Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 13:35   #1

Three Canadian Boys, one Cat...

Well, that's what it's going to be in a couple years anyway. Names Clarke, and I'm studying in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada at the moment. Planning a major two year circumnavigation with my two buddies, and this forum seems like a terrific resource!

Never sailed anything 40' ish size, but I have sailed the tiny little lasers and such, and as well, I sailed as crew aboard the (recently sunk) S/V Concordia for 5 months last year, so I have a healthy and growing love for the ocean and everything it has to offer.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 13:58   #2

Welcome Toro,

Sounds like a great adventure and you should find plenty of help in this forum. What kind of cat are you planning for this round the world venture?
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 14:07   #3

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Hey Clarke,
Glad to have you around. Keep us posted as your plans come together.
Spencer
Old 02-03-2010, 14:16   #4

I'm not sure what you mean by 'kind' of cat. Our budget is pretty limited, coming in at $90k, which leaves about $65k tops by my estimation for the cat itself. Something from 36-42' I'm thinking. I love the privilege's, but they are way more expensive than I can look at .
Old 02-03-2010, 15:24   #5

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Welcome to Cruisers Forum.

Do you get out sailing around Halifax much?

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 15:27   #6

Not at all, actually, although I know people that do, and there are regular races around here.
Old 02-03-2010, 15:40   #7

I think, actually, it would be prudent for me to elaborate on my situation, so that others understand me better and where I'm coming from.

My first sailing experience was sailing little 420's on the Glenmore Reservoir in Calgary. Good experience in the fundamentals of sailing, but obviously nothing of the calibre of a circumnavigation's challenges.

For the first semester of Grade 12 I sailed aboard the tall ship S/V Concordia. We left from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, and went to Dublin, Ireland --> La Coruna, Spain --> Lisbon, Portugal --> Ajaccio, Corsica --> Agadir, Morocco --> Las Palmas, Canary Islands --> Dakar, Senegal --> Cape Verde --> Fernando de Noronha --> Recife, Brazil.

I learned a lot about sailing on that trip, but, as I realize now, not nearly as much about what I needed to know. I didn't bother the captain or mates about the ins and outs of chart plotting and weather and depth meters and port docking procedures and all that jazz. I truly wish I had now.

What I did learn was what life at sea is really about. And that's what has fueled my dream for this circumnavigation. I love sailing, I love traveling, I love the people you meet.

I may be sailing on another tall ship through the south pacific next year (the Prince William), and if I do I will definitely make a much more concerted effort to learn what I need to. For now, however, I am confined to forums and books.

The two people I am planning the circumnavigation with have no sail experience. This is fine, as I am fully comfortable teaching them everything they need to know, once I have the knowledge myself. I figure part of it will be a learn as you go experience. Both of them are alright DIY'ers and we are planning on grouping DIY categories (carpentry, electrical, etc.) so that we can split the learning and combine like the power rangers into a super force of sailing.

What I do know is that they both have the passion, and wanderlust, that I do, and so would love every minute of it. The challenge is getting there.

We have roughly 3 1/2 years to save for our trip. $90k is on the edge of feasibility for us, for now. I am pretty sure this is an acceptable budget for something in the ~38' range, used obviously. Depends on what the market does over the next couple years, as well.

Anyway... that's my story!
Old 02-03-2010, 17:57   #8
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44
I commend this and surprised others have not called you foolish. I completed a circumnavigation 3 years ago with a few guys. Was not terrible hit quite a few rough spots but gauged our windows well. Survived, had a great time, started literally with less than 3k with my 32 islander (worth less than 20k) food (MRE's) and our humor.

I would recommend taking someone who knows what they are doing at least. (Fully) a lot of tough areas out there. Don't kid yourself in thinking it can't get that bad. What you think is the worst you have seen can get a lot worse, and I mean a lot. So be careful...
satdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 18:40   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Welcome, Toro, and congratulations on your plans. There is a lot to learn, but hey, what's life for? My dad used to tell me, "if you're not either learning or having fun, and preferably both, then you need to seriously consider making a change."

With your budget, I'd suggest not locking yourself too much into a specific type of boat, yet. Unfortunately, cats are considerably more expensive than monos. While they have a number of fine features (and I'm personally biased toward them, for cruising), affordability usually isn't one of them. There are many more fine monos that will do the job just fine, for significantly less money. On the other hand, every now and then a really good older cat comes on the market that might be just the thing you're looking for.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 19:09   #10

I did take a good look at mono's, but I decided that the Cat just has more appeal, and it is workable with our budget. I like the stability/slower cruising aspect, as well as the beachability for scrubbing the hull.

As well, one of the guys is 6'5 ish, so a little headroom goes a long way.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:00   #11
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Toro, welcome to the forum! While I can understand your preference for a 40 foot cat, I would think that with your budget (especially if it includes expenses), you will be far better off with a monohull. Simply put, virtually every used boat in your price range will require a refit before it is ready to go offshore and, even for the DIY crowd, the expense of materials, hardware, line, sails, electronics etc. make that process very expensive.

I also second the recommendation that you take along one experienced sailor, at least for the first offshore passage. Having said all of that, your dream is definitely one that can be realized, even on a limited budget.

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 23:30   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I wish you well in the pursuit of your dreams.
kind regards,
Old 09-04-2010, 06:54   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I can admire your enthusiasum, but there is a better way to get to your goal. You all need to learn to sail. Take some money now, and buy a small sailboat that you can all sleep in. Even if it means sleeping on the cabin sole. Take lessons, and use this boat for experience. It will cost well under $5k, and possibly under $3k.

You can start by sailing locally, and then eventually sailing away for weekends. It all sounds grand now, but you will get a reality check with your plan. What if someone is prone to seas sickness, and wants to bail out immediatley, and his share of money for the boat? Do you want to put your life in the hands of someone who knows nothing? You will have to sleep, and this means leaving some one else in charge.

Once you have honed some sailing skills, some navigation skills, and taken the weeds out of the garden by using this small inexpensive boat for several years. You can most likely sell her for what you paid, and go into your goal with eyes wide open, and knowledge amongst the three of you. You can depend on eachother, and that makes a much safer boat.

You're young, and plans change quickly for young people. Girlfriends come along, and break up buddy plans, and especially if they become wives. It happens often enough. What seems like a great plan today has many obstacles to overcome. It is not hard to overcome, but I see many oppurtunities for failure with what you have typed. Being a deckhand on a tall ship will not get you through storms, calms, navigation, etc.etc.

It's going to be difficult to harness that energy for 3 years waiting to jump on your boat. Keep it alive by going small now, and honing your skills. So when it's time to get on a bigger boat. You will all have the skills to make a really great dream a reality.......BEST WISHES ......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote