Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 02:51   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Suddenly I own a big sailboat I don't know what to do with

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bob.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 06:22   #17

NADA guides optimistically shows between $91K and $103K as average retail value. Which realistically means about $50-$60K, if that, in real life. But as was suggested earlier best to talk to a few recommended brokers or look up prices on Yachtworld, adjust for it's current condition and go from there. May be it is not in as bad of a condition as you presume. And then again it may be worse than supposed. Only the potential buyers' interest or lack thereof at the listed price will will give you an answer.

PS If the first person who sees the boat once it's listed gives you the asking price you probably asked too little. But with most boats it's better to seller under priced boat quickly than not to sell overpriced one for a long time. Time is not on your side in this situation.

PPS Being a 1997 and a well known name (albeit not known for its superb quality) this boat still has about 10 useful insurable years and may be very attractive to a liveaboard or a cruiser on a budget. Barring any major issues it should sell quickly, assuming it is priced to sell and not to squeeze every possible dollar.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:13   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float

I would get a quick survey of service needs and an estimate on what it would cost to repair minor annoyances.m it could be a surprise. Considering it was your dads boat, I am assuming that you bought for a deep discount? If you fix it, can you make a profit on it? I would not leave it afloat if you do not have the time to spend on it or the budget to have it managed by a third party. It may just become a salvage boat if it sank unsupervised.

It's a good sized boat - I would take some time to review the details and to size up your decision.
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 04:09   #19
Sav

Boat: Manitou 32 Ketch

... do you sail?

... do you dream of sailing?

Answer those questions honestly, then make a decision to keep or sell that boat.

Don't expect to get what you paid for it, and regardless what you spend on it, don't expect to increase the value of what you bought.
Sav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 04:32   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

I feel the OP should clean up the boat and sell it. This waiting etc. is the normal start of a boats death and the longer it goes on the worst it will be.
Old 20-01-2017, 05:13   #21

Boat: Valiant 40

1. Sell it. As soon as possible. The longer it sits unattended the more money you lose from depreciation, deterioration, dockage, insurance, etc.

2. Do the "quick and dirty" repairs, which will help the boat show better. There are a ton of Hunters like yours out there so there will be competition in the market. There are four on Yachtworld right now, and your boat will be priced relative to them in terms of condition.

For example, fix the heads. If it's the actual heads that are broken, and not the plumbing/tank, unless you do it yourself it will probably be cheaper to replace them with new than have the yard rebuild them (a job they are not fond of, an many will not do). Expensive stuff, like the AC, leave for the buyer. You'd lose money fixing/replacing that almost certainly.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat