Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2010, 18:06   #1

Boat: Hunter 37.5 Legend
Second Life

Hi all,
Obviously I am new here, but want to introduce myself. I am currently trying to sell my home in Illinois and relocate to Florida, where I plan to purchase a boat. After that, I expect to use the next several months getting familiar with it and fixing things. Hopefully I can begin the cruising life next Fall.

I've been sailing for almost 40 years, but most of it on inland lakes. Spent several years racing Melges M20s in Madison, WI. The last ten years I crewed aboard a 48' yawl in Lake Michigan. Lots of fun, but I want my own boat this time. I've done some ocean sailing, but not much.

I am single, and 65. Sort of retired, since business has been slow. Guess I'll look for a crew in Florida. I've been looking for a 34'-38' sail boat in the $30-40 range. I've found some very nice Catalina 38s, and really like the Hunter 40 and 41s, but think they may be too much to single hand. I've been reading the blogs for some time. Reading blogs from cruisers keeps my spirits up while I wait for this house to sell. -- Cheers Jon
Jon4399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 09:17   #2

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Welcome aboard, Jon Glad to see you taking steps towards this (sometimes infuriating) dream along with the rest of us!

Will mention the obvious, we like to know what kind of experience you have with woodwork, electrical maintenance/design, welding, diesel mechanics, etc.. It all weighs on the advice you'll receive from the members here as to suitable boats and what to expect in maintenance costs (time and/or money).

Great to have you here!
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 09:32   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard Jon!

I'm over 60 and single-hand a 40'er. It just depends on how the cockpit is set up. You have to be selective.
The Hunters or Catalinas are fairly simple but for down there in FL you'll want to watch your draft as well, so a shoal keel maybe in order.

$30-40K may get you in the 34-40' range but probably a bit old, which will most likely need some up grades and maintenance. The sails and motors are the most costly. But with the way things are theses days you could get lucky.

............................_/)
Old 16-11-2010, 10:29   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i bought a formosa 41 for 10kusd---there are deals out there and there are good boats for almost nothing-- have to look reallly hard-- welcome to this forum... hope to see ye when i get to caribean and gulf--
do sail a lot of opb before ye settle on a boat for you. there are waaay too many boats for the choosing at present an will get to be more plentiful as our economy continues to not flourish.

i know whereis a formosa/ct 41 on the hard in sin diego for less than 5000usd--just needs a lil work--rudder is off, so what sinks formosas and cts is the probable reason the boat is out-- cutlass bearing and shaft log-- rudder re-glassing and splash....under 10k for that mess-- including resplash.

so what the boats are old-- we are young?? LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 10:33   #5

Thanks for your replies. I have been looking for shoal draft boats with less than 5' draft. I have found a couple of Catalina 38s with the 4' 11" draft. Then there are the Hunter out islands. I like the 41 ft models. They seem to mostly have 4'-2" draft, but also seem like a lot of boat for me.

I do consider myself handy. I ride a motorcycle and have fabricated some of the mods. \My dad was a carpenter/cabinet maker, so I have been using woodworking tools all my life. I enjoy cars (used to gymkhana Corvettes). I've done a lot of engine work over the years. All in all, I am looking forward to the maintenance part of owning a boat. Sounds silly maybe, but I want to fully know everything about the boat. from the anchor winch electrics to the cutlass bearing. I really enjoy reading the technical stuff you folks provide for us desperate sailers.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4399 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I have been looking for shoal draft boats with less than 5' draft. I have found a couple of Catalina 38s with the 4' 11" draft. Then there are the Hunter out islands. I like the 41 ft models. They seem to mostly have 4'-2" draft, but also seem like a lot of boat for me.

I do consider myself handy. I ride a motorcycle and have fabricated some of the mods. \My dad was a carpenter/cabinet maker, so I have been using woodworking tools all my life. I enjoy cars (used to gymkhana Corvettes). I've done a lot of engine work over the years. All in all, I am looking forward to the maintenance part of owning a boat. Sounds silly maybe, but I want to fully know everything about the boat. from the anchor winch electrics to the cutlass bearing. I really enjoy reading the technical stuff you folks provide for us desperate sailers.
one of my favorite sailing partners is an old minibike racer-- you guys on 2 wheels are great fabrication artistes..LOL.... you will do great..he sails a 4 1/2 ft deep performance cruiser in gulf of mexico.
i used to course work for scca..lol in all kinds of racing...something about fast wheels and sailboats ..LOL
Old 16-11-2010, 10:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
something about fast wheels and sailboats ..LOL
Zee... its called 'The Adrenalin Rush'.....
<<<<<< the effect

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 10:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Zee... its called 'The Adrenalin Rush'.....
<<<<<< the effect
something about that EDGE!!!!!
Old 16-11-2010, 11:45   #9

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
Shoal draft, 40' long, simple rigging and easy to handle? Under $40k? First big sailboat?

I've got three words for you: Morgan 41. Preferably the post-1978 versions, since they have the connecting companionway between master stateroom and salon, but they're a perfectly safe, straightforward and ROOMY boat. Not fast, but somewhat surprisingly well-mannered at sea and a 4'2 or 4'11" full length keel. For singlehanding, there is a ketch rig which allows for greater potential flexibility. Here's a quick search for them on Yachtworld at <$40k. I like the 1979 one in Miami.

morgan (Sail) Boats For Sale
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 11:52   #10

as to the morgan--yes-- a 38 morgan--oldie-- is an excellent boat for cruising--my electrician sailed all over in his -- had wife and kids on board--pretty and smooth sailing boats.
i saw many of the newer style morgans out there in gulf, also---look with brokers to find what they look like and try to find individuals selling theirs for a better deal without commission constraints...... goood luck...
Old 17-11-2010, 07:53   #11

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Jon,
Good luck on selling the house, and then wish you more in getting your boat! As you'll have realised it is an ideal time to do the second - but sadly not so good for doing the first.
We'll all be pleased to hear from you when it happens....
Sail safe
JOHN
Old 17-11-2010, 08:08   #12

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Welcome and good luck!

We have a house in the Tallahassee area and prefer that area to Central and South Florida. Prices are cheaper, weather is nice, more protected from hurricanes and there are fewer tourists up there.

Drawback is the shoal waters in the St. Marks area.

You might want to look for a boat in the Panama City area, I've seen several I plan to look at when I'm down there over Christmas.

K
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 19:06   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and good luck on the sale of your Illinois residence.
kind regards,
Old 08-12-2010, 14:08   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4399 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I have been looking for shoal draft boats with less than 5' draft. I have found a couple of Catalina 38s with the 4' 11" draft. Then there are the Hunter out islands. I like the 41 ft models. They seem to mostly have 4'-2" draft, but also seem like a lot of boat for me................
'a late response from me, but I wanted to point out that there are no "Hunter Out Islands". The "Out Island" models are Morgans and quite different from any of the Hunter designs.
Old 08-12-2010, 14:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
'a late response from me, but I wanted to point out that there are no "Hunter Out Islands". The "Out Island" models are Morgans and quite different from any of the Hunter designs.
Thanks for that. I really did know that they are Morgan Out Islands. Guess I left my mind for a moment. But thanks for catching me.