Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 07:58   #1

Starting My Dream

hey i am shawn new to the sailing world. I am looking to get a sail boat and continue my adventures by sea. I am looking to start small i live in morehead city nc. I am planning to sail from here to the bahamas and back a few times then extend to farther reaches or the carribbean then to costa rica panama, and then hopefully two years be in fiji. I look forward to heariing from other sailors and getting thier advice on size of boat i should get and other things i might need to know.
IDreamOfFiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12   #2

Boat: g-cat 5. m
Welcome aboard the CF
nothing wrong with having a dream
courageous cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:20   #3

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
IDreamofFiji,

I too have recently begun my dream of circumnavigating and have been asking similar questions.

What I've gotten in my research is this:

No one agrees on size of boat. It is always an answer that is hard to give because everyone has different levels of comfort tolerance, sailing preference. Such things come into play, are you sailing solo, taking on crew, do you want to bring all your food or can/do you plan on eating off the fish in the sea?

I think the single best thing I've gotten out of all of this is that only you can determine what you should get to sail in. To that extent I'm taking a lot of people's advice and I am going to volunteer crew on a number of vessels over the next year or two and get some experience on different boats and learn from others who are out there doing it. Nothing like a bit of practical experience to help inform you of your own tolerances and preferences.

You can read about my dream on my website withsailsunfurled.com

Best of luck to you and maybe we'll see each other out there someday!
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28   #4

thanks guys i am getting excitied to do this i wouls love to find a crew position to get the experiance. I am am talking to a friend of mine now whose daughter has a sail boat for sale and find a crew to with experiance who would like to go to the bahamas and carribbean. Good luck to everyone.
IDreamOfFiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:55   #5

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Welcome to CF Fiji!

100% on here dream, 10% go. Which are you going to be?

I think you need to get a plan that will allow for changes. such as, if you can't crew on a boat, take lessons, buy a boat and GO SAILING, that is the best experience. If you aren't comfortable on a lake in a little boat, you won't be on a bigger boat out of sight from land. Heck, buy a used sunfish, laser, etc. and teach yourself to sail. But if you try that, be prepared to laugh at yourself and you WILL get wet.

Having said that there IS more to sailing well than hoisting a sail and making the boat move through the water. For the finer points hang around a marina and talk to people who race, you'll learn LOADS about sail trimming and getting the most from the wind.

I could go on, but you get my drift, if not ask away!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:19   #6

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
Welcome Shawn, I like the 35 to 40 food range but some of my frinds sail 48 footers and they are vary nice and roomy. The best boat for you is the one YOU like. You have a great dream! Injoy.
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 20:16   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. The hardest thing for an experience sailor to do is advise someone on what boat to choose. Everyone has their own idea of what is the perfect boat.
kind regards,