Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2009, 06:23   #1

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
This Might Be Fun!

Greetings all! The Carbon Wife Unit and I took the plunge 10 weeks ago and closed on our first boat - a 1986 Senator 35' trawler. After my mother's diagnosis with Alzheimer's earlier this year, we decided it was high-time to get started living because it now puts that disease on BOTH sides of my family. So I figure I have about 20 years before I think my wife is a table lamp.

Anyway, we are moored at Northwest Creek Marina in New Bern, NC and are having a blast learning what it takes to be skippers. We have a 6-year plan to move aboard and put the world ahead of us (well, and behind us). Although, we might need a bigger boat by then... or not. But the way I see it, it'll take us that long to learn what it takes to not die in the effort.

I hope you guys can help us through the preparations and the transitions it takes for this big step. I've lived my life in a relatively "safe" place and change does not come easy for me. But I now can't see any other way to go.

I hope it goes as planned. I'll keep in touch.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 06:45   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
So I figure I have about 20 years before I think my wife is a table lamp.

We have a 6-year plan to move aboard and put the world ahead of us
Hey Gonzo thats great to have a plan... but it is 6 years out of 20 years.
Now I am no mathmatician (I have school teachers who are still rolling on the floor ) but each year you can clip off that 6 years will be a hefty percentage of the 20 years.

When we set the goal to go cruising we didn't set a time to achieve the goal. Just said it had to happen as soon as we could with all encompassing attention on the goal. What I originally thought would take years only took 12 months.

If you can clip that 6 years down to 5, then to 4 etc or even much shorter you will appreciate it once you get underway.

We have only been doing it for 18 months... but boy oh boy what a year and a half it has been! Even looking back on just this year, New Years eve feels like it was years ago. We have been packing it in, and so will you.

Finally, it may be a great thing to have the thought of later Alzheimer's because its making you both know how important it is to live life

Congratulations on your new boat Its the best fun in the world!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 07:39   #3

I would agree with you. I'd love to shorten that schedule and we'll do what we can to do just that. As a friend of mine has told me - the best way to get ready to move onto a boat is to sell your boat. I agree in part, but like I said, we have a lot to learn that we can't learn without a vessel under our feet. And while we're on the subject, there is some money headed our way upon my parents demise. (Yea... I said it) Quite a bit perhaps. So we kinda have to wait out that little wrinkle as well. *sigh* Hindsight is 20/20. Should have been saving for this my whole life.
Old 25-09-2009, 08:02   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - I think what is important is to start going places in the boat. Of course you need to update and make sure the basic boat systems are operating. Then head out into the river and work your way up the ICW to Norfolk or down to Myrtle Beach and back. This will "test" out systems that seem fine now but might not function properly underway - and - you are remaining "in range" of good parts and repair facilities.
- - Don't move the boat anywhere until you have "unlimited" TowBoatUS or SeaTow coverage. You can run aground in that narrow channel out of New Bern and end up with a $6K +/- towing bill while still in eye-sight of home.
- - Next season head up onto the Chesapeake - which also has great support facilities for the boat and great places to hide in should you get bad weather. I went up and down the US east coast 5 times before heading offshore. You are visiting and exploring some fabulous places at the same time as working out "bugs" and getting experience to boot. You inspiration level will skyrocket, it is just necessary to get your experience level up there also.
- - Then you are ready for the big southbound to Florida run. I have done that 4.5 times, twice going "outside" (off shore or better said, close to shore) for speed/scheduling reasons. And twice I did the whole ICW just to "see" everything along the way. The first time was so good, not the waterway but the towns and villages, swamps and wildlife, - that I did it again another year stopping in places I missed the first time plus some favorites from the previous trip. MarkJ's comments - "boy oh boy" are dead on accurate. The hardest part of the trip is trying to stay in the channel as you are hanging out the windows and doors "eye-balling" all the wonders around you.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 08:32   #5

We're doing exactly that so far. And we are already in with unlimited TowBoatUS. We are taking baby-steps. It took us a few weeks to even get the guts to leave the slip. We had a local captain come give us lessons. Then we would just go out, tool around for a while, then come home. We scoped out New Bern next without docking anywhere. Then went up and docked for the day. This past weekend we got as far as Morehead City/Beaufort and spent our first nights away from our home marina. Even ran our first inlet to Lookout Bight.

So we are on course as planned. The Admiral is looking for a temporary marina for next summer (just for a month) that we can use to jump off to even further ports-of-call. We hope to do a week-long run early next year, but we don't know if it will be north or south. Or maybe we'll just sell the house and goto the Bahamas.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 25-09-2009, 10:19   #6

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Welcome! This is a great site, I think you'll find that the 6 years or so will be a lot of fun too. Learning the boat and about cruising, modifying the boat to suit your wants and adding a lot of details you will see and read about on other boats will make the time pass by quickly not to mention short cruises in the meantime.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 14:59   #7

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Yo Gonzo
Don't worry to much about Big Al, if you think your wife is a table lamp you'll fit right in with this crowd. Just fill your diesel tanks once a year whether you need to or not and head south and east, like Far East.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 13:51   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Great plan and it looks like you've got a good start on it.
There were a few others here on the forum who were based out of New Bern. Great town!
Regards
Old 05-10-2009, 06:06   #9

Thanks. Looking forward to exploring the NC coast over the next few years until we grow the balls (and the savings account) to explore further out.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:33   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welome to the next 20 years......"Hey Rose what what the name of"
James S is offline   Reply With Quote