Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 12:37   #1

Tinman

Hello All,
I joined today. I was looking online for a wood stove for my home when I was directed to your site because of a discussion on heating appliances for boaters.
Alas, my boating days are behind me. However, after more than 55 years in the heating trade, I was startled to read some comments by boaters regarding the installation of boat space heating appliances. To immediately be attacked for using upper case letters to emphasize my point seems rather petty. My only concern is for the safety of others.
Tinman
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 13:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WELCOME ABOARD !!!
I understand, share, and have written extensively on your concerns regarding cooking & heating appliance safety.
We (especially I, who could use your support on these IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUES) welcome your expert participation as a long-time heating tradesman..
Notwithstanding, the use of ALL capitals is generally considered to be “shouting”, and generally frowned upon as poor “netiquette”; which may account for Morgan Paul’s comment.
I don’t think his comments were meant to attack your person, nor your professional opinion.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:44   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Tinman,
Welcome aboard! I hope you continue to provide advice. I intend installing a Newport diesel heater in my boat and could use as much safety advice as possible.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 23:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
To immediately be attacked for using upper case letters to emphasize my point seems rather petty.
What can be said. Some people have no brains. Some people have no courage and yes, some people have no heart...

You just point out who pi$$ed you off and I'll get them my pretty and their little dogs too...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:04   #5

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Flamin' Drongos.

Hi Tinman,
"Flamin drongos"
Theres a bit of the old Aussie slang you can throw back at them when they get up your rubber hose ( nose ). Tell em to hit the frog and toad (road ) or you'll hit them in the Wallaby Ted ( head ).
Maybe we should all have a butchers hook ( look ) at our own communication methods sometimes.

I'm with GordMay.Can't see that it was a slight on you personally.However he has just now given me a heads up on expectations on the forum.I have sometimes used capitals here too but more as a happy "exclamation" than forceful type communication.
He is absolutely right in regard to the etiquette rules though.

I am also an old tradesman ( Plumber,Drainer,Gasfitter and Roofer ) around 35 years in the trade and I also used to install various gas and wood fired heaters, Hot water heaters a/c's, Flue pipe systems etc My interest in yacht cabin heaters ( and cooking appliances ) is fairly strong too.I hold an advanced LPG fitters licence so I whilst I am only starting out on my little rebuild project I am already looking at how I can heat my boat and what is the best method.
Many years ago I lost a close friend of mine in an LPG explosion caused by a faulty valve.He got into his worktruck,lit a cigarette and blew his vehicle to pieces.Another was lucky to live through a similar explosion.Many people are also overcome via by product gases due to poor installations or insufficient ventilation too.
From this aspect I manage safety and it is one of my top accountabilities for a large government organisation in my "new" profession which is heavy rail construction.Our motto is "Safety is our Number One Priority" and "Safety before Production." Some see them as a boring mantra but try telling that to the Coroner when you are up in front of him being asked" Why didn't you manage your staff's safety properly" or looking into the eyes of his widow or children when they know their dad or husband is not coming home anymore

Not a very good experience.

On a more positive note.

You quote "My only concern is for the safety of others."

Having seen first hand what a poorly installed gas heater or room appliance can do I applaud you for taking the plunge and trying to make people aware of the inherent dangers if this is what you were attempting to convey.
Well, good on you for that.!!
If only One life is saved it will have been worth your effort.
I look forward to reading more about your experience please.

Regards
John.
john connell is offline   Reply With Quote