Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 20:16   #16

I'm a truck driver

So while 7k plus for fuel to Puerto Vallarta may not seem like a lot to some of you, to me it represents several months of hard work.
JoseJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 00:05   #17

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: So I Just Bought this Huge Boat . . .

My 2 cents... Make it Water tight, make it seaworthy, make it mechanically sound and make it safe. Then get it on the water as fast as possible -meaning- so you can actually use it. Things like stoves, matresses, varnishing, carpet, electronics and general luxuries/asthetics can be added much later. Oh and do "one" job as a time. Dont rip out everything inside and try to start it all again. That makes the job too big.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 23:35   #18

Well, a year has come and gone and things haven't gotten better for me financially. At least not the way they used to when I worked the fair circuit and made middle class money on a pauper's education - so I have decided to sell the boat. I could go back to doing fairs, malls, exhibitions and whatnot, but after 15 years the travel part of it gets really old - life in the summer is one big blur. Other dreams will come because that's what I basically have for collateral. My current dream is to make enough to buy a small house somewhere on an isolated part of the coast. With electricity sure, and internet; but far enough away from towns or cities that they would only be a problem if one went there. Would like to say far enough away from the government that one wouldn't have to worry about them either, but they have their beak in every nook and cranny so that is impossible.

If anyone is interested the boat is advertised on Kiji and other places. Here is the URL:
75 foot ex navy training boat - perfect dive boat or live aboard - Nanaimo Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji Nanaimo Canada.
JoseJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 01:36   #19

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseJoe View Post
Hi everybody,
First let me say that I know next to nothing about boats. Used to be a deckhand on a couple of fish boats when I was kid, and have since moved inland to Northeastern British Columbia.

Anyway, was peacefully cruising around the net minding my own business when what should I see but a government auction of 75 foot wooden navy training vessels. The price was ranging from a couple of grand up to 16k. So I though, 'Well, I'm not really interested, but if they are giving them away...'
So I lowballed the bid and somebody else won the boat. Imagine my sruprise a few days later when the winner dropped out for whatever reason and the government emailed to say, 'Congratulations! You are the new owner of an ex navy vessel. You have 6 weeks to get it off CFB Esquimalt (the navy base in Victoria)' To be fair they were extremely helpful within the regs they had to abide by.

Now, they couldn't allow anyone to go on the base and work on the engines and couldn't allow anyone to just fire it up and drive away, so I had to get it towed (which is very expensive) and as there was a shipyard just a kilometer away I had it towed there and got the bottom and upper hull fixed, caulked and painted. 14k - now I was beginning to understand why nobody was bidding on those boats! Then I got someone to pilot it from Victoria to Nanaimo where I had a place reserved to park it. But he pooched the landing and hit the dock going in and I had to redirect him to anchorage on an island where my sister knows people who were kind enough to let me put it on their mooring buoy short time. Then I got in touch with a mechanic on the island and he wanted 400 a day to look at the boat and see what needed to be done. So I said no, and started looking around for dock space, which I believe I have finally found, complete with someone to live aboard in case they have to alert the marina if something goes wrong - like water starts coming in. Just getting that organized took weeks.

Good so far, but I can see that using anyone locally in BC is going to cost thousands and thousands to get the deck and superstructure sanded and painted, which brings me to the reason I joined this forum: I was thinking of putting a few grand into fuel and moving it down to Mexico in search of cheaper labor. Anyone here had any experience with doing that? As the hull is done it shouldn't have to be taken out of the water; just need people to work on the deck etc. I was thinking of Puerto Vallarta as I have been there on holidays a couple of times and found it relaxed and fairly safe.

Plan B, after it is fixed up for living, is to rent it out to tourists. Not to go cruising or fishing but just as a place to stay. It has two huge cabins separated by the engine room - one forward and one aft. There are two heads, but only one shower and one galley. Could put in another shower but they would have to share the galley as it would be very expensive to put in another one. Could easily put a barbecue on the after deck though. So the second question is: Does anyone here have any experience with doing that? I imagine there have been lots of people who went to Mexico and had to return home who wanted to rent out their boats like that. Would it be fairly easy to deal with the government down there? Or just not a viable idea?

I did meet some Canadians down there who started their own business so would be able to get someone to look after the details for a price - it is only getting along with the government I am worried about. This would be a strictly legitimate operation - no time or inclination to do anything illegal.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Joe.
Welcome to Cruisers Forum; and most importantly, welcome to your new expensive hobby! Just a few tips...

1. Always get a written contract before any work commences. Ensure the contract contains timeframes for project completion and language that protects you from the other party's failure to perform.

2. Make sure you have an opportunity to look at the previous work of anyone you hire. If they don't have pictures or hesitate to show you, run the other way.

3. As for references and check them.

Hope this helps!
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote