Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-04-2010, 07:32   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Call some ASA teachers in your area to take the basic courses . Meet and greet at the dock. Get on the water. Forget the wife, that is forget the wife being on the water with you.Don't buy a boat yet. Get some sailing under your belt first. Try calling a Sailtime program in your area. Thats a good way to get experience and meet like minded friends.
Just my 2 cents$.

Old 24-04-2010, 19:55   #17
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
On that note ....... and not wanting to get anyone offside in the charter game... whats the determining factor in choosing one charter company over the other up Queensland way ? Id hate to introduce us into the wonderful world of sailing only to choose a rouge company or hire a crap boat and have you all say ,oh you should hav..............

Old 25-04-2010, 11:44   #18

Boat: C&C 34
Ah yes...inner peace. That and taking a good diesel mechanic along will get you far.
Old 25-04-2010, 17:04   #19
bvh

so.......... about our first sailing experience..... whats the go with bareboat chartering ,what do we look for when choosing one ?
Old 26-04-2010, 12:38   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I'm glad you are following your dream. You can look at the links after my signature for some boat ideas but apologies that they are mostly U. S. made.
kind regards,
Old 26-04-2010, 13:50   #21

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
On boat choices, I'd suggest to buy a cheap boat first ($10,000 is heaps) and plan to keep it a couple of years. Make all your dumbest mistakes on it first. When it comes to looking for a boat in the Valiant 40 class, don't forget that there are some very good Australian custom built cruising yachts that are top notch. (Buizen if $ are no problem and Bluewater Cruising Yachts at Newcastle make a very well built yacht for much less $) There are examples of both on Port Phillip Bay where you are.

Greg
Old 26-04-2010, 16:40   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvh View Post
so.......... about our first sailing experience..... whats the go with bareboat chartering ,what do we look for when choosing one ?
More than 1 way to skin a cat but on the wife front I would highly highly recomend the softly softly approach...........to that end charterwise I would be looking for the most pleasant overall experiance even at the cost of non-demanding sailing or leaving feeling you haven't learnt much that would take you trans ocean And more than the 1 nice trip . Putting happy experiances into the bank (and not just IOU's) allows you draw on them for the more challenging events to come.

About 15 years ago I recall that in Airlie (I think?) there were skippered yachts set up for the backpacker market that run out to the Whitsundays for a few days or so. Downside is that you share with half a dozen younger strangers, upside is you get a skipper (and hostess / cook) and can choose how much interest you take in the sailing stuff vs chillin' out and livin' da dream.........not 5 star (it's a budget market) but not uncivilised either. The Skipper of the boat I was on (former racing boat) was looking to sell, so he's probably not still there

Was my first experiance of sailing in a Force 6 wearing a t-shirt and slapping on the sun screen whilst lounging in the cockpit.............instead of huddled up in a corner against freezing driving rain That messes with yer mind.........
Old 26-04-2010, 20:55   #23

Boat: Hunter 23 - LunaSea
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvh View Post
On that note ....... and not wanting to get anyone offside in the charter game... whats the determining factor in choosing one charter company over the other up Queensland way ? Id hate to introduce us into the wonderful world of sailing only to choose a rouge company or hire a crap boat and have you all say ,oh you should hav..............
ASA schools are certified around the world I believe so you should find many in your area. I read somewhere that there are more sailboats in Sydney than any other city in the world. Compare the prices and what they will actually give you. Each offer different accommodations and locations. That's how we did it and we have not regretted it one bit. Have fun
Old 26-04-2010, 21:30   #24

Boat: Irwin sloop
You are definately on the right track. Simply add water stir and enjoy.
Old 27-04-2010, 20:29   #25

Boat: Searunner 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The inner peace is NOT in the Pacific!!!!!!!!!

Its inside you, waiting to be found.

Before we came away Nicolle said: 'In 1 year I will be a completely different person.'

I told her then, and its right now, and its right for you now, in 1 year or 5 years: You will still be the SAME person.

If you want to be better at being a human, or 'finding' yourself then sit right down where you are right now and learn.

Beacuse sailing for a decade ain't gunna teach you nothing like that.

As Indigo Girls sang:

I sailed my ship of safety till I sank it, I'm crawling on your shore.
I went to the doctor, I went to the mountains
I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain
There's more than one answer to these questions
pointing me in crooked line
The less I seek my source for some definitive
The closer I am to fine.

Nic is just the same person now. And I am just the same person too. Sailing has changed nothing. If we were a$$holes then, the great Pacific ain't gunna change it.

Go sailing, and you will love it! The Pacific is wonderful! But you will jus be you
Maybe with that knowledge you will find you are actually quite an oK person and don't really need to 'change'

All the best

Mark
Mark,
As I started reading this I was certain you'd say that while inner peace can't be found in the Pacific it was to be found in the Red Sea. I think you just don't want to let everyone in on the depth of your Red Sea experience.
Old 27-04-2010, 23:07   #26
bvh

theres a story there !!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO TELL , this could make or break me , cmon.
Old 28-04-2010, 00:47   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Mark,
As I started reading this I was certain you'd say that while inner peace can't be found in the Pacific it was to be found in the Red Sea. I think you just don't want to let everyone in on the depth of your Red Sea experience.
Yes it was an experience...

I thought I wrote a bit for it. I also wrote a bit I havent put up yet.

The pirate thing is very full on.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 15:48   #28
bvh

Ahoy.........weve done it !!! why rent when you can buy hey. Considering weve never sailed but got a heap of power experience we found the perfect first yacht and just bought her >>Macgregor 26<<. This my experienced boaty friends i hope will get us closer to the Real yacht , blue water and lifestyle we are yearning for ! (still got my sights on a Valiant40 tho)
Old 13-05-2010, 21:35   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Congratulations! There are several threads here on the Macgregors. My personal bottom line is that it isn't a great power boat and isn't a great sailboat.

It is, however, a great crossover boat and I suspect you will have a lot of fun with it.

Pay attention to the ballasting recommendations when sailing and you'll have a great time.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 04:45   #30
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Hi bvh

Guess what, now she's the one inviting friends out for a sail on the boat and she wants to drive all the time and I have been relegated to sail trimmer and head unblocker etc. However, it's a nice change from trying to drag her along on my dream.

Happy sailing, Greg
Hey guess what - not to disillusion you, but the reason we want to drive all the time is because on the whole it's easier to turn a wheel than a winch.

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: