Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2011, 08:45   #1

To Give Up or Not to Give Up?

I have been reading these forums for about a year now and have really enjoyed reading about the lifestyle that everyone is living on the water. I have also come across many threads where individuals and couples have began to downsize their current life styles by selling off automobiles and homes to move forward with their live aboard dreams.

Do you all rid yourselves of all of your land dwellings and possessions and make the live aboard lifestyle your final destination? The reason for this question is that I own everything (house, autos and the like) free and clear. Would it make sense for me to sell off everything and move forward with my dream of living aboard or simply keep things as they are and start from there. I know that the ultimate decision is my own, but I just wanted your thoughts about the matter. Thanks.
ready4theworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 09:01   #2

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: To give up or not to give up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready4theworld View Post
Would it make sense for me to sell off everything and move forward with my dream of living aboard or simply keep things as they are and start from there. I know that the ultimate decision is my own, but I just wanted your thoughts about the matter. Thanks.
IMO: Keep things as they are til you are CERTAIN that is for you. It really isn't for everyone. Check out Capt Force: 40 years aboard! But most aren't like that. Sounds like you have it made but take your time. Lots of broken dreams. And now it's so much harder to not lose money on a big boat. Charter, charter, charter til you know.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 09:11   #3

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Re: To give up or not to give up?

Kinda in the same quandary here. Have worked on the boat for a couple of years, sailing during the summer months. Would like to set sail for an extended time except for the land anchors like house, cars, taxes, insurance, mail, bills, etc, etc. ad infinitum. Renting house and storing stuff is a possibility but don't want the house destroyed, ruining its value. Cutting the strings is harder than it seems. Would like to hear from others who have successfully "...just drove (sailed) off and left it all behind."
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 09:18   #4

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I own an apt complex and don't intend on selling our "money cow" . When we get ready I'll have set up a care taker and a mgt company to pay the bills and oversee the maitnance . At this point we are crusing north for 3 to 4 months in the summer months and come back up river off the NW Pacific ocean to winter in the desert and catch up on maintance where we only get 8 inches of persipitation a year.
Old 26-03-2011, 09:19   #5

Thanks for the input, tgzzzz. I'm really sure that this is the direction in which I want to go. I'm a bit of a loner and single. I moved out of the city and to the country (i was actually raised in the country) about a year ago; just wanted to enjoy the peace and quiet. At my age of 41, I'm simply ready to truly enjoy what life has to offer. I have no doubt that the live aboard lifestyle would suite my needs.
ready4theworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 09:55   #6

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

A few years ago I retreated to 10 acres of hard wooded land with a spring fed creek and granite bluffs, part of my grandparents original farmland.

I built a modest off-grid dwelling and settled in to relax and ponder the future. My health and sanity returned after about 13 years in academia.

Now I type this from my Pearson and realize I was practicing for this type of living all along at the cabin. I don't have large expenses at the cabin, and it's a nice spot in the woods, so I did not sell. I'm still in the process of selling possessions (antiques and collectables) that I no longer feel fit my new life because I can't properly take care of them. They are providing a modest cash flow which is good. I'm broke.

I think if your land life doesn't cost a great amount, like my situation, I would hang on to it for the first two or three years of your water life.

For me I like having the hideout in the woods and my boat so I'll keep it that way I'm sure.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 10:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I lived aboard....while still working full time... for seven years. My boat got broken into and pretty much everything not screwed down was stolen. What wasn't stolen was vandalized. The boat was unlivable.

I own some rental apartments, and one was open, so I moved ashore; been there 5 years and can't wait to get back aboard. My GF is totally onboard (pun intended) with the whole thing, all I need now is a bigger boat. The CAL28 is a nice little sailer, but a live-aboard (with a dog, 2 cats, a Macaw... and egads... a woman!) she ain't!

Methinks I need a catamaran
Old 26-03-2011, 11:20   #8

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

We lived aboard for 5 years and always kept a paid for land base, it seemed to make more sense than the rent a shed. Unfortunately we then found a waterfront fixer where we could moor the boat so bought that too. No one wants the off grid cabin, so we rent it to a long term renter. The new house we have a list that keeps growing when we leave to rent it, so we will. This summer we're just getting a house sitter for the couple months we're gone. It'll add to the kitty, at least some. Unless you're really attached to the cars or are going to get a really big boat, sell them and get alternative transportation, unless it's a type 35 Bugatti, Lamborgini or other irreplaceable gem. If your land isn't fenced, fence and gate it before you leave, even if you rent it, it just makes sense,people seem to be getting bolder. Hopefully this will help you think about it.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 11:59   #9
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready4theworld View Post
Would it make sense for me to sell off everything and move forward with my dream of living aboard or simply keep things as they are and start from there.
We rent a house, and have no intention of taking any of our belongings with us when we cast off next year. But I do sometimes (often, actually) think I should put my money in property rather than the bank... With current inflation v. interest; my money will have halved in value within 7 years, so I'm told by my financial advisor....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 13:10   #10

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

That's the truth. Putting money in any cash/mm account now is laughable. We're in a high inflationary period for anything people actually buy like groceries and fuel and health insurance, in direct conflict with the low inflation fairy tale being told by the Obama-ites. Selling a house at the current deflated prices would be selling at or near the bottom. Seems there are few good choices. Thank you Wall St.
Sorry to hear of the theft of your stuff Geo. Seems like we live in a country with a growing and endless supply of thieves.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 13:21   #11

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Putting money in any cash/mm account now is laughable

That's why we bought our boat last year with cash when the bottom on boat prices hit about the bottom in CA . We saved about $50,000.00 and already this spring I see prices on boats like this one have gone up in value even buying with cash there are few great deals left.
Old 26-03-2011, 13:28   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

I would think about the only reason why anybody would sell anything off before going cruising is budget (constraints). Otherwise, there may be those who having sailed for a couple of years find the landside junk of little use and then they will just sell off what they no longer use nor need. But that's a different story altogether.

In any case, my standing recommendation for anybody thinking of selling off and .... IS - do not.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 14:27   #13

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Here's another way to look at it.
We're going cruising because this current game has been played out.
If we were happy here, we wouldn't cruise.
It's all going to go. This also eliminates the "I want to go home" syndrome.
If cruising doesn't work out, we'll rent a little cottage somewhere.
There's better ways to make money than holding real estate anymore.
Good Luck-
Kenny
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 14:42   #14

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
If we were happy here, we wouldn't cruise.
It's all going to go. If cruising doesn't work out, we'll rent a little cottage somewhere.
This parallels my thinking. I live in an apartment with modest furnishings. I'm selling it all to feed my sailing dream. If it doesn't work out, or if I don't like it, or if I get a 6-figure job offer, I can replicate this scene in a couple of months by buying things similar to what I'm selling. Family heirlooms will be stored, but I don't need to pay for storage on a blender, 4 chairs, a sofa, a bed, a desk, 5 lamps......

My problem is figuring out how to be fully self-sufficient on a 27 foot boat - what to leave in, what to leave out.

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 15:05   #15

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

I used to live on a 27 Newport, it's a great size for a single person! It has more than enough room for all you need...except water, but thats what they make cans for.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote