Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 17:12   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Hi My boat is a Vancouver 27. It circumnavigated via panama and suez 1990 to 1993 and there were a few instances of very windy weather but survived better than bigger boats (40' dismasted).
I personally would not consider 60' way too big to manage, I recon 35' to 40' max for a couple or maybe singlehanded at a pinch, unless you are thinking of a cat then it has to be 40' minimum to be safe if you are crossing oceans, but then a cat is so (soooooooooooooooooo) much faster. My Vancouver 27 manages 100 miles a day, more in the right conditions.
You don't say what your 28 is but I say sail it whenever you can especially when bad weather is forcast, go sailing in force 7 & 8 you will learn reefing and how the boat responds to different wave patterns, it may be 'uncomfortable' but you will learn stuff and be prepered because you 'wen't out in that' and then later when you encounter bad weather for real you will be prepared.
Hove to.... make sure you learn how to do it before you actually need to do it.
I wish you the very best of luck, and please let us know what you are doing and how you get on. And what boat you decide to buy.
PS How do you get 'Given' a 28' boat?
Old 11-10-2009, 17:54   #17

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
pirate

Welcome as well.
I am a RN, plan on retiring in 10 years and know somewhat the difficulities you are now facing. But you have 6 years, so plenty of time.
First is learning. Places like this are good, but not the whole enchilada. You need to read a lot. I recomend many magazines including practical sailor, ocean navigator, cruising world, good old boat ect... for some good info on a number of topics.
Then there are the books. Steve Dashews books are a good place to start. He has expensive tastes, but for a doc... should be no problem.
Then there are many books that will help. I like what I have seen of Beth Lenords book, but haven't bought it. Modern cruising under sail by Dobbs is good too. Stay with somewhat current books as things have changed a lot in recent years.

If you indeed plan on single handing, Then yes, size does matter. But in the smaller sense. Speed alone is not everything. I think it is a mistake to focus on that alone.
Determine what your capabilities are. Then go looking. Look at a ton of boats that are for sale. There are many styles on interiors, exteriors, monohull, cat, tri, full keel, modified with skeg, fin, the list goes on. Choosing one over the other is not necessarily good or bad. But the choice you make you will have to live with. Or pay for it.
I think that 38-42 feet is a good size boat, but like a lot of things in life everyone has a opinion. There are a lot of well built well made boats out there in all price ranges, and more than a few that need to be on the no list.

Draft is important. In the pacific its not a issue as much I hear, but on the east coast, especially the Bahamas, its a issue. Like many things in life is about compromise.
This is a good place to start, just remember you get what you pay for.
When its close to time to purchase, find a good surveyor and broker and work with them. Plan on spending 15-100% more in getting the boat up to your standards
Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 18:30   #18

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Hi Doc,

From my research so far... anywhere in FLA will seem CHEAP compared to LA... on a 60' you would probably save $8-10k/yr on Personal Property Taxes alone! Not to mention lower cost marinas and no State Income Taxes...

Can't help on the saling questions but agree with the others that 60' seems ambitious unless you are taking a professional crew..

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 20:09   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
First time I was at the helm of a 65 footer the damn thing streached a mile in front of me.

After a while is seemed quite manageable, though there was always a crew on board. I've never single handed.

Set up for single handing as they can be these days then I reckon most of us here could quite easily run one and enjoy it*****

**** If someone else was paying the bills!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:22   #20

Thanks for all the great responses, this is a nice community

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. I'll provide some answers.

I am sailing a Newport 27.
I got it because the fellow sailing owning it is a 20 year long fiend of mine and he is 92 and too old to sail. But he loves identifying as a sailor. He pays 200 to dock fee and I pay 200 so that's 400 per month in MDR for a 27 footer.

I was a member of marina sailing and took out many 40 boats. I love the way a 40 footer handle, there great. Also, the yachts you get from marina sail are new and beautiful.

I just think something 60 feet, if it were the right boat, would be a pleasure to live on yet still be easily sailed. When I was in my early 20s I decided I wanted to live aboard. I research it then and something about 60 feet makes them very homelike inside.

I'm not stuck on this it's just that this is something I would rather shoot for, till I learn more.

So I'm getting from the general discussion, the 27 foot Newport is seaworthy but needs an electronics upgrade and solar should be considered. I should get radar, autopilot, depth detector and I want a fridge, TV, coffee maker, microwave, lap top PC with nav charts and a good gps.

Then increase my skills by learning from books and sailing in all kinds of weather. Learn to find the weathor report here in Los Angeles???

I bought a pile of books on boat electrical systems, navigation, seamanship from amazon.

I'm not actually sailing solo right now. This is a father and some project with my 12 year old so, saftey is paramount.

I went on my longest trip so far yesterday, 15 miles out and half way to Catalina Island, 2 x 12 year old boys, my son and his friend, a compass, a tiller, 6 subway sandwiches, 12 cookies, and the words to Barnacle Bill the Sailor.

They loved it.
DocSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:52   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSailor View Post
I went on my longest trip so far yesterday, 15 miles out and half way to Catalina Island, 2 x 12 year old boys, my son and his friend, a compass, a tiller, 6 subway sandwiches, 12 cookies, and the words to Barnacle Bill the Sailor.

They loved it.
May I assume that not one of the three-man crew tossed his cookies in the ocean?

TaoJones
Old 12-10-2009, 22:39   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
May I assume that not one of the three-man crew tossed his cookies in the ocean?

TaoJones
You can tell when a bloke packs lunch

A woman would have made a friggin salad and tap water

Sailors need real provisions!

Old 13-10-2009, 17:54   #23

One of the things we want to learn is if we enjoy sailing in all conditions including heavy sea's, of course a little at a time.

I purchased some books on it.

It was pretty rough in the afternoon Sunday and my son got a little queasy but I had him concentrate on the boat and his stomach settled down quickly.

Before long we we're surfing our way home.

I don't have a bimini or a dodger.

I'm trying to be as low tech as possible and I intend to sail in the rain so next purchase is slickers, are there any brands known for sailing in?
Old 13-10-2009, 21:17   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Look in the West Marine catalog for good rain gear and foulies. They have their own brand and Gill and Henri-Lloyd. I'd trade the electronics for a bimini and dodger. The West Marine foulies are pretty good but I'd opt for trousers with a zipper if I were to buy again. I have a Mustang float jacket and it is sized a bit smaller than most so if you get Mustang gear then order one larger.
Congratulations on your off shore excursion. Well done!
I crewed in races on a Newport 27. I liked the boat but it had a lot of blisters at haulout if I remember correctly.
regards,
Old 13-10-2009, 21:17   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSailor View Post
next purchase is slickers, are there any brands known for sailing in?
Yes. See if you can find a commercial fishermans chandelers and buy what the fishermen use

Cheaper and better

Old 13-10-2009, 23:06   #26

Retirement Plans

G'day...

Am in the same "boat" - except my early retirement date is Feb 2010.

Plans are to join the liveaboard community in the Mediterranean for as many years as possible.

Never had a boat of my own but have done a lot of weekend sailing over the past 6 years since first taking up sailing. (Oh how I wish I had done it all so much earlier).

Have had some extended (3 months) stints on yachts and loved the opportunity afforded to be able to do some really concentrated sailing - even lots of night hours!

Just completed a Yachtmaster fastrack. Have no allusions as to seeing myself as a 'yachtmaster' - just wanted to make sure I had the knowledge and skills to start my fulltime sailing life without being a danger to myself or others. I am just looking forward to putting what I have learned into practice.

Mark
markje4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 15:27   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markje4 View Post
G'day...

Am in the same "boat" - except my early retirement date is Feb 2010.

Plans are to join the liveaboard community in the Mediterranean for as many years as possible.

Never had a boat of my own but have done a lot of weekend sailing over the past 6 years since first taking up sailing. (Oh how I wish I had done it all so much earlier).

Have had some extended (3 months) stints on yachts and loved the opportunity afforded to be able to do some really concentrated sailing - even lots of night hours!

Just completed a Yachtmaster fastrack. Have no allusions as to seeing myself as a 'yachtmaster' - just wanted to make sure I had the knowledge and skills to start my fulltime sailing life without being a danger to myself or others. I am just looking forward to putting what I have learned into practice.

Mark
Have fun!
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 15:51   #28

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Live in Panama on the Caribbean side. Get a 50 ft boat.. Travel anywhere from nice dollar based economy in Panama.. Since you have family in Florida its good as they are 2 flying hours away from you. Just enough to avoid the late night knocking on your door. Close enough to be there fast in case of family problems. Good medical and out of hurricane belt. Good luck
Old 14-10-2009, 21:56   #29

Thanks for the advice. I think a bimini and dodger sounds like a good investment. I'll look into those brands of foul weather gear.

Panama sounds great. Some friends of mine from the Hospital were considering retiring in panama but the house prices were pretty high. What are dock fees like in Panama?

I've been to Costa Rica and loved it. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 15-10-2009, 06:52   #30

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames
Yes 60 ft is too big.. Consider a 45 ft. Fees in Panama are around 50 cents per ft per day on the long term. Bocas del Toro.. nice Marina 30% less. Not too many marinas. Bimini and Dodger a must for the rain and strong sun in Panama. Prices in Panama for housing have fallen dramatically. Lots of good buys now. Costa Rica nice place to visit but don't live there.

Tags
retirement