total newb to boating

Welcome aboard CF.

It sounds as if you're more interested in power than sail. It's not quite like driving a car around, there are new-to-you "rules of the road", called Colregs to learn. Hiring people to work on your boat is just as much of a pig in a poke as with cars, but perhaps a higher level of unreliability. When you are on the water, it will take help longer to arrive than it usually does on land, and water is basically a bit hostile to humans from the perspectives of hypothermia and drowning.

Generally, people hire the appropriate kind of surveyor, to assure that the major systems on your new boat are functional. There is a thread here on CF called "Surveying 101" that will give you a hint of what's required. Never simply assume a boat you're looking at is safe for you and your good lady--have it checked out. Your first boat will teach you what you want in the next boat, and so on, so don't spend all the $$ on the first one, and therefore, I suggest you start with the simplest, smallest one you two find that you both think you might be able to be happy on. Large, complicated boats have lots more to go wrong, and you'll spend more time waiting on marine service providers.

PS. Specific questions, posted in the appropriate motor boat forum, will get detailed, mainly friendly feeling answers.

A clue to evaluating posts is to click on the avatar (the "internet name") of the poster to see what their experience is, relative to the questions you want answered.

One thing that helped me was to use the "Google Special Search" function which is under the "Search" button at the top of the pages.

Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, SE Qld, for a while
Ann T. Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 18:59   #3

Rob, Anne gives very good advice, but I would add to not go too small. I am introducing my new Love to sailing and we have done a few over night anchoring/camping trips. I bought a small sailboat (22 foot) to teach her to sail and while it sails great for a small boat, it is really rough to spend the weekend on. If you are anywhere near a traditional couple, you probably want standing headroom in the galley, an easily workable head and even better with a simple shower. I find that I dont need luxury, but basic comforts and convenience go a long way towards keeping the first mate happy. Make it fun. Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 19:56   #4

Thanks so much for the info Ann & Grant. The more I read the more interested I get. I didn't know colregs existed. I'll read up on that for sure. I have read about the importance of a good surveyor. Thanks again. Maybe one day I'll be on the water.
RobGD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: