Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2010, 23:34   #16

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
One man's problem is another man's dream.

You should pay attention to the other posters comments about insurability.

That said, your best bet to find cheap boats is to look in the front?back? of the yard out by the road, where the "for sale" boats are that are never going to be launched by the current owner. Talk to the boatyard owner about who owes $ for dry storage or which ones are for sale for more than a year by an estate/widow. If in your area strike a deal with the yard about live-aboard -- you might be able to turn a liability into an asset/customer for the yard.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 01:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
You previously said "25 to 40 ft is target size". I still think finding a boat in the 40 ft range for $2000 goes beyond the box and doesn't begin to count the cost of bringing it up to seaworthy and insurable condition not to mention operating and maintenance costs. Good luck with your search but watch the tendency some folks have of rushing into something like this major a project with no conception of the real cost.

I am very much aware of these issues.
Old 16-11-2010, 01:40   #18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
There are two boats on ebay that are within 250 miles of Sherman, Tx and might meet your critera.

sailboat items - Get great deals on Boats, Sailboats items on eBay Motors!

Good Luck.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 16-11-2010, 02:08   #19

response to Anti DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon44 View Post
you are correct: No defense intended..I read "offense intended". Go sailing to clear your head.
You may think whatever you wish. If you wish to take offense over someone having a different view point, that is on you not me. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. It is not going to slow me down in the least. You have no control over my life or the used boat market.

A very good friend once told me, if they are not making your thrills, paying your bills or helping you raise your children, they don't get a vote and that there will always be naysayers and dooms day artist, no matter what a person wants or tries to do. There are a lot of folks who have already accomplished a goal such as this. I have already accomplished a multitude of things in my life that people thought could not be done.
The up side is, for every naysayer that has been attached to this project, I have had many supportive and out right helpful. naysayers are in the minority.

Since you are obviously so certain of your rightness, let me make you or any one else with your attitude/ view point the following offer: please feel free to donate what you feel is an appropriate amount of CASH to my paypal account to do this YOUR WAY. If you email me I will give you the proper paypal email so you may get a vote in my boat buying decision. I promise you it will most assuredly be used to buy a boat in better condition then my meager sail kitty allows at this point.

Momma always said, if you can't say something nice, keep your mouth shut.
Also I would like to point out that to go sailing to clear my head I need the boat that you say is impossible to get.
IMO your issues have nothing to do with sailing so please be kind enough to take your off topic anti DIY agenda to a different thread. Perhaps you could start your own anti DIY thread. If you do jsut please mark it as such clearly so those of us who have hope and know what can be done and who wish to follow in the wake of those who have ALREADY accomplished this dream are warned so as to not waste our time with reading your discouragement.

Give it up as you are .
Old 16-11-2010, 02:21   #20

Thumbs up FINALLY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
One man's problem is another man's dream.

You should pay attention to the other posters comments about insurability.

That said, your best bet to find cheap boats is to look in the front?back? of the yard out by the road, where the "for sale" boats are that are never going to be launched by the current owner. Talk to the boatyard owner about who owes $ for dry storage or which ones are for sale for more than a year by an estate/widow. If in your area strike a deal with the yard about live-aboard -- you might be able to turn a liability into an asset/customer for the yard.
As far as insurance goes, yeah its a real pain in the tuukus but I'm already on that one. A far as sources for a cheap boat, Yep, that's the plan. It is how I have found all these boats that are not within my geography.
If things work the way I am hoping they will, I'll be leaving on a trip to go boat shopping in better location soon. I have at least three boats spotted that the ONLY problem on them is they have been sitting. I figure the engine is going to need work but since I do not need an engine to sail, it's ALL GOOD!
Old 16-11-2010, 02:31   #21

Location: 87-97 First Avenue, Mooloolaba 4557 Queensland, Australia
It's actually out of the box because in my searches the prices starts from $20t and up. Well if you have found some 2k livable boats that meets your standards, you're lucky mate..
Happy sailing.
kurt5251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 02:39   #22

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
I figure the engine is going to need work but since I do not need an engine to sail, it's ALL GOOD!
Pardon?

Ok, so exactly HOW do you expect to get to/from the marina? You do know that 99% of marinas FORBID the use of sails within their boundry?

It's those kind of statements that worry me, it's the kind of attitude that gets boats wreaked or worse, you killed.

Don't get me wrong, I admire your ambition and your 'i can do this' attitude but don't be so dismissive of other peoples comments. You said to Jon - "please feel free to donate what you feel is an appropriate amount of CASH to my paypal account to do this YOUR WAY"

Can I just point out this is an ADVISE FORUM, if you don't want it, what are you doing here? No one is saying what they are to be nasty or try and spoil your plans, they are giving genuine oppinions and are trying to help. It's entirely up to you whether you take it or not.
simonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 02:51   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Bit more info and we can be more help no doubt, where and what currency to start.

Sure, you may find 'something' for 2k but whether it's pounds or dollars, it's still going to need more spent on it, i'm sure you know that but just thought i'd state the obvious.

A boat may look fine on blocks in a yard but won't be much fun to live on if it sinks once put in the water!

However, wherever in the world you are, a cheap boat is still going to be better value than property anyday and you'll never be bored.....
Thanks, I had not considered sharing that info. US currency. Absolute max for the boat itself if it just needs cosmetic work and maybe the engine reworked or replaced is 1500.00. Better if it is only 1000.
HULL strength is the first priority, NO BLISTERS , fiberglass work , hull work, soft decks, cracked chain plates, bad mast, title issues etc re obvious deal breakers. I'm in Oklahoma. If I HAD to I could connect to Blue water via rivers from Tulsa. I could literally float/ scowl down stream to gulf, if i had to. I am looking at coastal areas since my car is not going to tow any thing very big. If I pulled a 22 Mac Gregor EMPTY I'd be pushing the envelope on tow so a trailer is not a deal breaker although it would help. I can rent a truck to pull it a short distance, if I absolutely have to.
Actually I am hoping to find a junk rig. That happening is IMO going to take a miracle but what the heck, anything is possible. "Going for the gold gets rewarded". Even with no sails, no equipment and an interior that needs a complete remodel, I'd snag it in a new york minute, if it checks it out.
I know how to built a junk rig sail. it wont be the prettiest thing out there at first but use of poly tarp to get me started is a proven materiel so I'm good to go. I have TONS Of poly tarp. Getting the wood for battens, rings blocks etc is not a big deal. Plus I have back up and help if I need it for details on the junk rigging. I already have a small junk sail. It is small , maybe only 90 - 100 sq ft but it would work in a pinch to get the boat moved initially and would make a great mizzen sail. Iff all else fails I'll put a cat claw or leg of mutton on it to get it moved then do a proper junk sail later.
Once I actually have bought the boat, I'm figuring to sit on a mooring while i fix it or sail it to a DIYer freindly yard. Have spotted a couple with in a reasonable drive to my house. Once I have this all set up as for as have the boat, I'm selling this place so the long term benifit of a trailer is a not such important issue to me. Eventually cutting the dock lines is a given.
Old 16-11-2010, 03:06   #24

Response

"Ok, so exactly HOW do you expect to get to/from the marina? You do know that 99% of marinas FORBID the use of sails within their boundry?"

Thanks for that info. It appears to validates my hunch that I was going to have to most likely moor the boat until I got the engine done unless it was already in a transferable slip. Now I know why that hunch was tapping me in the back of my mind.

If you know the answer to, this I'd appreciate some insight.

1. There are people who sail without a motor. How do they get into marinas for supplies etc? The answer that comes to my mind is by use of a dingy.

2. Since that is not strictly speaking what this thread is about, I'm thinking maybe start a new thread unless i find one that covers issues like that. You would not happen to know if one already exist do you ? That would be helpful if it does. I have not had time to check out each and every thread yet.

3. If you read your friends response you can see why I made the remark I did. If you compare it with other suggestions and advice that has been posted and see my responses and compare that to your friends you should be able to why I said what I said.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:53   #25

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
"There are people who sail without a motor. How do they get into marinas for supplies etc? The answer that comes to my mind is by use of a dingy. "

The only sailboats that I know of these days that don't have motors fitted are the proper racing yachts. These usualy are helped in and out of their marinas by another smaller RIB or tender acting as a tug. Simple fact is that you cannot come into a marina under sail, period. It's just far to dangerous as even if you had a system to drop them in a flash you'd still have no way of killing your momentum before you ran into something. Modern marinas are quite tightly packed and simply don't have the room to manouver under sail.

Yes of course, you can always anchor and go in on a tender but you'll still need to come in a some point!
simonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 11:01   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I truly believe you are asking for a lot, but one never knows unless they ask. BEST WISHES in finding what you seek........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 13:27   #27

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Since you choose to use this quote, "Momma always said, if you can't say something nice, keep your mouth shut." let's walk the talk here.

You can call this anything you want but people much more experienced than you are giving you some honest feedback. Anything is possible but some things should be left to those who know and understand the obstacles involved with your plan. I assume you recognize that or you wouldn't have asked the question originally.

There are far too many post on this forum which sound like troll posts asking the most elementary questions and we are, so far, giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Buying a boat of any appreciable size for what you suggest means you will spend FAR more than it's worth, now or after you are done, than most people would trying to improve it. In the end, it's a DIY boat done by someone clearly not a professional. The risk to both you and any successor owner is a valid point and we are looking past your plan including how your actions impact others including anyone who may someday be called upon to rescue you.

All anyone here has given you is constructive. Please take it as such.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 07:25   #28

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Sometimes the trouble with typed words is they can be misread and arguments can bubble up. Always a risk easpecially when you get contankerous sailors types with time to spare................

Anyway, good luck from me in achieving your aims.

It certainly reads like you have a challenge or two in front of you, but if you have the desire and the ability to communicate well with others, no reason why you can't have fun turning your dreams into reality and getting the help required to do so.

Just remember that journey can be as good as the end destination.......so enjoy it.

JOHN
Old 17-11-2010, 07:42   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Sometimes the trouble with typed words is they can be misread and arguments can bubble up. Always a risk easpecially when you get contankerous sailors types with time to spare................

Anyway, good luck from me in achieving your aims.

It certainly reads like you have a challenge or two in front of you, but if you have the desire and the ability to communicate well with others, no reason why you can't have fun turning your dreams into reality and getting the help required to do so.

Just remember that journey can be as good as the end destination.......so enjoy it.

JOHN
Correction.... the journey IS better than the end destination.... which usually turns out to be what you left behind... just a different climate and language....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 07:55   #30

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Shouldn't this thread be titled:

TakinDaPlunge?
Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote