Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 13:13   #1

Boat: Bristol 35 - Bellesa
Smile Thought I would stop lurking and say hello

Hello! I’ve been registered on the board for a while and finally posted on an old thread. Thank you to all who received my first post and encouraged me to post more! I’ve been sailing for a few years and, when sailing, enjoy being more crew than captain. (This works as my sweetie Frank enjoys his captain status.) Although I have much respect for those who race, live-aboard, and enjoy on-the-edge boating opportunities, I would describe myself as a creature of comfort and enjoy short-trip cruising. On occasion, I will fantasize about the live-aboard, global-travel lifestyle – usually while soaking in a bubble bath and drinking something made with shaved ice.

Other than a creature of comfort, I am fairly girly whether on water or land. I like to cook, and I enjoy the challenge of cooking without unlimited refrigeration, freezer space, or some kitchen conveniences. (Yes, I know they make boats with those things, but I just got the captain to get a bigger boat with a shower and such, so I’m not willing to push my luck just yet and, besides, I really do like the challenge!) That being said, I’m not of a camper mindset, and what I make on-board has to be quality that I could serve without apology to anyone. (I guess that is my quirk even though I would serve beans and weenies without apology because they are just as yummy as they were when I was a child.)

Frank sometimes says that our personalities can be summed up by what we bought with the first boat. Frank bought flares, floatation devices, a first-aid kit, proper ropes, a bigger anchor, maintenance items, and downloaded like a gazillion point checklist which he meticulously checked. I bought party lights, a hand-crank blender, really adorable boating dishes, a grill, a portable spa kit, and downloaded some recipes that one did not need to have refrigeration to make. Frank then completely rewired our electrical system to upgrade it. He included a special plug for the amazingly-awesome party lights and added more battery ability so that I could burn them for a weekend without causing him worry.

In addition to sailing/cruising, I like to write, cook and travel. I look forward to posting and interacting on the board!

~Kathleen
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:24   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Welcome Kathleen.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:25   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
On occasion, I will fantasize about the live-aboard, global-travel lifestyle – usually while soaking in a bubble bath and drinking something made with shaved ice.
Frank sometimes says that our personalities can be summed up by what we bought with the first boat. Frank bought flares, .... I bought party lights, a hand-crank blender, really adorable boating dishes, a grill, a portable spa kit, and downloaded some recipes that one did not need to have refrigeration to make. Frank then completely rewired our electrical system to upgrade it. He included a special plug for the amazingly-awesome party lights and added more battery ability so that I could burn them for a weekend without causing him worry.
That's funny! There is room for all sorts of cruising and sailing; you'll fit right in somewhere.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:31   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
First off welcome. we really don;t pay people to encourage you to post.

Quote:
I am fairly girly whether on water or land.
One thing is important. Being on the water does not make you different than who you are. It's just a different place. if you like to cook then you clearly will be at home because people on the water also LOVE to eat. If you can cook ethnic foods tyou can cook on a boat. It's just ethnic. Make sure you get a good stove and grill. Making friends is fun too. You could make friends boating and cooking!

Boating can be defined in many ways. People do things different and think different. On the water guess what? It's the same! Lots of advanages to being on a boat like a nice sunset in someone elses back yard. We like to go up one of the many rivers here and anchor out at one to the multi million dollar estates. We have a better view than they do. We make a nice meal and enjoy it all. We just happen to have great sails getting there too.

We can all seem to think we require only certain things to be happy. It's possible to enjoy more than you already do without giving up anything. If you find a way to cruise on a boat and think it's fun - it might be true! There clearly are more than one way.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:43   #5

Welcome,

Quote:
I would describe myself as a creature of comfort and enjoy short-trip cruising.
Me too. But be careful, a series of short trips can take you all the way from Chesapeake to South America.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:53   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
... One thing is important. Being on the water does not make you different than who you are...
Not true, for me.
On the water, I'm very nearly a nice guy; and I believe being on the water (or a mountaintop, etc) improves every one of us.
Unfortunately, I'm still "me".

