Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 08:10   #1

This viking longs to cruise.

Hi everybody, my name is Ulfur, I'm in my mid-thirties and I'm from Iceland.

My life so far I could only describe as having been an adventure and I've been fortunate enough to get to travel and live all over the world. I find my meaning in life through experiencing it and living. It's sometimes overwhelming how big the world is, how much there is to see and how much there is to experience. But it is my mission to use the precious time I've been allotted on this earth to see as much of it as I can.

About 10 years ago I came to realise that the one thing I desired most out of life was freedom. And as much as the western world is a free society, I wanted actual freedom. Freedom to live my own life on my own terms, where I wanted, when I wanted.

For these 10 years I've been working out ways to achieve this dream and I'm getting very close. I now have a job that not only pays very well but also allows me complete "locational-freedom" and I can work according to my own schedule. I used this opportunity to move to Barcelona and now live, for reason that will become clear later, in an apartment with views directly overlooking Port Vell.

I am also, alongside my regular work, working on establishing my own business which will, if all goes well, eventually allow me the complete freedom and independence that I so desire and, therefore, have started seriously considering the next step of my dream for once I achieve my goal.

A few years back, around the time of its release, I watched a documentary entitled "Home". I highly recommend it, it's freely available here:

Two things dawned on me when I watched it, as I suspect was the intention of the filmmakers: How stunningly beautiful the world is and how we must take care in order to preserve and enjoy it. This, in turn, inspired two ambitions: To see as much of it as I could yet in doing so leave as small a footprint as I could. And how to achieve these conflicting goals I wondered. Sailboats! came the answer.

So, I have my answer and I have my dream but I have no practical sailing experience. Iceland is built around fishing and I have been around the sea for most of my life. As I child I sailed in dinghies and as teenager I spent two weeks on a tall-ship climbing masts and learning the ropes (literally). I love the water and have always claimed that anything that can be done either on or in water I enjoy. But as far as cruising sailboats or sailing as a lifestyle go I have never had any form of contact.

And this is what brought me here, to this forum. I want to learn but I don't know where to begin. I am now living in a mediterranean city with a lively boating scene, just a few steps away from the docks and I guess if I had a single question for you, experienced sailors and cruisers, it would be:

What is my logical next step? Where do I go from here and how can I get involved? How can I move from looking at the boats and dreaming to learning about them, about the lifestyle and about what it takes to become a member of your community?

If you've given me your time and read this far you already have my thanks but any words of wisdom, advice, assistance or even a friendly hello are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Ulfur
ulfurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:14   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: This viking longs to cruise.

Aloha and welcome aboard!
It's good to have you here on the forum.
The only advice I can give is that if you are in a community that has sailing vessels then start making friends with those sailors and you'll soon have invitations to sail. If there is an inexpensive sailing or yacht club then that's a way to meet likeminded people.
Good luck to you.
kind regards,
Old 08-01-2014, 11:24   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Re: This viking longs to cruise.

That was one of the the most eloquent first posts ever on this forum. Based on your clear vision and obvious motivation, I believe you will have no problem achieving your goals. Walk the docks at the local marina and meet those like minded people that are out there doing it. Find out where the local sailors like to enjoy their afternoon/evening cocktails, its amazing how quickly you make friends over a a couple of beers when you have common interests. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise