Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2012, 22:10   #1

Boat: don't have yet
Soldier with a Daydream

Hello everyone my name is SPC Usry Stephen. I'm from Florida and have always wanted to sail. I joined the army have been stationed an Alaska where I refuse to try to sail in three months of summer and still freezing cold waters. When I return to Florida or another warm water beach somewhere I plan on picking up a sail boat and learning as much as I can. I guess that's why I'm here is to learn more. I'am currently serving my second tour in Afghanistan. I'm with the 501st Airborne Unit. I'm saving up so my wife and I can enjoy some things when and I get back. I would like to learn terms and which boat would be good for a starter. I was thinking of an O'day something that would sleep two-three people and I could take out on a nice weekend for fun. I have nothing but time for the next few months and would like to soak up as much information as I could. Thanks everyone.

P.S.
I will name my boat the day dreamer once
I find her. This is what keeps me going here lol.
scuba steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 08:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Soldier with a Daydream

Hi Steve and welcome,

I guess from your handle you like diving as well as sailing. It's a good combination.

Lots and lots of options for boats to buy. I would suggest finding a way to spend a little time on a boat before making a major investment. If that doesn't seem practical then look for a cheap starter boat to learn on. One thing that is almost certain, as you learn more about boats and sailing your opinion will change.

Stay safe in Afghanistan.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 10:41   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Welcome scuba steve.

All your answers are here though some will conflict and confound you.

Take your time working backward in the threads.
Old 21-01-2012, 10:50   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard
Thanks for your service. Lots of former military members here who have had your same dreams and now are living them.
There are nearly as many choices in boats as there are in cars so its hard to say what might suit your needs and its best to take a sailing class before deciding on what boat would be the best. For what you mentioned I had a Catalina 22 many years ago that slept 3 easily if one was small and was good for weekends or short vacations on the water.
kind regards,
Old 21-01-2012, 12:10   #5

Boat: Haida 26

Welcome to CF, I too was where you are, except was Viet Namm. I got my first boat when I returned home. Was my way to leave the culture of the era. Been sailing ever since. Read every thing you can, the rest will follow. It's great that your wife wants the same life. Your're already mile ahead of me in this life. Thanks for your service, we do care..Michael..

If I can help in anyway, just shout.....
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 12:13   #6

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum scuba steve. Lots of people to help you with good information here. I have done a lot of sailing in Alaska, it isn't so bad.
Old 22-01-2012, 05:01   #7

Thanks everyone! I get on here when I have some time here and there. We do have a time limit on the computers though. I do want to look into a sailing class but I will have to when I figure out where I'm headed after Alaska. I have my fingers crossed for a place in Florida or near some water. I have been looking at craigslist and such for decent little starter boats. Guess like you said SkprJohn it will be like finding the right car, but I'm sure I will figure it out. I've always said the best way to find out about something is to just jump into it but that's just me. Thank you for your service Rubyjean glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has this mind set. I've talked to fellow soldiers here to see if anyone knows anything about sailing and none do. I know I love being on the water back home. My dad has owned more boats than I could count but he never liked sailboats ever. I'm sure that with some of my spare time looking around here and asking questions I will at least not be so in the dark on the subject. Captain58sailin it is just too cold for me up there. Love it in the summer but still cold year round lol. Well everyone have a good day thanks for the replies and information. I will be saving up and daydreaming until I get home.
Old 22-01-2012, 05:37   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Scuba Steve welcome to CF! I definitely understand how dreams like this keep you going when you are deployed. I spent a year in Iraq with the 1-502 as a Civil Affairs guy. After a day on patrol and making the rounds it is nice to sit down and do a little dreaming about sailing and cruising.

Today I am living the dream aboard my boat. I am still in the military but will cast off permanently in a few years.

Keep the dream going and you will be living it before you know it. Stay safe and return soon. PM me your address if you would like some magazines on sailing and crusing sent your way.

Jacob
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 07:15   #9

It's too cold for me too. I just don't know when to quit. Trying to move south myself.
Old 22-01-2012, 08:10   #10

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I have my fingers crossed for a place in Florida or near some water.
I was hoping to get stationed near a coast to get going on sailing myself. I'm in Germany right now and soon going to Tenn. I'd rather get to FL too or anywhere near the Gulf coast.

Good luck to you. There's lots of info here on the forums, take your time searching.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 08:37   #11

Thanks Jacob I might have to take you up on. It would be nice to escape this place sometimes in the world and info of sailing. Thanks for your service to this country. Deployments are never easy on anyone. That is cool that you are living your dream now someday I know I will get to that point. And Captain58 you have to get to Florida can't beat the Gulf Coast. Dan my sister and brother-in-law are stationed in Germany. What base are you at? My brother was in Korea for a bit now he is in GA and I got the short stick with Alaska. Only because I hate being cold. Thanks everyone for being so helpful and nice. I will keep everyone posted once I get back state side and get my roots planted and start searching for a boat.
Old 24-01-2012, 03:04   #12

Thanks, I used to run charters for a couple of winters out of Cortez, Bradenton beach area. Nice place.