Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-02-2013, 19:17   #91

Re: Sewing Machines

In regards speed control: try putting a smaller diameter pulley on the motor...

tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 23:57   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Anchored somewhere in the Canadian Gulf Islands, East of Vancouver Island
Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Re: Sewing Machines

I just finished doing 30 bobbins worth of sewing on a mainsail. The leech line, suncover, and replacing of the luff tape. The sail has a 48 foot lufftape and is made of 9 oz. dacron. I had tackled this before with and older solid home sewing machine that was heavily built. I broke the machine. I then purchased a so called Industrial grade sewing machine with the ad on walking foot. It is nice but the stiches were too short and it couldn't punch through the heavy sail and suncover material. The feed dogs and walking feet couldn't feed the heavy material through properly. I finally broke down and bought a Sailrite LZ-1 on sale. The shipping to Canada was a bit steep so the total price came in at just under $1000 with the case, customs, taxes etc. When I started to sew on the sail I realized I had finally made a good choice. I also realized that there is a big difference between using a size 20 needle for a home machine and a size 20 needle for an industrial machine. I had done a lot of projects like seat covers etc. before. I just wish I had one of these earlier. Now I am looking for more projects on the boat.

The basis of accomplishment is in never quitting
Mengzi Meng-tse
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: