Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 06:36   #16

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Setting sail to the Bahamas in Jan.

Bob, did you go coastal or offshore XM package? And can it be turned on and off each month? Activation fee each time? I can see only needing this for four months. Right now we have a Delorme Inreach SE and were going to sign up for the very cheap SPOTS forecasts. I see on Active Captain, that Chris Parker might be able to do something with Inreach as well.

Sorry if this causes thread drift. Figured everyone going to Bahamas has interest in weather. We are coming down thru Florida in March, and planning to cross over the first of April. Just FYI.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 08:57   #17

Re: Setting sail to the Bahamas in Jan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Bob, did you go coastal or offshore XM package? And can it be turned on and off each month? Activation fee each time? I can see only needing this for four months. Right now we have a Delorme Inreach SE and were going to sign up for the very cheap SPOTS forecasts. I see on Active Captain, that Chris Parker might be able to do something with Inreach as well.

Sorry if this causes thread drift. Figured everyone going to Bahamas has interest in weather. We are coming down thru Florida in March, and planning to cross over the first of April. Just FYI.
We paid the set-up fee at once, then can suspend the service for up to 6 months at a time with no fees. We live aboard usually each winter so it works out for us. We wanted the coastal package and think that is about right for the Bahamas. However it did not work with our Raymarine sat. receiver, they had to change it to the "charter package". I don't see much difference with the coastal and they charge us the same. It displays sea heights, wind speeds, buoy data, weather forecasts, warnings, real time lightening strikes etc. etc.

April is a better time to cross, weather should be much better.

Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, sail