Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2015, 02:35   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada
Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Posts: 460
The launching of "MACUSHLA"

I'm basically a nooby to CF although I've been a long time reader of many threads and a recent publisher of about 5 posts. I put up a link under the above title to show off my pride & joy. She is a Passage 24. A cute little boat that I fell in love with long ago and eventually built up from a bare GRP hull & deck assembly over a great many years.
Her keel first touched water about three weeks ago & we have only raised sail 3 times, one of those times was pre launch, on "the hard".
Being located in the PNW we get very little wind in many coastal areas, & such is the case where I am at Pt. Roberts, WA ... however, we took her out for an hour this evening on a bit of a shake-down just to see how "ready" we are to sail.
A major problem came to light with the mainsail. The nylon slugs are extremely difficult to start up the mast. The problem lies in the area of the sail entry device. It takes extreme effort on the part of my 50 y.o. son to cause the slugs to enter the integral mast track of the 4 x 6 oval spar.
I should point out that I am using a fully reconditioned and powder coated Selden Spar from an older Vega 27 ... the only "used" item on the boat. I have inspected the sail entry device and the track slot & see nothing that should prevent the slugs from sliding up the mast ... but they don't.
The sails & slugs are all new, as is everything else on the boat. Even the spars (mast & boom) look new to the casual onlooker.
So I'm wondering if anyone else has run into a similar problem & if so, what did they do to overcome it? I have considered applying a touch of silicone but in what form? Spray - liquid - gel-cream - or other???
I intend to contact my sail-maker on the morrow to get his response on the matter. Meanwhile, I thought no harm posing the problem to the vast number of experts on CF, just in case my sail-maker has no answer to my problem ... besides which, I intend to go sailing this coming weekend & would like make things a little easier for my crew.
__________________

__________________
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 04:27   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
FSMike's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bahamas/Florida
Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Posts: 2,654
Images: 5
Re: The launching of "MACUSHLA"

There are a couple of appropriate products out there. McLube and SailKote come to mind (I don't guarantee the spelling).
Old school use some candle wax or even Joy detergent.
You might consider sanding/ filing the corners where the sail enters the track.
A little usage will probably make things easier.
And, of course, are the slugs the proper size?
Enjoy your boat.
__________________

__________________
Sail Fast Live Slow
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 04:39   #3
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Re: The launching of "MACUSHLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
There are a couple of appropriate products out there. McLube and SailKote come to mind (I don't guarantee the spelling).
........................
These products that are dedicated to the task suggested by FSMike might do best, but I'll mention the "Black Magic" automotive tire silicone spray that is sold at auto parts stores. This works well for me.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 07:25   #4
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 4,019
Re: The launching of "MACUSHLA"

Also, google Tides Marine as an alternative to ancient mast track. Slugs are a pain and always require some snot to make them slide. But they are a real problem when they won't let the sail come down in a hurry. Using the Tides Marine slick track will make you wonder why anyone uses something else.

If you are going to stay with slugs in the mast track look at how they are sewn to the sail. The attachment has to keep the slug vertical at all times. What causes the slug to bind is when it rotates away from vertical and then gets stuck. This can happen more often if the attachment to the bolt rope is a little lackadaisical. Also, make sure the slugs are exactly the right size for your track. Using the wrong slug is a source of much grief.
__________________
transmitterdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 08:37   #5
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 4,851
Re: The launching of "MACUSHLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Also, google Tides Marine as an alternative to ancient mast track. Slugs are a pain and always require some snot to make them slide. But they are a real problem when they won't let the sail come down in a hurry. Using the Tides Marine slick track will make you wonder why anyone uses something else.

If you are going to stay with slugs in the mast track look at how they are sewn to the sail. The attachment has to keep the slug vertical at all times. What causes the slug to bind is when it rotates away from vertical and then gets stuck. This can happen more often if the attachment to the bolt rope is a little lackadaisical. Also, make sure the slugs are exactly the right size for your track. Using the wrong slug is a source of much grief.
__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 17:34   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada
Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Posts: 460
The launching of "MACUSHLA"

Thanks everyone for your comments & advice ... I think Steadyhand may have hit on the source of the problem with his comment about slug size.
I did have a long chat with my sail-maker a short while ago & he came to a similar conclusion. He told me there is a smaller slug available for that particular spar & he will bring some in next week so that I can change them out myself.
Apparently the slugs are not sewn on but attached mechanically. I shall take a close look at them when I visit the boat on the morrow, forming my own conclusion as to whether or not I want to install them or have the sail-maker replace them. Personally, I think i will have him do the work as these are new sails & I don't want to provide any reason for him to not honour any warranty claim.
Thanks again folk.
__________________
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 17:56   #7
Registered User
 
Steady Hand's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Crewing All of 2017 Available Globally
Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Posts: 4,851
Re: The launching of "MACUSHLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments & advice ... I think Steadyhand may have hit on the source of the problem with his comment about slug size.
I did have a long chat with my sail-maker a short while ago & he came to a similar conclusion. He told me there is a smaller slug available for that particular spar & he will bring some in next week so that I can change them out myself.
Apparently the slugs are not sewn on but attached mechanically. I shall take a close look at them when I visit the boat on the morrow, forming my own conclusion as to whether or not I want to install them or have the sail-maker replace them. Personally, I think i will have him do the work as these are new sails & I don't want to provide any reason for him to not honour any warranty claim.
Thanks again folk.
Hi.

Slug Size is good to measure/note/compare. (I was not the one to bring that up, above.)

I have a friendly suggestion. When you do get to see the other slugs, make a photo of the two together and come back to the forum and post that photo in this thread.

Also, showing the replacement of the slugs (if done by you) in a series of photos (showing the steps of replacement and the sail track etc.) would be a good thing to add to the Cruisers WIKI or in a new thread with the topic of "Replacing Sail Slugs." Stuff like that will help others in the future.
__________________

__________________
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbies - Boat Launching 101 yottiejohn Off Topic Forum 4 28-07-2009 19:52
"recent price reduction""owner anxious""bring all offers" sailorboy1 Dollars & Cents 10 22-01-2009 12:25
Need Advice on launching screecher or asy from sock? Sail Dumaguete Multihull Sailboats 34 18-09-2008 00:51
Docking and or Launching whitecaps Multihull Sailboats 0 06-07-2007 14:57



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:46.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.