Welcome aboard Kathleen.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:58   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You're doing so far. You knowm your limits, and are willing to explore a wee bit, and with 3 1/2 paragrahs you write well too! WELCOME, say hi to Frank for us.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:59   #8

I think it rather lets you discover who you are.
Old 06-08-2009, 15:23   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
. . . I bought party lights, a hand-crank blender, really adorable boating dishes, a grill, a portable spa kit, and downloaded some recipes that one did not need to have refrigeration to make. . .

~Kathleen
You bought a GRILL? And worked out how to cook without refrigeration? I dunno, are you fishing for compliments here, or what exactly? Most of the guys around here would kill to have wives/girlfriends with that kind of attitude.

I am so grateful for my wife to even BE on board, that I don't even LET her cook, much less buy a grill.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 15:24   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm still "me".
We always liked you that way. We all can be better than we are - just not today.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 16:55   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum!
I really liked your intro, frank and honest (no pun intended ). I too love to be girly and am learning how to cook and grill (though I don't have a Frank to pamper yet ). The love of the sea calls so many different people, it is really cool how we adapt in our own unique ways. That is yet another neat thing about this forum - learning how others adapt to the boating life and to its adventures.
Cheers and I look forward to your posts and insights,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You bought a GRILL? And worked out how to cook without refrigeration? I dunno, are you fishing for compliments here, or what exactly? Most of the guys around here would kill to have wives/girlfriends with that kind of attitude.

I am so grateful for my wife to even BE on board, that I don't even LET her cook, much less buy a grill.
I wouldn't kill to get that special lady. I did divorce one, and leave a couple in my search.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:46   #13

Boat: Hans Christian 33T Hull #80
Welcome aboard, I still consider myself a girl, I have been cutting my own hair for 3 years now (ponytail works), nails are short, no polish, I own three pair of shoes, nice deck one for going out, sneakers for the beach and sneakers to do work in. three pair of shorts and one work short when they die I lose a pair when down to one I go buy new .... and two sundresses...hmmm...yeah I still consider myself a girl, just one with few shoes and clothes
gigglingdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 15:17   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Kathleen and Frank,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you posting here. I appreciate having a first mate who enjoys cooking. Needless to say I've been spoiled my whole life. I just learned to cook my own oatmeal (cause I wanted to) the other day and I'm in my mid 60s. It wasn't even the instant kind and I didn't use the microwave. So now my cooking skills include pancakes, eggs, oatmeal and fish fried in onions and sliced potatos. Potatoes for folks of a certain political party. Sashimi is not cooking.
Usually while sailing the cook enjoys less watches topside. So keep up those at sea cooking skills.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 16:09   #15

Boat: Bristol 35 - Bellesa
Talking Thanks bunches, y'all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I wouldn't kill to get that special lady. I did divorce one, and leave a couple in my search.........i2f

*looks carefully at this profile to see if he is her ex* Nope, I don't think so. Whew. This would have been one short visit, i2f!

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

slomotion, a series of short trips landing me in S. America. Oddly, I could see that happen! I'll keep that one in mind. *nods*

GordMay, I think water gives me strength. Mountain tops, on the other hand....I'd be a weeping mess. With the exception of water (bays, oceans, seas), the great outdoors is what I go through to get to the car.

Dockhead, I don't know why, but I lost ownership of the grill. For some reason, I inch toward the grill and Frank takes over. I think grills flip the "I make fire for you" switch in some guys. But I did not know that when I bought it. Is it the propane, perhaps?

Gigglingdolphines, girly girls are a matter of attitude. Trust me, I can be girly in a pair of wolverine work boots and undies....I know this because I had to bail water once in such an outfit. Fortunately not on a boat.

SkiprJohn, those are great things to cook. If you are only going to cook a few things, those all bring comfort. Sashimi is so good when I've had it. I've never attempted it though.

Ocean girl, it sounds like we share interests. I look forward to your posts!

Starbuck, I agree. I find the quiet on the water really energizing too.

Pblais, they don't pay me to post? *mutters* Oh well.

Maren and Paul Morgan, thanks for the welcome and for the post.

~Kathleen

Tags
introduction, France