Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 12:39   #31

Boat: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Firstly you have to understand what you "really" want the boat to do, ie is this a marina queen, or do you really think , really really think that youll bluewater it.
If "marina queen" is the correct technical term for a comfortable boat that will spend most of its time on a mooring ball, anchored, or cruising coastal waters, than yes - a marina queen is what we want.

It needs to be a functional home / office on day #1. Crossing an ocean is something that we wont be attempting until we have more experience under our belts, and perhaps not until we move on to boat #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
My advice is ( beside the sail first), is to formulate as quickly as possible a list of 4 or 5 models that interest you, then get to know these and then decide.
Trying to narrow down that list of target boats is why I am here asking for recommendations and advice.

Perhaps I need to start a new thread asking for "marina queen" recommendations, because it seems as if a lot of people are missing the point of what we are looking for.

- Chris
technomadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 13:35   #32
cruiser

to follow up on your marina queen description, will you be inter island sailing? or strictly day trips out and back to the same marina? like on weekends/time off periods?
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 13:47   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
to follow up on your marina queen description, will you be inter island sailing? or strictly day trips out and back to the same marina? like on weekends/time off periods?
We would follow the same pattern of travel we did with the RV. We'd set up base someplace for a week or two, or occasionally a month or more. And then we'd move on to the next place - spending a few weeks in transit enjoying the time in between.

And we would probably do our best to avoid staying at actual marinas, just like we tried to avoid staying at commercial campgrounds very often.

- Chris
Old 21-01-2011, 13:56   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomadia View Post
We would follow the same pattern of travel we did with the RV. We'd set up base someplace for a week or two, or occasionally a month or more. And then we'd move on to the next place - spending a few weeks in transit enjoying the time in between.

And we would probably do our best to avoid staying at actual marinas, just like we tried to avoid staying at commercial campgrounds very often.

- Chris
you maybe want to do a bit of reasarch into the cruising ground you intend to be in,as it is not allways possible to find good anchorages for long term use and also be able to cruise around,what area did you have in mind?this may also relate to what type of boat you ultimately choose.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 13:58   #35
cruiser

I am a newbie, but i am thinking that although interisland isnt ocean crossing, it is still open water, and there are things stated above that would apply to the type of boat you choose to get/use...
Old 21-01-2011, 14:00   #36
cruiser

Quote:
If "marina queen" is the correct technical term for a comfortable boat that will spend most of its time on a mooring ball, anchored, or cruising coastal waters, than yes - a marina queen is what we want.
You are currently in the VI? Is this where you want to start? If so you darned well need to know how to move and secure your boat quickly and efficiently or get elsewhere for the summer.. Argh there be Hurricanes.

On the plus side if you want to expand your reach your skills are in great demand re yacht electronics.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 14:02   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
It is possible to find boats that are spacious and sail well. Pilothouses give you more room and light. I have one of these:
Boat Classifieds Y2K - boats for sale

They are comfortable, spacious and sail well.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 14:13   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you maybe want to do a bit of reasarch into the cruising ground you intend to be in,as it is not allways possible to find good anchorages for long term use and also be able to cruise around,what area did you have in mind?this may also relate to what type of boat you ultimately choose.
We would focus our cruising grounds on places that we can find good long-term anchorages with reasonably good net connectivity. This will define the places that we stay longer term.

- Chris
Old 21-01-2011, 14:17   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
It is possible to find boats that are spacious and sail well. Pilothouses give you more room and light. I have one of these:
Boat Classifieds Y2K - boats for sale

They are comfortable, spacious and sail well.
nice boat, but that site has listings from back in 2003 just a few pages back...
Old 21-01-2011, 14:20   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
nice boat, but that site has listings from back in 2003 just a few pages back...
Thats when he bought it.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 14:21   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
You are currently in the VI? Is this where you want to start? If so you darned well need to know how to move and secure your boat quickly and efficiently or get elsewhere for the summer.. Argh there be Hurricanes.
We are currently in the USVI for the winter, and this might be a good place to start for us. Or our RV is currently parked at a friend's place in FL, so that is another option. Or elsewhere. We are all about flexibility.

We've met several local USVI liveaboards, and they've shown us where they tie up in Hurricane Hole when needed.

- Chris
Old 21-01-2011, 14:28   #42
cruiser

I wish you good luck.
Not to be rude but it sounds like you may well need it.
I speak from experience.
I know my lack of salt cost me a boat.
Fair winds following seas.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 14:31   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I'm not suggesting he buy it just that it's an example of something he could look for.

Old 21-01-2011, 14:32   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats when he bought it.....
Oh mine is way nicer

Old 21-01-2011, 14:40   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
usvi not a bad place to start,though its not really travelling since its still in the us,also gets trashed most years by hurricanes,so fine spend dec -june then check out trinidad like the other 10 000 carib boaties do it not rocket science.

you seem to have sused out how to support your selves whilst living on board,at the end of the day all it takes is cash and a bit of luck and initiative.......
carib is a great cruising ground,tho not the best internet is pretty much available one way or another every where
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water