Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 13:13   #1

Boat: Beneteau 411
SF Sailor Introduction

Been reading CF for a while and finally decided to register and participate. Sailing a 1999 Beneteau 411 around SF Bay (mostly short or singlehanded) for the last year and can't wait for the upcoming season. I enjoy all the posts and see there is soooo much info available here.

Anxious to do some offshore cruising but don't feel quite ready yet, although wondering if I ever will feel ready. Thinking at some point I just need to get out there and go. The boat is set up pretty well for coastal cruising (stout rigging, radar, AIS, regular service, etc.). Concerned that I am not a hands on fix it guy (like all good sailors seem to be) that can fix anything that breaks at sea, but am comfortable at the helm in fairly high winds (20-25+ Kts). Less experience in the ocean.

I see lots of great postings from local sailors and I look forward to continuing to learn and practice.

Hope to see you out there!
Odyssea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 16:17   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: SF Sailor Introduction

Welcome to CF, Odyssea Come join us at the Singlehanded Sailing Society! There is a one time fee to enter all the races for the year including the Farallones and over-nighters to Half Moon Bay and Drakes Bay. The great thing is that you can learn from these great sailors and get offshore with others so you're not doing it alone. All our races except for the Three Bridge Fiasco and the second day of the Vallejo 1-2 are singlehand so you'll learn by doing in a supportive environment. It is competitive and yet it's not. Singlehanded sailors are not going to run you down or scream like some fully crewed yachts might do. We are there to help one another even those who consider themselves more cruisers than racers (like me). You'd just have to look at the NCORC rules to make sure your boat has all the necessary equipment to participate, but this stuff is generally good to have anyway whenever you venture off the coast. You will also need a PHRF certificate from YRA. Even if you don't join the SSS, please feel free to come to our monthly seminars that discuss preparations for a Pacific crossing for this year's Singlehanded TransPac.

Carliane
s/v Kynntana
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 16:30   #3

Welcome.

I thought the same thing, one time.

So, I made sure stuff was in order and then went.

I've done daysails out in the ocean, checking the currents at the Gate, getting sucked out, sailing for six hours and getting pushed back in, once with 45 minutes of dolphins cavorting.

Half Moon Bay is a great destination, not a long distance at all. Just wtach out for the crab traps.

Good luck, you'll enjoy it in addition to your Bay Days.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 17:36   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hey welcome! As someone who went out the Bay and turned left I'd say if you can go to Half Moon Bay why not just keep on going for another day and a half of surfing and come on down to the Channel Islands?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 20:34   #5

Thanks for your replies everyone. I really appreciate it.

Gamayun; Thanks for the tip; I am going to check out the SSS and plan to participate. It sounds like a perfect way to meet like minded people and get out in a safer environment.

Stu; I have read many of your posts and always enjoy them.

Don; Channel Islands are definitely on the short list of my destinations. Probably need to get to (and return from) HMB first, but I will get there. Is there a best time of year to make that journey round trip? I have heard August is good.

I am a little concerned about "surfing" the 411, but I guess that is all part of it!

I know I just need to get out there and achieve more time on the water. I loved it so much last year I sailed about 30 Saturdays in a row. Just had the boat serviced and am ready to go again this year.
Old 12-02-2016, 20:39   #6

I remember a lifetime ago working on a 156-ft research vessel traveling from Santa Barbara to Sitka AK. As we rounded Pt. Conception the waves were towering for days. Thinking of taking on conditions like that in my little 411 is more than a bit intimidating.

One of my priorities is to learn to read the weather data better so I can avoid extreme situations like that, at least until I am more experienced.
Old 12-02-2016, 22:14   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes, well, uh....we don't talk about that part (going back up!) But seriously, anywhere from Point Conception north can have its bad days. But usually in the summer and fall, the trip up is not bad and often quite calm. Yes it is against the typical winds, waves and currents, but usually a combination of motoring in the morning and beating to weather in the afternoon, along with watching the weather and planning the hops along the coast can make it a pleasant trip. It just won't be as fast as coming down! If you get to feeling good about going down to Monterey and back up you'll be in very good shape I'd say. In fact that that stretch can prepare you for a LOT of stuff!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 05:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Odyssea.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 06:07   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF Odyssea!

You're a lot more capable than your mind thinks already... Push your personal limits a bit at a time...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 15:39   #10

Thanks everyone. All good advice that I intend to follow.

Tags
introduction, sail