Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 18:01   #1

So What Does "In Anger" Mean?

Hi folks,

Sorry for the delayed intro. Never know what to say.

Longtime canoeist, motorcyclist, dad, grandfather, RVN vet, some power boating off, and on. Nothing bigger than a 34ft CC. Just sold my 20 ft SeaRay CC. The cookie jar is getting fuller.

Plan to find some areas along the east coast to walk the docks, looking at as many boats as possible, maybe find some crewing for short stints if I can find anyone that will take me on at age 66. Decent heath, but as always could be better. I hate working out, but I do it.

I am lusting after a few beauties that look real good on paper, hopefully they will be even better in person. We shall see.

I am a sentimental old fool when it comes to my dogs. Got three, two are coming into their last days. My wife died 12-24-08, and can't afford a full time dog/house sitter, but I have a gal that comes by for a hour or so three times a day. They don't need to be crated, so that helps my pangs of guilt. So I can't sail off into the sunset just yet. In the mean while I can putter along as best as the situation allows. I can handle about a week away from them. So I will make the best use of time as possible. I plan to bring Maggie, my now 3 year old border collie along after I get a boat. Learn as much as I can, where I can about the reality of sailing in the mean time. Hopefully from sailors that truly love it, and enjoy it.

Although I haven't been on a sailboat in to many years, it certainly has imprinted my heart, and soul. Will have to wait and see what the mind, and body think now. I fully expect to be someone that may not sail around the world, but zeehag's saying under her avatar points me in a good direction for a old hopefully adjusted type A. Just head out, south probably, and allow for that glitch.

So hello CF. I have learned much, and I am sure I have much more, and will learn much more here. If you want to swap lies about wilderness canoeing up in the NWT, motorcycles, or how to deal with a river that has a 5 to 6 kt southerly current, and a pretty constant 5 to 6 kt wind out of the SW. Did you know that you can heave to in a canoe...lol...

Mostly a good bunch here. If I come off as brusk at times, it's mostly because my sometimes stiff fingers encourage slow, and lazy ass typing,
but sometimes I just get PO'd.

If I get a Hunter, you can bet that Don L will be the only one to ever know...lol...

Thanks for letting me be part of CF.

P.S. Does "In Anger" mean, holy cow batman we be in deep doo doo now ?
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SO WHAT DOES "IN ANGER" MEAN ?

'Your Pissed Off'.... UK colloquium...
Nothing wrong with Hunters... great boats if you know how to work em and can navigate with paper charts, compass plus speed and depth log.
Welcome to CF... eventually

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:30   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: SO WHAT DOES "IN ANGER" MEAN ?

lol goood one....welcome to cf..is good to have another soul who understands bad handosis.

i sail with my gato. he does well.....mebbe one or two of your goggies could sail with ye?? i watched a lady take her 2 goggies to beach on a kayak....was entertaining...was unprotected anchorage--so is do able....

dont worry too much about in anger--that just means procrastinate.

happy sails.

oh yeah--and i cruise a formosa, so what do i know, anyway...rodlmao
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
'Your Pissed Off' only most, but not all the time... lol... UK colloquium...UK basketball fan huh, my wife was a UK grad....;>)) University Of Kentucky that is.Small world is it not .
Nothing wrong with Hunters... great boats if you know how to work em and can navigate with paper charts, compass plus speed and depth log. the "lol" means I was joking, and/or teasing. I wouldn't know a Hunter if I saw one, well unless it was a human carrying a gun, and wearing a orange vest.
Welcome to CF... eventually
Thanks, I think...
Old 01-08-2013, 18:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Thanks, I think...
Therefore you are....
On CF that is...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 01-08-2013, 19:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Andrew,

66 doesn't sound too old to me but then I'm knocking on that door myself.

The term "in anger" usually means for real instead of just testing or playing.

If I said, "boatman61 bought a heavy duty storm sail last year and has tested it out on a calm day but never used it in anger", it means he has never used it in a real storm.

Since we all know boatman only goes daysailing on little lakes on nice summer afternoons he will likely never use a storm sail in anger.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 19:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Andrew,

If I said, "boatman61 bought a heavy duty storm sail last year and has tested it out on a calm day but never used it in anger", it means he has never used it in a real storm.

Since we all know boatman only goes daysailing on little lakes on nice summer afternoons he will likely never use a storm sail in anger.
That's why I'm 'Pissed Off'... wasted good beer money...

Old 01-08-2013, 19:44   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's why I'm 'Pissed Off'... wasted good beer money...
If you were "over here" bet you could trade that sail for at least one cold, fizzy American beer, maybe two. It's valuable stuff you know and we don't hand it out to just any old visitor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 19:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If you were "over here" bet you could trade that sail for at least one cold, fizzy American beer, maybe two. It's valuable stuff you know and we don't hand it out to just any old visitor.
Only if its Yuengling.... you can keep the 'Gnats piss'...

Old 01-08-2013, 21:14   #10

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
We would never think of sailing without our dog, and she would howl in sadness like a coyote if we ever left her on shore. They'll sail to the ends of the earth with you.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 21:54   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We and others on here sail with dogs aboard. Works out well us and for them to ! they run all the way to the boat when ever they get ashore! the boat is home for them cus we are there ! Ya never know, but we have had dogs aboard ever since the kids were all gone LOL (much easier to get to mind then 3 teen girls LOL) The heinz 57 pups we have now have been sailing all there lives, all 4 of them ! With a little training they are really no problem at all. just our 2 cents
Old 02-08-2013, 04:35   #12

Hi skipmac,

Yeah I was PM'd that if I wanted to learn to be a really great fair weather sailor I could do no better than boatman. I know he likes Yeungling, so as soon as I pry his address out of the NSA I am having a case sent to him every week. Adding a keg of Old Curmudgeon too. Fair weather sailors get all the girls, and live longer too. At least that's what I read on the internet, so it must be true.

And thanks for the "In Anger" info. I thought it was more of a attitude thing. More like one feels when you have to go bail one of your buds out of jail in the middle of a rain storm at 3 AM, have a flat tire and get soaked to the bone cause all you got on is your pj's. And can't even buy coffee, and a donut cause you need all your money to bail your butthead bud out. I was afraid I was going to have to get the Dr. to up my BP meds, and Valium too. Dodged that bullet.

I believe I will forgo the 'storm sail' as my policy is storms are only good for one thing, and it ain't sailing. I need the money to buy boaty beer, and surely don't want to stay pissed off cause I ain't using that storm sail. Maybe we can dye boaties storm sail yellow with black poke-a-dots, then put the great videos we would surely get of all the new friends he makes cause he ain't pissed off any longer on utube...lol...

I want to try sailing, so I ordered the biggest try sail I could find. Wait till you see the mural I plan to paint on it...;>))

A.
Quote:
Hi Andrew,

Old 02-08-2013, 04:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
We would never think of sailing without our dog, and she would howl in sadness like a coyote if we ever left her on shore. They'll sail to the ends of the earth with you.
Mine are pretty good being left to themselves, at least for a few hours. Can't have throw rugs though cause the over size Shelltie eats them, and have to cover the sofa, cause Maggie believes it's hers when I leave. Never attempts to get on it when I am home though. I remember, and miss every dog I have had. Cats are okay, I guess, but dogs are more fun.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:06   #14

I have three sons. You'll get no sympathy from me about those 'teen years'. lol...You had to worry about what the boys might do to your girls. I had to worry about what the parents of those girls were going to do to me ! They were all in high school at the same time for two years. I seriously considered joining a convent, or becoming a Tibetan Monk. Whichever one I could get in the fastest.

Four ! Ain't anyone can say you don't love dogs. I might try going with my three, but the Shelltie is having problems getting around. The meds help, but I can tell that sometimes it hurts him pretty bad when he walks. I adopted a six year old pit out of a dog fighting ring down in TN about four years back. A real sweet dog, but wilder than a march hare. He's like a bull in a china shop as they say. Loves riding in the p/u with me though.

Thanks for the encouragement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
We and others on here sail with dogs aboard. Works out well us and for them to ! they run all the way to the boat when ever they get ashore! the boat is home for them cus we are there ! Ya never know, but we have had dogs aboard ever since the kids were all gone LOL (much easier to get to mind then 3 teen girls LOL) The heinz 57 pups we have now have been sailing all there lives, all 4 of them ! With a little training they are really no problem at all. just our 2 cents
Old 02-08-2013, 05:50   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post

I believe I will forgo the 'storm sail' as my policy is storms are only good for one thing, and it ain't sailing. I need the money to buy boaty beer, and surely don't want to stay pissed off cause I ain't using that storm sail. Maybe we can dye boaties storm sail yellow with black poke-a-dots, then put the great videos we would surely get of all the new friends he makes cause he ain't pissed off any longer on utube...lol...
A.
Already yellow Andrew.... skipped the polka dots though... enough 'floaters' so I've mobile dots on the sail... much more fun...
Yuenglings a 'GO' tho...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img044.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	64992   Click image for larger version

Name:	img045.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	64993