Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2009, 07:07   #1

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
Start of Our New Adventure! All Advice Appreciated!

Rusty, my husband, and I have been talking about taking a long cruise for years. Several things happened that made me realize, (primarily my birthday) that I didn't have alot of years to wait so when Rusty called and said there were several Seawind 1000's for sale I said lets do it. So we are in the process of buying a SeaWind 1000 and planing a 6+ month trip to the Bahama's and the BVI. Then we plan on working a job, living on the boat, and then taking another long trip on the boat. We are soooo excited but we realize we have alot to research and learn. Rusty has been sailing for over 30 years. We have chartered the SeaWind 3 times and have chartered several other boats. We have always sailed the Bahamas because of time constraints and because chartering is so expensive. We want to have internet capabilities and I would like to be able to IChat. My daughter and I do that now with MAC's and I love it. We NEED the expertise of experienced cruisers. We probably need information on things we don't even know we need information on. So we will be most grateful for anyone who is willing to share their wisdom. Thanks so much!! Rusty and Linda
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 07:26   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Sitton View Post
We probably need information on things we don't even know we need information on.
Good luck to you!

Troll through this website... its full of it! Ummm, information, I mean

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 07:28   #3

Good for you. The thorny path to the Carib is tough, but in my opinion the Eastern Caribe has it all over the Bahamas.

Don't know about internet except in cafes, but after you head east from FL the connectivity I would think is not what you would want.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 07:50   #4

Thanks

Thank you for responding. We are sooooo excited!!
Old 13-09-2009, 09:52   #5

If you haven't already done so, pick up a copy of The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South - The Thornless Path to Windward by Bruce Van Sant. Believe it is in the 9th Edition by now. Pretty straight forward. Covers the Bahama's, Turks & Caicos, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Spanish Virgin Island and more.
Old 13-09-2009, 10:26   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Do you really want constant internet? Or do you want to immerse yourself into the cruising life? The internet where be there every couple of days most of the time. In the Bahamas you can buy a card for internet that works throughout the Bahamas where ever a tower is, and they are most places. Sometimes being alone with yourself, or your loved one can be very inspiring times!...........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 10:29   #7
Eternal Member

I just thought I would toss this pic in for you. It's from Honeymoon Harbour.......i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LORETTA & TIM.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	9894  
Old 13-09-2009, 12:25   #8

We want constant internet if possible

We want constant internet primarily so our families can stay in touch with us. Our parents are elderly and my mom is in poor health. We have 5 children and 6 grandchildren and we thought it would be a great way of sharing our adventure with those we love. Plus, I know I will be happier knowing my family can reach me. Our families biggest concern is being out of touch. We have assured them we can talk with them daily as we do now.

Thank you for the beautiful picture of Honeymoon Harbor. We have been there a few times but that is an exceptional photo.
Old 13-09-2009, 14:28   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Just do it. You learn as you go.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 10:37   #10
Eternal Member

Thanks for the compliment on the pic. Maybe an emergency sat phone would be better? Check into the Baltec internet cards too. That maybe the closest thing to what you want at a reasonable price in the Bahamas......i2f

Introduction - Maritime - Corporate - Thrane & Thrane
Old 14-09-2009, 10:52   #11

"Good for you. The thorny path to the Carib is tough, but in my opinion the Eastern Caribe has it all over the Bahamas."
The Thornless path is easy, overnighter being the worse case scenario. But in my opinion the Bahamas have it all over the eastern Caribe! But of course, both are wonderful....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 15:28   #12

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
When we were in a similar situation with family members wanting to stay in touch we eventually found it was pointless to stress out about it. Firstly, no matter what you do communications are not going to be as efficient as what you're used to having. Secondly, if you're informed of a crisis, then what?
The crisis will most likely have resolved itself long before you can get to a place with an airport, find a flight that goes to some other place where you can connect to another flight two days later, and eventually get home. We were amazed to discover how well the world got on without us.
Relax.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 17:47   #13

Boat: c&c landfall 43
we also just started our first extended cruise (svrockstar.com) and we have a 2 year old so part of the deal from my family, especially mom, is that we have some way of contacting her every other day or so. SSB is the answer, we love it. it allows us to send text messages via radio signals every day if needed to our web site. we can get updates and receive text to our call sign, so we can be contacted or contact anyone we want any time any where. This by any means does not replace the internet, which I hate to say, has become a favorite thing to do as soon as we hit a port that has a connection. cheers
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 17:49   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Sitton View Post
We want constant internet .

LOLOLOL There are things just not possible in this world at the moment. Constant internet on a sail boat all over the world is one. Maybe at $30,000 per gig etc.

But one of the beauties of being away is that we DO NOT have constant contact with the old home.

I explained SkyMate SMS Tracking to my sister via email yesterday. She wrote back: "I don' t think we are that desperate to know where you are. VBG!"

So just before you think your folks really need to have a daily episodic guide to your travels, that perhaps they would prefer just one email per port

Last weeks photo:

As we were 2 days up the jungle in a local boat we couldn't email these exclusive pics around the world for a full 48 hours! Woe! LOL
Also: Do you really want to be able to get internet here? some places need to be wilderness... in all forms of the word

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 18:00   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am sure glad you and Nic showered and shaved before coming to Singapore - LOL

Linda - I reckon it's important for people to know where you are starting from, where you are going and when you will turn up on the net next. They won't understand that the passage you are making is easy peasy. They will have visions of storms, collisions and giant sea creatures eating you.

There is also something to be said for being out of touch for a few days. There is so much more to talk about...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote