Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 17:30   #61

Boat: in between boats
Re: So - Pocket Yachtsmen - UNITE ! (How many of us are there?)

Ok, where are the Macgregor C sailors. Don't be shy, we all know the Mac takes its share of abuse and malignment and keeps saiing along, often right up to the beach.
I have had several sailboats, spent two years cruising Mex with wife on a Tartan 30. Sold it and bought a Columbia 45, kind of sorry I sold that one. I started sailing on Lake Tahoe in a 24' Windrose, built by Balboa Yachts, that is some of best times sailing I can remember, the two summers on Lake Tahoe. Currently I am biding my time in Wichita KS on a decent job, building the BR, with insurance benefits, allowing the wife to enjoy the illusion of security. I have researched lotsa boats, I love the Catalina 25 swing keel, but I am 6'1, average build, the wifey is 5"4 and small, and there is no berth that would be comfortable for me and the wifey to enjoy together, or just sleep together. The queen size berth under the cockpit of the Mac sure looks appealing, along with it's light trailer weight and ease of launch. If I am going to get my sailing fix and be able to spend weekends or longer on the water in these inland lakes and protected waters, the Macgregor 26 S seems to appeal to me alot. Going to look at one in Council Bluffs Iowa in two weeks, a 1995 26S, I will probably have a very difficult time not bringing it home with me. So don't be shy about sharing your feelings about the Macgregor C, I would especially appreciate the opinions of current and past owners. No need to share with me what you have gleened off web on these boats, I've already been there. The other thing I like about them is they seem to hold their value, are very affordable, and the classic Macs are no longer made, so they are getting harder and harder to find, in decent condition. Don't worry, I have no inclination of any ocean passages, maybe bounce through the Florida Keys, I am not stupid, well, maybe a little, more like a touch crazy though.
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 18:00   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Ok, where are the Macgregor C sailors. Don't be shy, we all know the Mac takes its share of abuse and malignment and keeps saiing along, often right up to the beach.

<snip>

I have researched lotsa boats, I love the Catalina 25 swing keel, but I am 6'1, average build, the wifey is 5"4 and small, and there is no berth that would be comfortable for me and the wifey to enjoy together, or just sleep together. The queen size berth under the cockpit of the Mac sure looks appealing, along with it's light trailer weight and ease of launch.
I have no axe to grind with the Mac but in club races we always kick their butt. It would simply be too frustrating to sail that boat for me. Sinking issues aside...

My S-I-L is a bigger girl. Last cruise we gave her and my brother the v berth. After the first night we swapped. Maneuverability in the low overhead v-berth was an issue as well as "climbing up."

They took the aft berth and she was much happier. Still had low over head except the small space by the door but much easier to get in and out.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 18:11   #63

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Like others have mentioned about their boat, mine is not really a "trailer sailer" but I guess could be considered a Pocket cruiser.

1981 Nor'sea 27. Pretty good shape. I haven't had her in the water yet but getting a slip reserved now. Previous Owners have sailed her in Dana Point, CA and Corpus Christie, TX

Pictures/video in my blog listed in signature below.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 15:46   #64

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser

Hmmm, there's a few more of us than I expected. Maybe we should all figure out a "Sail-In" down in the 10,000 Islands this winter, or something. Possibly we could invade Florida Bay with a bunch of gunkholing trailer-sailors.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57   #65

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
Hmmm, there's a few more of us than I expected.
I said we would need out own forum section for Pocket Cruisers!

Maybe the powers that be will grant us one?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:10   #66

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I have no axe to grind with the Mac but in club races we always kick their butt. It would simply be too frustrating to sail that boat for me. Sinking issues aside...
Thats funny cause when I raced against them in the venture Yacht club in San Diego, they'd kick mine . their 22 foot water line just edged out my 18.5" on the same tack in the same wind.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 15:13   #67

Boat: Columbia 24

Hi, I'm currently refurbishing a Columbia 24 at Pineda Point in Melbourne Florida. Preparing to do some cruising around the Keys.
-Chris
Eumelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 15:22   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: So - Pocket Yachtsmen - UNITE ! (How many of us are there?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumelia View Post
Hi, I'm currently refurbishing a Columbia 24 at Pineda Point in Melbourne Florida. Preparing to do some cruising around the Keys.
-Chris
Hi Chris... Welcome to CF..
Guess I'd better chime in as my Corribee 21 can be trailed... but I bought her in the UK and it was cheaper and more fun to sail her to Portugal than trail her down through France and Spain...
So no trailer... it paid for the trip...
But I do get to play in the big boats from time to time..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 15:52   #69

Boat: Paceship PY23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumelia View Post
-Chris
Hi Chris,
I have a Paceship PY23, I too am at Pineda Point. Maybe see you there one day.

Phil
p_everette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 05:08   #70

Boat: Columbia 24

Phil, I'll keep an eye out for ya.
Eumelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:51   #71

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: So - Pocket Yachtsmen - UNITE ! (How many of us are there?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelnik View Post
I said we would need out own forum section for Pocket Cruisers!
And how about ... men only! What do the Mermaids think about that?

Trailer launchable is too tight a definition. My use-to-be Cal 25 draws 4'. It's on a bigass car trailer but I won't be backing it down the ramp. But definitely what I consider a pocket cruiser: Everything you need, nothing you don't. A sister boat went RTW.

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:49   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Trailer launchable is too tight a definition. My use-to-be Cal 25 draws 4'. It's on a bigass car trailer but I won't be backing it down the ramp. But definitely what I consider a pocket cruiser: Everything you need, nothing you don't. A sister boat went RTW.
ANY boat is 'trailerable' if you have a big enough trailer. Heck the Saturn V rocket was trailerable... and any boat is 'launchable' given a big enough ramp... or a friend with a crane...

If 'trailer' is part of the definition, I would say the operative concept is trailer-sailing, where the ease of towing and launching the boat is a key factor.

In six years we have towed our small boat up to 300 miles away from home port, and sailed on three Great Lakes, and several smaller but still great lakes . This is huge, low-cost fun, especially if you can do this in the company of other trailer-sailors.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 16:16   #73

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I would love to hear about some of the longer cruises taken by trailer-sailers.

The Bahamas is relatively easy, and I hope we get to do that many times again. But I also think about trips like circumnavigating Newfoundland, or taking the thornless path to the eastern Caribbean, or getting to the Sea of Cortez (more of a trailering challenge from New York than a sailing challenge), or spending a long summer on the Inside Passage up to Alaska. At times it occurs to me that we could trailer to, say, Belize. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 18:27   #74

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
ANY boat is 'trailerable' if you have a big enough trailer. Heck the Saturn V rocket was trailerable... and any boat is 'launchable' given a big enough ramp... or a friend with a crane...
Why, thank you captain. I just hadn't looked at it that way.

This might be helpful for real trailer-sailors, rather than pocket yacht folks: Trailer Sailor Discussion Forum - Message Index
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:57   #75

Boat: Balboa 27

I might as well join the parade:

I sail a Balboa 27 in the sea of Cortez. She was trailered down from Colorado by the previous owner, but I've only towed her the mile or so from dry storage to the ramp.

I like to anchor out a lot more than staying at Marinas, so I've upgraded Harmony to be self-contained for up to a month at a time. I carry 60 gallons of water, 50 gallons of fuel, and have 160 watts of solar. With her 2' draft (board up) I've been able to tuck in close and ride out storms that tore bigger boats off their moorings.

Steve
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote