Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-09-2009, 01:04   #16

Boat: Allegro 33
Linda, wonderful and good luck.
Just do it, learn as you go. Dont overplan stuff, to many still at docks planning. Buy a local phonecard where you arrive. Theres nothing you can do anyways in the middle of an ocean, so relax.

Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 03:14   #17

Boat: Cal 34
There are solutions for constant internet at sea, but be prepared to spend a lot of money. Did I say a lot? I meant A LOT.

The INMARSAT line of "fleet brodband" products will gives you "1990s" speed internet.

The cost for the stabilized antenna dome and receiver is about $8,000.

I think the airtime costs about $1 per minute on the phone and like $8 per MB of data. Your very light usage (limited web surfing, weather, some chat, some email) would probably spend about $500/mo for light usage, plus the voice airtime (another $200/mo?).

So, with a budget of about $700/mo and an initial investment of about $10,000 for the hardware and installation. Also keep in mind they apparently can draw up to 100W of power, which would about double the amount my boat uses. :-)

Of course, the cost is coming down by the month, but keeping in mind that geosynchronous orbits are in short supply, I think the satellite bandwidth will always be a tad on the expensive side.

Perhaps a better solution is to agree to regular updates. Constant contact sort of defeats the purpose of a cruising lifestyle, doesn't it?'

An Iridium satellite phone can give you constant availability without constant expense. They run several dollars per minute, but don't require heavy investment and crippling monthly fees.

HobieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 03:50   #18

Boat: Allegro 33
Linda you can also rent an iridiumphone.
If you do not want to make the investment./ Harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 13:08   #19

Boat: Victory 35 Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Crystalbleu
Hi Linda, My name is Crystal, I am also a newbie to Sailing and an internet junkie. My husband and I have rented out the house, sold most of our belongings and are taking the plunge. We are currently under contract on a Victory 35 Cat and hope to be in the Bahamas by Nov. He has put me in charge of researching communications and I have found some great information on e-mail using SSB on this website: Good Luck and maybe well meet out there this winter.
Crystalbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 09:05   #20

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Linda,
Welcome to the site and good luck with the new plans.
Re SSB email v Irridium. Honest - done both with new sets. Forget SSB - too flakey and time and power consuming. Explore Irridium for those few times you've not got wifi / regular phone cover.
All IMHO of course.

Don't take life too seriously. No ones going to make it out alive......Go see our blog at
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 09:51   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Based on my experience - Inmarsat (expensive), Iridium (less so, but slower), SkyMate (even more limited, but probably cheapest), NOT SSB.

I know SSB is still required by some authorities (NZ, Spain, etc) for offshore registration of your ship. But I would go the SSB way only if the transceiver / modem were already in place. For all new builds / fit-out I would skip the SSB as a relic.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 10:39   #22

Boat: Hunter Passage 45 "On On"
Send a message via Yahoo to Jennybug
I just have to throw in my advice. We are in the process of buying a Hunter 45 and we share the same dream of sailing away. We read everything and anything we can get our hands on. Our children (his 4, my 3) are not concerned about where we will be or contacting parents on the other hand will expect us to keep in touch.

We hope to be living aboard by Christmas :-) Oh, I guess I should throw in that we have no sailing experience LOL. The marina has a sailing we will be signed up really soon. There are just some things you cant learn from a book.

Enjoy every second and keep us posted

Corpus Christi, TX
Jennybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 17:00   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in New York
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Originally Posted by Jennybug View Post
buying a Hunter 45 Jeniffer
Corpus Christi, TX
Folks who just left here have a Hunter 43. Very nice
Notes on a Circumnavigation.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 10:44   #24

Hi Linda - we are in the same situation as you guys. We have our boat, a Prout Snowgoose, and plan to be in the Bahamas this winter. Our boat has SSB which we use for simple email etc. but we intend to buy a Sat Phone for emergencies, like you we have parents who are not well & worried families (if I hear one more question about pirates!!) Have you looked at SPOT for simple updates/position reporting?
Biffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 10:51   #25

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
What an exciting time for you guys! Even if you don't iron out all of the problems, you can still go. But this is a great place to begin learning. Congrats!
scook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here and asking about such communication. Many opinions are out there. If you have the money you can be in touch every second. I go to sea to get away from communication so can't be of any help to you.

SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: