Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:57   #1

Boat: O'Day23,Sanibel18, Mirror Dinghy
Tasmania, New Zealand or ?

Hi all,

I have been lurking in the Cruisers Forum for awhile but I don't post much as you can see.

I am a "Trailer Sailor" mostly, because I can take what I love to do, to assorted places, and explore the area on and off the water. I am not a great sailor, but I try to stay within my abilities while always trying to improve. I have never been the type to wait until everything is just right to give something a try. I hate the word "scary".

I think I am basically a backpacker with a boat.

Last week I was sailing with a friend for the first time on his Hobie 16. We were on Lake Pepin in Wisconsin on a weekday with the lake pretty much to ourselves. I was surprised at how stable that cat felt when compared to my Mirror Dinghy! We practiced working together and it was just amazing.

I am retired(pretty much) and with my wife of 44 years blessing, have decided to go have a few adventures. I am interested in traveling to New Zealand or Tasmania and possibly finding a way to live part or all of the time aboard a boat. I'm always more interested in the people in a place than the scenery and I also like to leave things a little better than when I found them.

If you are ever up in this neck of the woods, give me a call.

MikeB
"Magic"
heymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:53   #2

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. I learned to sail on the Great Lakes. How far up north in Wisconsin, Hurley? You will want to check out the Bay of Islands in N.Z. 4 nice sailing clubs, great cruising area and heaps to see. A lot of folks leave their boats here for the season while they do some land traveling. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 22:08   #3

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement, matauwhi.
I began by looking at the Bay of Islands area, it is just beautiful. I sent an email to a person at a cruising club in Opua, but I haven't heard back as yet. A friend mentioned Tasmania and later that day a young lady at my local coffee shop was talking about her trip to Hobart, so I figured the great googly moogly was trying to get my attention!
I live closer to Minneapolis/St. Paul on the Wisconsin side of the river. I love the Great Lakes up by Duluth and the North Channel is amazing!
I sail little boats right now, but I hope to have some experiences in something a little larger. My friends tell me I spend more time sailing than they do however, because my boats are always ready to go. I would sure be happy to expand my horizons some.
Thanks again
MikeB
"Magic"
Old 05-09-2010, 21:10   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Small boats teach you sail handling much faster than larger ones.
You've come to the right forum for finding lots of good information.
kind regards,
Old 06-09-2010, 06:24   #5

Thanks for the reply Skiprjohn,
Even at my advanced age, I listened to other folks with lots of experience who all suggested smaller to start. I've been hanging out in the Trailer Sailors Forum(another site) and going to a few sailing get togethers. Those people with West Wight Potters are a great bunch, and are always sailing someplace.
I have always dreamed of seeing New Zealand and that whole part of the world. I am determined to find someone with a boat parked someplace to use as a base for traveling around. The main problem is how to hook up with someone, and convince them I'm not some scam artist that will screw up their boat. Ideally, if I found someone who was trying to sell, or was going to be gone for awhile, I could boat sit. In any case I would certainly be willing to pay my way. I am handy and can fix about anything, so if some stuff needed doing to make the boat show better, I would just do it.
Thanks again,
Mike
"Magic"

Tags
New Zealand