Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 15:07   #1

Boat: Knysna 440
So I'm new around here...

I was surfing the Amazon book site looking for some swing trading books, and somehow ran across a lil book called Live on the Margin. Although probably not the best trading guide ever, the ideas and philosophies in this book totally threw me for a loop. I was engaged from chapter one, but by the time I got to chapter seven I was literally in tears. What the authors were saying spoke so profoundly to me - they were talking about the very thing I had been wanting for years. And they were explaining how I could get it, and do it now, not 25 years from now.

So then I started thinking about sailing, and how much I love the ocean. Started reading up on it. I haven't been out in the big water since I went deep sea fishing in Alaska. Its been a few years. But I know I love boats, and I love white sand beaches, and spending a few months in Mazatlan doesn't sound so bad either.

Before I go all crazy and buy a boat (its going to take me 2 years of savings anyway), don't worry, I plan to take a few sailing classes, charter a boat, and get some time on the water before I decide that this is the exact adventure for me.

Then last night I remembered something. My Dad always wanted a sailboat, and he never was able to buy one. There were always other things going on. But he was adventurous guy (that's how I ended up being born/raised in Alaska). We went skiing, spent lots of time on the Kenai river salmon fishing, hiking, camping, and he had a keen interest in planes and sailboats. But like I said, life always got in the way. He died nine years ago. He was cremated and asked that his remains be sprinkled in the Gulf of Mexico. My Mom still has him in a cardboard box in the closet. Disgraceful. When I launch on my first sail, on my own boat, I'm taking him out there with me and I'm going to fulfill one of his last wishes, knowing that he would be so proud of me for seeking out my dreams.

So anyway, its nice to meet you all. I've already read a ton of threads, and I'll be reading many more while I'm in savings overdrive. And with a bit of luck, I'll be reading this from some white sand beach in a couple of years.
Lonestaralaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 15:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: So I'm new around here...

Hi.. Welcome to CF mate..
Good luck with the dream... and your Dad's sprinkling..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 11:34   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: So I'm new around here...

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Old 26-09-2013, 12:13   #4
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31
Re: So I'm new around here...

Not sure what swing trading is, but I'm sure sailing is more fun.

About 5 years ago my good friend had a 2 year plan for getting rich and buying a boat. He didn't get rich but he did buy a boat, although a somewhat smaller and older boat than he had planned. All the same, we have had a blast sailing it.

Good on you for honoring your dad!
Old 26-09-2013, 12:22   #5

My dad is still in the cardboard box (at my moms) waiting to be sprinkled when we cross the equator. Some how I don't think he minds the wait as long as I realize my dreams! Good fortune to u!
Bashleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 13:41   #6

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Not sure what swing trading is
Live on the Margin was written by Mr. Bumfuzzle, I can't remember his real name. I guess it worked for him.

BTW Lonestaralaskan, welcome aboard!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote