Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2014, 07:02   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
SOUTHERN SPAIN HARDSTANDING

I've just joined the forum & would like to pick the brains of Med cruisers. I've been commuter cruising in Med on Pacific Seacraft 37, OREAD with family and friends since 2007 after crossing from Florida with the '07 ARC Rally. We have been cruising in the summer months and leaving the boat hard standing during our off season while we return home for work. We spent 3 years in Spain in the Gulf of Rosas, then worked our way to Agios Nikolaus, Crete for winter storage. Next stop was Marmaris, Turkey where we spent 3 seasons cruising Greek and Turkish waters. Last season we began the long trek back west with the goal of returning the boat to the USA before I get too old.

Our next season, summer 2015, we plan to move from Cagliari, Sardinia to Spain, revisiting some old favorite spots along the way. I want to find a good port for hard standing on the Spanish coast south of Barcelona and i hope some of you out there might have some fairly recent experience and suggestions. Valencia is currently my primary candidate. I look forward to hearing some advice.

I will gladly share some of our experiences if any of you have questions.

Cap't. Phil
SV OREAD
capt_phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 07:30   #2
cruiser

Re: SOUTHERN SPAIN HARDSTANDING

Garrucha, Spain has fantastic facilities, very secure, the cheapest price we could find and a great town with close stores to re-supply. A Mercadona 200 meters from the yard. Very nice, honest people working in the yard. If you need work done, just let me know and I'll send you some phone numbers, or... they will let you do most work in the yard yourself. Gated yard with a guard and security cameras. The only minus, is that gypsum ships load at the commercial dock, so you need to seal up the boat vents and wrap up your furlers with plastic to keep out the dust, but it's a very dry place, so you won't get any mold or moisture in the boat. We would use them again.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 07:58   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

My 2 cents for Almerinar Almeria, i have a couple of friends right now there with a big Dufour Hauling out, so far the reports talk for reasonable prices and a nice boatyard, plenty of bussines around, supermarkets, and nice weather if you dont count the clasic Winter gales from time to time,
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 08:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SOUTHERN SPAIN HARDSTANDING

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
My 2 cents for Almerinar Almeria, i have a couple of friends right now there with a big Dufour Hauling out, so far the reports talk for reasonable prices and a nice boatyard, plenty of bussines around, supermarkets, and nice weather if you dont count the clasic Winter gales from time to time,
I'll give Almerimar my vote as well.. Plus plane and ferry close to hand..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 09:46   #5
cruiser

We checked Almerimar, and actually stayed there for a few days before making our decision last season. A better place for over-wintering on the boat, BUT the storage yard is not secure... Anyone can come and go as they please throughout the day. Garrucha offered 24hr security with gate locked at all times, and monitoring of all people coming and going from the yard. Very important issues if you don't plan on being around.

Garrucha is priced within 10% of Almerimar.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 20:26   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Old 21-12-2014, 03:08   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Barcelona is good, I think it's called vareda, just inside the channel. So is cartegena, nice town and a good wintering community and good rates. Lots of choices there.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardstand, Spain