Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 21:38   #31

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: To Give Up or Not to Give Up?

I found this years before I went cruising. I kept it for all these years and would re-read it many times.

To be truly challenging, a voyage , like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen, who play with their boat at sea -- "cruising," it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

'I've always wanted to sail the South Seas, but I can't afford it.' What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine -- and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need -- really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in -- and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all -- in the material sense. And we know it. But we are all brainwahed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

-- Sterling Hayden, Wanderer
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 00:31   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I found this years before I went cruising. I kept it for all these years and would re-read it many times.

To be truly challenging, a voyage , like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen, who play with their boat at sea -- "cruising," it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

'I've always wanted to sail the South Seas, but I can't afford it.' What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine -- and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need -- really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in -- and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all -- in the material sense. And we know it. But we are all brainwahed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

-- Sterling Hayden, Wanderer
+1 ... as always been a favorite of mine as well.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:07   #33

All I can say about the above quote is WOW!!! Now that puts many things in perspective!
ready4theworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:09   #34

Hi guys,

I'm based out of France and have the same dream as you do of leaving on a boat for a while with my wife and kids.

I have planned this for a departure in 2015 or 16. I co founded a young start up and the plan is either to do it with comfort if the company takes of well or sell the house, cars and everything I own to go leave on a boat. For me it is no longer a project it actualy became and obscession :-).

I'm actualy looking for someone to buy a leopard 44 catamaran and have it chartered with moorings and sunsail for the next 5 years entiteling me and my co owner(s) for free hollidays on a catamaran of similar size in any of the 40 destinations moorings and sunsail have in the world.
I would garantee my co owner to buy his shares of the boat back at the end of the 5 years at the price it was originaly bought.
This means it would truly mean free vacations on a nice catamaran for the next five years for my co owner.

Any interested ? :-). If you are please send me an email urgently as there is only one leopard 44 left available for this years season.

Thanks for your quick replies.
Cheers
Antoine
janning2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:14   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by janning2 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm based out of France and have the same dream as you do of leaving on a boat for a while with my wife and kids.

I have planned this for a departure in 2015 or 16. I co founded a young start up and the plan is either to do it with comfort if the company takes of well or sell the house, cars and everything I own to go leave on a boat. For me it is no longer a project it actualy became and obscession :-).

I'm actualy looking for someone to buy a leopard 44 catamaran and have it chartered with moorings and sunsail for the next 5 years entiteling me and my co owner(s) for free hollidays on a catamaran of similar size in any of the 40 destinations moorings and sunsail have in the world.
I would garantee my co owner to buy his shares of the boat back at the end of the 5 years at the price it was originaly bought.
This means it would truly mean free vacations on a nice catamaran for the next five years for my co owner.

Any interested ? :-). If you are please send me an email urgently as there is only one leopard 44 left available for this years season.

Thanks for your quick replies.
Cheers
Antoine
Why go to all this trouble and expense? You'd be better off saving your money, chartering for a week or two as time allows, and then buying a nicely outfitted used cat when the time comes to take off. And why would you want to give a co-owner a free ride? This doesn't make sense to me if your plan is to go off full time cruising in 5 years. With a new chartered boat you are going to take a big hit on the initial depreciation and after five years of charter you are going to be looking at upgrades and refitting.

Bottom line, those will have been some very expensive charter vacations.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:14   #36

Boat: Gulfstar 50

The question that needs asked is do you have the money to buy the boat and fund your cruising while keeping the home place. For most people have to sale off to pay cash for the boat to go. If the answer is yes you need the money for the boat and the kitty than there is nothing left to talk about SALE!
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:42   #37

Boat: Boro
Re: To give up or not to give up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Sitting in the Scandlebar again today, shocker, one of the really experienced "retired" guys in town started opining on this very topic. A delivery captain, gourmet cook, orchestral musician, the guy has been around. He's 62 or 3 on SS. Apparently quite a low $# at that. Doesn't feel he can hold a job.

He moved ashore off an Albin Vega about 3 years ago into nice government housing. Gave the boat away for $1500 on payments. You know how that played out. So he has nothing to do, no money to do it with, but he's in good enough health that he won't be dying soon.

So long story short, give the above some thought.
A few years ago a came across an old guy aground on a sandbar near my mooring. I motored my dingy over to offer assistance.

He said, no, no need to worry, the tide would come in eventually and he needed a nap anyway.

He wasnt in great shape, and neither was his boat - but he seemed content enough to sit there, so I said goodbye and left.

A few days later a younger man came up and thanked me for stopping to help him the old guy who was his dad. He left me in know doubt that his dad had every intention of never leaving the boat, despite the families wishes and his clearly failing abilty to navigate.

Every so often I would see the same boat around, generally stuck on various sanbars. After a few years I stopped seeing it around - I assume the old guy got taken off it in a box.
billwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:06   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

You can buy a lot of things in life, but you can't buy back time. Do you choose to live with what if's, or just live?

Keep the house, and stuff if you don't need the money. If you need the money to sail away. Then that is another matter. BEST WISHES in making a choice you can live with, with no regrets, or what if's.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:09   #39

We got rid of all the big stuff before we moved onto the boat. We still have our land lives, but no property, down to one car, no storage beyond our little spot at the marina.

Physically just getting rid of all that junk felt great, and subsequently the feeling of not having all those tentacles into our lives is a good thing.

Being able to study for new careers and pursue opportunities wherever they arise is (to me) more valuable than any current fiscally rewarding option. In reality it's not that hard to make a living wage and live a comfortable life. It's very hard to live a rewarding life that you can be proud of.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 19:32   #40

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

We did the sell everything 10 years ago, I can say it did feel good. We sold the house, condo, cars, and built a little storage shed for keepsakes in the woods, and moved on our 34 foot boat, life was lovely for 6 years. Enter mental problems, cps... we now have 2 houses, 2 kids, and a bigger boat and new dreams. This time around we'll rent the houses and do it again. I just hate shopping. The point is stuff is a lot easier to acquire than get rid of. If you can keep the house and rent it, even for a minimum positive cash flow, and you like your land location, I would. If in the future your life moves past it, sell it. The other side is getting reestablished doesn't take long if you need the equity for your new adventure. Lifes short, make it happen. There'll be plenty of roadblocks to slow it down along the way.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 19:11   #41
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

My father dreamed of extensive cruising for decades, he even had a Freedom 33 with all the bells and whistles, but age and a bad heart caught up with him first. Even for local cruising he couldn't find anyone to go with him so sold his "unrequited love". Personally I suggest someone hold onto thier dream as long as is feasible, even if it means toning it down a bit. I live on a nice little 30 footer, rather than standing on the dock lusting after a 60' schooner.