Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2008, 08:36   #1

Time to say hello

So Hello Everyone, I first have to say thank you so very much for taking the time to be so informative and helpful on this forum. It's not often that you can find this much useful information in one place. I've learned more from reading this forum for a few days than I could learn in a year from books. With that said:

I'm very new to this and am planning on being a liveaboard. Obviously I'll need to go on a few trips to cement the idea, but I doubt that my opinion will change. My wonderful wife and 2 children will be accompanying me. At 8 and 9 they'll be old enough to understand what needs to be taken seriously to make this possible.

We'll be traveling as much as possible, without an itinerary(for the most part) as there are to many places to go and so much beauty to behold. I'm still working, but will try to arrange things around this. Financial concerns are the only real stumbling block. but I'm sure I can prevail.

For a bit of background, we we've involved in a flood almost exactly a year ago and lost everything. Insurance found a loophole, and we had to start over. Luckily I still had my job, so normal income wasn't interrupted, we moved into an apartment and dealt with the local slum lord. As we had no other option at the time. After a few months my son began to develop breathing problems, wound up in the hospital, and we were out another 20K. There was a mold issue we'd been fighting in the a/c system. I knew that this was going to be the norm if we went this route.

So, I made a decision, spent about 35-40 days researching and bought an RV. After the normal fix up from a new purchase, we moved in and have been living full time here for over 6 months now. My wife finally realizes the futility of keeping what we have in storage, and we're about to start the sorting process to the things we really need, and what it will be cheaper to buy again later instead of paying for years on something we already own. And yes, the research necessary for the move to an rv was minimal compared to the switch to a boat, but we've got the time this go-round to make a really well informed decision.

We home school (and have been since after the first 6 weeks of public school this season, the public system is unfortunately broken) An d know well the benefits of this type of education. we have absolutely no regrets about that decision, other than that we did not do it sooner.

We have the same regret about not getting an RV sooner. Wanted a diesel but didn't find one worth the price during the small window we had (did I mention that we were informed that our lease would not be re-newed since we had reported to apartments to the city authorities after they did not take care of the health issue.) I hate having to take anything to a regulating body to get something accomplished, I'd much prefer talking man to man and getting things resolved, unfortunately that is not always possible.
I'll normally even do the work myself for free if parts are provided as I enjoy working on things constantly. From what I've read, this makes a really good fit for a boat owner . I'm decided on a sailboat, with a diesel engine, have no idea as to the size we'll need nor sail configuration. I've still entirely too much to learn to even begin narrowing it down from there.

In the interim I can travel on weekends and do so as often as the mood strikes. I've still a thing or two to fix up to make it just right, but nothing that stops us from traveling or enjoying the time we already spend here.
So that's enough rambling.

Again I want to thank you for such a wonderful place to glean the real information that's needed to make the decisions I'll need to make in the coming future. I'll be picking your brains and grabbing a few books to lock down the elementary principle's, but i'll do my best to make the questions something that you haven't already been answering for the past 70,000 visitors.
CanQua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 08:57   #2

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Welcome, To me moving aboard was a dream for a number of years and this was the year to make that dream come true, so happy i did so. Like you i am new to this but i do not have the family with me. I have been sailing so little that i tell people i know nothing when ask.

Charter before you buy, it is the best way to get the feel and really know if it is the life for you and your family, Remember living space on a boat is alot less. Alsp crew on boats, very easy to find people that need a hand ( be Honest about experience)
Now is a great time to buy a boat, Just a month ago i found Dutch Treat and got the boat below half the asking price.

Well i wish you the best.

John
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 11:35   #3

Glad to hear you made the leap this year. Hopefully it's everything you've expected. I know less than nothing, so it should indeed be an interesting journey. As fay as space, we're already down to under 300square feet, and definitely have learned the limitations. I'd highly recommend the mid step of trying out an rv before getting into the boat life, as they have many similarities.
I'll definitely take the opportunity to crew as soon as I've learned enough not to be a danger to myself or others, and will of course at all times, be honest about my experience. Thank you for the welcome.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:22   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha CanQua,
Welcome aboard! I've met lots of families that have homeschooled their kids aboard boats and all seem to do just great. Although RVs have many similarities in systems, they are not the same in function or handling or build quality or maintenance.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:35   #5

Thanks for the welcome SkiprJohn.
I'm slowly learning about the systems and will be trying to make everything have the lowest upkeep. I've already decided that keel cooling is the way to go. There's a silicone based coating for the props that I already have several gallons of. A diesel engine since they will run for 10,000 hours before a rebuild is necessary(always preferred diesel's anyway). Galvanized rigging. Little stuff like that.
Handling is only able to be gained with experience and I'll only try that once comfortable with the systems. Granted, I'll buy the usual books, and I'm a quick study, but nothing is going to teach me more than being on the boat and learning bad habits from a good captain
Build quality: I'll be looking for a 70's model for my first boat and hope to find the same quality I've found from my 70's RV. They really built it to last and used great materials. From what I've been reading about here I'm likely to be able to find the overbuilt construction from the same timeframe in boats.
Obviously this means I need to have a massive amount on knowledge about marine systems to undertake the repairs needed(I've never paid anyone to fix anything in my life) as I don't really care for the quality of the job when someone else performs the work. I believe things like rope making and how to sew a sail from scratch, will be a necessity. As I said, It should be an interesting ride, and I'm in no rush. I go into everything eyes wide open so normally find few surprises.
My current job is quality engineering for an aerospace composites company, so I've a fairly good knowledge of composites and in fact, since we make canopies for aircraft, I am planning on putting in a few ports below the waterline if possible. Nothing crazy like a glass bottom boat, as blue water cruising is a point I don't want to compromise. Just a few small ones so I can keep an eye on my wife when she's diving.
I'd appreciate any advice you are willing to give

Mahalo,
James