Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2011, 13:42   #1

Tartan 4600 or Nordic 44

I am new to the forum. I am looking to buy a used mid 40 foot boat that will be used primarily in the Puget Sound region, gulf islands etc where light wind is common in the summer. Hopefully in about 5 years I would like to do some cruising down to mexico and may be across to the South Pacific. I wanted opinions whether any one has had any experience with either the tartan 4600 1990 vintage or nordic 44 1980 vintage. Both boats seem to wear better than the high production boats such as Beneteau, Jeanneau etc.
sailforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 13:49   #2

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Tartan 4600 or Nordic 44

Nordic 44 would be my choice but then I have a love of Bob Perry's boats. Why? Because I own and sail one.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 13:50   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico

isn't the Nordic a Robert Perry design? That should be a good heavy weather boat. Tartans from the 90's were great too, but probably intended more for racing/cruising.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 13:51   #4

Boat: Cabo Rico

Mimsy beat me
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 14:14   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I'm bias too! Go for the Nordic.
Old 25-02-2011, 14:42   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

the newer boat
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 15:25   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
the newer boat
-the newest byou can afford so the sailing project doesnt become a renovation project,,just bsayin is all im saying about maintananbce,,,dont get yourself possessed by your possessions is all,,words of wisdom from a favourite aunt that died young of cancer,,,,cheers and fair winds
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:14   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha,

I have no opinion but welcome aboard.
kind regards,
Old 30-10-2011, 12:56   #9

Boat: Nordic 44 1980

Sail forever,I have owned a Nordic 44 1980,for 20 years, and updated it continually for blue water cruising,shorthanded offshore,and for live aboard capability.Bob Perry is a friend of mine and he advised me on modifications for shorthanded sailing(wife and self).I added a hard dodger,cutter rig,and reefing systems,roller furling etc,all controlled from the cockpit.We were set to do Mexico,and South Pacific,but 2 knee replacements recently forces me to sell and change direction. This boat has 6kw genset,washer dryer,ice maker,trashcompacter,double radars,48 and 24 mile systems,double chartplotters,60 gall per hour watermaker,and all the safety gear,davits,large solar panels,agm glass mat batteries(4 8Ds)Separate start,windlass and genset batteries,150 plus 80 amp alternaters. Plus much more. We have 5500 miles of light offshore summer cruising,2 months a year,and keep her at our floating home in Portland.Bottom paint july 2011. All work done by ABYC guys. Call if you are still looking for a boat. 503 285 8778.
nordic 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 13:24   #10

Boat: Nordic 44 1980

Sail forever,I forgot to mention the sailing capabilities of the Nordic 44.My background is in racing IOR boats at world championship level in different parts of the world.We have sailed the Nordic in 60 knots,down wind short Puget Sound seas,with the auto pilot handling perfectly. We get the chute down at 25 knots when short handing. The huge rudder and skeg combined with the flat underbody aft let this boat surf effortlessly. Up wind in 40 knots,2 reefs and staysail,7 knots,minimal heel and no pounding. In light air,performance,up wind or down,we have the same speed as the apparent wind!! We had a light air run down to the Columbia from Flattery last year(10 -12 knots wind speed). With full main and #1,we left at the same time as 3 bigger boats,who chose to use engines. We sailed all the way,130 miles and beat them all in by 2 hours! I cannot say enough about the sea kindliness of the 44 .She beats the multitude of racers for manners and ease of handling in any conditions in my entire sailing career of 60 years.
nordic 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 19:57   #11

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:38   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, nordic 44.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:59   #13

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

I can't comment on relative merits of the two boats since I've never sailed on the Nordic. I have crewed from the East Coast to the USVI via Bermuda a couple of times on a Tartan 4600. The boat is fast and comfortable. The bridge deck setup is one of the best bad weather, night watch locations I've experienced in a boat that wasn't completely closed up. The cockpit is large, but we never got pooped, so I can't comment on drainage. It's a great place to hang out.

Belowdecks worked well for a crew of four though we didn't use the forward berth offshore. There was lots of stowage for spares, food, etc. One trip was cursed with lots of mechanical issues. We took to referring to the boat as Home Depot, because there always seemed to be an appropriate spare tucked away in yet another cubby. I covet the large deck locker forward. It got lots of port paraphernalia out of the lazarettes, but still easy to get at.

The boat I was on had electric winches. I can't imagine sailing as a couple without them given the forces in play. If I had a criticism, the boat did work a bit in nasty weather in the Gulf Stream. You could hear the cabinets flexing against the hull in a number of locations. However, we were going to windward in 30+ knots and she did fine once we got the sail plan down to an appropriate level.

I've only sailed a couple of times in the PNW, but the Tartan 4600 should do very nicely in the light airs that seem to be the norm in good weather.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 17:47   #14

Boat: Polaris 43

Hello-

Did you sell her yet?
kkotsur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 19:00   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sailforever,

Welcome aboard.

IMO, both should serve you well, so you have to choose based on some other criteria.

Which ticks the most of your boxes?

As long as both look safe below decks in a large seaway (handholds, etc.), then storage space becomes a big factor. Even little (26 foot) boaters collect souvenirs when they cross the Pacific. You need more storage space when you live aboard and cruise year after year....or you need discipline to know when to throw out good *stuff*. Unsought advice: if you're not already a pack rat, for heaven's sake don't become one!

Another factor to consider is the running and standing rigging, which is newer, or which requires replacing? Ditto sails, and ditto engine.

There have been a number of berth size threads on CF. If you're really a big guy, that might be a factor for you.

Finally, choose the one that makes your heart go pitty-pat the most, or let your significant other choose after you've winnowed the choice down to two or three specific boats. No SO? Flip a coin: if you don't like the way it came out, then take the one that you really want.

Ann

Tags
nordic