Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 11:22   #1

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27
Small Cruiser On A Big Bay

I guess after about 25 posts it's time to introduce myself.

I'm Tom, and I live in Apalachicola, North Florida. I do a lot of short cruises and an occasional longer one. I have trimmed my dreams to fit my realities, sad in some ways but very liberating in other ways.

Having played about in boats for over half a century, I have more than a few opinions. I don't mind sharing them, and I love a good sea story. I like small boats, and try to keep it simple.

I have worked on fishing boats, research vessels, Navy vessels, oil field boats, deliveries, blue water ships, and commercial sail, as captain and as crew. Pleasure sailing has always been my main interest. As a result, my experience is spotty, deep in some fields and shallow in others. I like old, small, gas engines, and am now playing with diesels. I love the CF technical forums! I find theorizing over demon rum pleasant as well.

I love reading the heavy hitters here on CF, and learning from their experiences. The squabbles are entertaining too, but I prefer watching them to joining in. I am glad to help anyone in any way I can. I am fairly familiar with local waters, and am often ready to crew to or from St Pete on the 185 mile gap in the ICW now giving away what I used to sell for a couple of hundred per day.

When I was working, we would run in and out of ports, never spending as much time as I would have liked. s\Sometime, we came so close to land I could even smell the smell of food, the jungle, and exotic living wafting out on the breeze....................but we kept going. I now have time to stop and enjoy those places as long as I wish.

I look forward to getting to know some of the CF members. Until we come close on the water, I look forward to seeing you on the Forums. I hope you will come to looking forward to my postings as well. Tom
Old 11-10-2013, 11:30   #2

Boat: Ross 780
I for one would love to hear about your experiences, especially if the writing is rum-inspired :-)

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Small Cruiser On A Big Bay

nice post......and so true,life is about the journey,not nessacarily getting there!

i have just as much fun cruising around the bay on my 26footer,as changing continents on my other boats........people,places and things are what make the world go round,be positive and positive things will come to you
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:24   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
You definitely are with like minded folks.
Old 11-10-2013, 13:49   #5

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Hello Tom... Goodness, what a nice surprise to see the posting from a "neighbor" albeit one stretch of water away... it was great meeting you and Houseboat Jerry over in Apalach and seeing you at Fathoms as well. If you get a chance and go into Reel Memories, please give my regards to the ladies. It surely was nice to find books so close to the waterfront and at a price I could afford! Plus they let me use their street address for my solar panel delivery so I'll always have fond memories of them.

I'm hoping to see you before I head out of here and wish you the best with your Morgan. Come on over if you can -- but call first as the boat may be hauled for the engine exchange (the sooner the better!) so make sure I'm not busy, okay?

Take care, and good to see you Tom.

Janice and Skipper
Old 11-10-2013, 15:06   #6

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

Welcome! We stop in Apalachicola often it is one of our favorites! We usually stay at Scipio Creek Marina before or after making the jump across to Anclote Key or Tampa Bay
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 14:35   #7

I am up at Baytowne in Sandestin. Haven't been to Apalach yet, but figuring on doing it soon. What is the best way? The ditch or the Gulf? I have a 46' CMY. Heard that Scipio Creek is the best place there. What are some good pubs?
Chris in destin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser