Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-08-2012, 12:13   #46

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: So - Pocket Yachtsmen - UNITE ! (How many of us are there?)

We have a trailer-sailer, though it's 31 feet, so not sure if we meet the "pocket" cutoff. Feels big out in the yard, but tiny in most cruising anchorages. We've had it all up and down the US east coast -- Maine and Cape Cod are our favorites. Also took it to the Exumas for two months a couple of winters ago. It's easy to trailer, sets up for sail in about 15 minutes; mainmast in a tabernacle, water ballast, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cormorant_on_trailer.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	45739  

Old 29-08-2012, 12:38   #47

Boat: OEM, proportional

Ooooo....nice boat, Coops, and nice pics! (Which gets more use...Sunmaid or Navigator?)

Cormorant...also a beauty. Is that a Sharpie? Balance lug too, though on the trailer there's no mizzen...how is the balance?

Old 29-08-2012, 12:56   #48

Boat: Celestial 48

My last boat was a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24. I would class as a pocket cruiser. Although I transported by trailer, I would not call it a trailer sailer. Took a minimum of a day to launch and rig. I was working as a professional ski patroller at the time, so had 6 months a year to use the boat.

Ended up now with a larger boat with goal of it being our year-round home. Oftem miss the simplicity of the Dana.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	In Sea of Cortez 600x800.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	45740   Click image for larger version

Name:	On trailer 800x600.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	45741  

Old 29-08-2012, 12:57   #49

Boat: Seaward 22

I have a 1985 Seaward 22.

Old 29-08-2012, 13:07   #50

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Does it count if I very seriously considered getting a Cal20 and heading out for Hawai'i?

Before the munchkins came along, of course.
Get a copy pf Black Feathers, A pocket racer sails the Singlehanded Trans Pac. He sailed a Cal20 to Hawaii.
Old 29-08-2012, 15:55   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant
We have a trailer-sailer, though it's 31 feet, so not sure if we meet the "pocket" cutoff. Feels big out in the yard, but tiny in most cruising anchorages. We've had it all up and down the US east coast -- Maine and Cape Cod are our favorites. Also took it to the Exumas for two months a couple of winters ago. It's easy to trailer, sets up for sail in about 15 minutes; mainmast in a tabernacle, water ballast, etc.
She's BEAUTIFUL!!! So jealous.
Old 29-08-2012, 16:29   #52

Boat: Maxum 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
We have a trailer-sailer, though it's 31 feet, so not sure if we meet the "pocket" cutoff. .

If it's road legal and ramp launchable it counts.
Old 30-08-2012, 06:29   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Cormorant...also a beauty. Is that a Sharpie? Balance lug too, though on the trailer there's no mizzen...how is the balance?
I think it would be classified as a "modified sharpie" -- i.e. flat bottom with angled bilge panels and then plumb sides, rather than the classic sharpie with flat bottom, hard chines, and flared sides.

The great thing about it is its beachability -- just sail right up and let the tide go out. It sits upright till the tide returns and floats her off again. Handy for anchoring in shallows, too -- sometimes we'll ground out during the night, sleep right through and be floating again the next morning.

If you look closely in the trailer photo you'll see the mizzen hiding back there. . . . On most points of sail you can tweak the set of the main and the mizzen till the boat steers herself. It's a lot of fun.

I also finally got the kick-up rudder right (after about 6 years). I made a good NACA0012 foil and devised a line leading from the upper leading edge to a pressure release clam cleat on the tiller to haul it in tight under the stern so it's perfectly balanced, doesn't hinge out in big wallowing seas, but will still pop up when we hit the shallows.

This boat has been pure joy for our family of four.
Old 30-08-2012, 06:45   #54

Thanks for the info....hmmm, I must be blind, not spotting the mizzen.

The yard and boom look like they are curved. Was that intentional, is it sail tension, or have they taken a set? What are they made of, and how heavy are they? Also, how have you set up the sheet? Sry for my curiosity...
Old 30-08-2012, 07:04   #55

The yard and boom are built straight but do flex a bit under sail tension. They are specified on Jim Michalak's plans as 2 1/4" round (three laminations of 1x4 lumber). I just used lumberyard pine, though I paid a bit extra to get the less knotty grade, D-Select.

The boom has been fine, but a few years ago (after that trailer photo was taken) I broke the yard while sailing in fairly strong winds. I replaced it with a hollow birdsmouth 3" diameter spar made of Douglas fir. That doesn't even flex. The boom is fairly light -- no guess in pounds, but it's easily handled.

The new yard is heavier, and presents a serious hazard when the sail is lowered, as the peak of the yard drops down first and flogs around if it's windy. I usually lower sail by just getting up on the cabintop and pulling down on the luff of the sail as I lower the halyard, to keep the yard in control. I've thought about various lazyjack or other control line possibilities that will let me safely lower sail from the cockpit, but haven't implemented anything yet. What we have now works fine for 98% of our sailing days. . . .

The mainsheet attaches to a swivel block cam cleat attached on deck in the cockpit, and runs out through a block on the end of the boom. This is a bit awkward sometimes, especially when running downwind, as the sheet will lay against the forward cockpit seating and anyone who happens to be there. We're all just used to it now, and everyone knows where not to sit depending on our point of sail. We have the swivel block cam cleat on a snap shackle so that when we're anchored we can easily move the whole apparatus and its coil of line off to the side, and the cockpit floor is clear for walking about.
Old 30-08-2012, 07:21   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I have a 1985 Seaward 22.

Love the at sail pics...so pretty!
Old 30-08-2012, 07:38   #57

Cormorant.....thanks very much for the detailed info. Sry, another question....

How does the boat handle now, with stiffer spars? From my reading, I hear that the stiff mast/flexing spars combo is good to depower the sail in gusts.
Old 30-08-2012, 07:55   #58

Not sure how much the stiffer yard effects us. . . . The mast flex of the yard ideally may help get the proper sail shape, too -- but we don't seem to suffer from that much, either. It's possible that the new yard does flex a bit but not as noticeably as the old one. (?)

Usually I just try to be quick with sheet handling, spilling wind before we get knocked around. So far it has all worked fine. We reef somewhere between 15 and 20 knots of wind. Have had it out double-reefed in 25 knots gusting to 35, and it all worked well. The hull is light, too, so in big waves it tends to bob up and over rather than bashing into and through.
Old 30-08-2012, 09:03   #59

Thanks again! I read a blog recently from some folks that regularly cruise the Caribbean in a 15' sharpie (Microcruiser I think it's called). Wonderful how they get around in their little boat, and how well they do in rough weather. An underestimated design. Very inspiring!
Old 01-09-2012, 17:23   #60

Boat: O'Day 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
WOW, 3000miles on an O'day 25. definately an achievement
I think the leg from Cabo to Hilo was 2600, with Oahu to SF being 3000. All told a little over 9000nm between December '11 through July '12 going SF/Sea of Cortez/Hawaii/SF. I'm back in the Bay now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: