Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2004, 18:55   #1

Seasickness

I have gotten seasick in the past, and, God, it was miserable. I'd like to know if it's something I can get over, and if so, how? I had assumed I'd adjust, but reading a post about someone's wife who never did has me worried. I'm afraid to find out that it's going to keep me from living out one of my dreams. My "boyfriend" (we're both in our early forties) and I would like to cruise for a few years, in a few years. All the other aspects seem doable, but is this going to keep me a landlubber? If so, break it to me gently...
kyanps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 19:21   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Gently

You did not say what kind of a boat you were on when you did not feel well. If you are planning on sailing then I would suggest you start on a moderate displacement boat that has an easy motion. see how that goes. Do not look down, look at the horizon, try steering so that you get the feel of the boat. Learn about what causes the boat to move about. Sometimes drinking a fizzy drink like ginger ale helps. Do not spend the night in the pub before heading out. I tried that and it does not work. My wife never feels ill on the sailboat but could not handle a trawler under power. Different motions affect folks differently.
HTH BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 23:39   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Kyamps

If it's any comfort to you, my wife gets car and bus sick. But she does real good on the boat as long as she stays up in the cockpit while underway. Then after a couple days she can start working her way down for a few minutes and just break herself in. The main thing to remember is once you get hit with the sickness it's hard to pull out of it. Avoidance is the word! Also, if the Commander is being a real Blye, that makes matters worse. He may need an attitude adjustment IF THAT"S THE CASE?

This subject was brought up last June. You might want to check it out in the link below.

http://cruisersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=551

Enjoy.................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2004, 16:27   #4

Thanks for your help and encouragement. After doing some more reading it looks like something I'm bound to adjust to- hopefully sooner than later!

I wish I could afford a catamaran because I think that might help, but I can't sink that much money into something that's uninsurable. Unless I win the lottery, in which case I'm getting the Lagoon 440 that I saw at the Miami Boat Show earlier this week. It was sweet. Any men who can't get their wives to commit to the cruising life just need to show her one of those and she'll drop her gardening in a hot second!

Kim
Old 18-02-2004, 17:57   #5

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Who told you cats were uninsureable?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2004, 18:19   #6

Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply that catamaran's were uninsurable!

I've been reading that insurance for blue-water sailing can be hard to obtain for any boat and that it's incredibly expensive when you can get it, and we'd like to venture beyond the Carribean once we get the hang of things.

Just in the early stages of research, so I'd be interested to hear if your experience has been different.

Kim
Old 18-02-2004, 18:46   #7

Well, I was able to get insurance for my Prout 37. It is just for the East coast of the US at the moment. I was told by a couple of different insurance brokers that some companies would not insure cats. I suppose this means that there are fewer options and likely a higher price due to less competition. I probably pay a little more than a comparable monohull, but it is still not unreasonable. I'm not looking forward to offshore sailing premiums which will probably run twice what I am paying now.

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2004, 06:53   #8

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Someone last year (and I do apologize for not looking it up) posted that Lloyds actually provides a 10% discount for some cats as they are safer offshore. They are able to slip off the larger waves on their skegs or retracted daggers rather than trip over their keel and be knocked down.

I don't want to start a discussion of mono verses multi, just wanted to introduce the concept of alternate opinions regarding insurance. There are many reasons to choose one or the other, but insurance isn't likely to be a big factor. For sure, a larger valued yacht costs more to insure, regardless of configuration.

I am paying ~$950 CAN for insurance in Atlantic Canada and Eastern Seaboard, and expect to pay $650 Can more to include the Caribbean, for a Tobago 35 cat.

You are correct that the cost of insurance, or whether or not to insure, is part of the decision-making for offshore cruising.

Sonosailor
Old 19-02-2004, 07:08   #9

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Sonosailor: who is your insurance carrier? We will be closing on a new cat next month, and I have been seeking insurance quotes. I know that my hull value is high, but the difference between my insurance premium for the previous cat (a 36'PDQ) and the new cat (a 42' Manta) is about double!
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2004, 04:22   #10

Not on the tip of my tongue. I'll have to get it out. It is the one that has a relationship with the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron. Actually, I owe the agent a call, to get the Caribbean coverage for next year.
Old 20-02-2004, 05:44   #11

Hull Insurance for a cat

Hi Harriet,

I think we met in Annapolis when you were selling your PDQ with Chesapeake Catamaran Center. You had a nice example of the PDQ. Congrats on selling it and getting your Manta. We finally settled in a Prout for our needs.

This is our first cat and we ended up with insurance through progressive. Jack Martin and Associates was the broker we went through. We tried Al Golden, but his quote was twice as much. Local brokers near our home in Florida were even higher. The market for cats really seems to vary depending updon the constantly changing comfort level the different companies have. We are just covered on the East Coast at the moment and I am sure things will get more interesting as we look for more far reaching coverage in the next year.

Regards, Woody
Old 20-02-2004, 05:59   #12

Cat insurance

I am using St. Paul Fire & Marine, out of Toronto, but St Paul is a big company, and should have brokers wherever you are. They are affiliated in Canada with the Canadian Yachting Association (maybe not the Power Squadron people). Michael H Bruce Insurance Ltd. in Saint John NB, is my broker.

The policies these people provide seem to be evolving to control costs and liabilities. They right now do not insure the Caribbean Sea north of Grenada during the hurricane season, making Grenada a safe and insurable haven. I am presently inquiring about Bermuda coverage during the "winter migration".
Old 20-02-2004, 07:39   #13

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Cat insurance

Woody, Congratulations on your new Prout. I am sure you will be happy with it. And thanks for the info on Progressive. I will likely give them a call.

Sonosailor, we used to have St. Paul, and when they raised my rates without ever filing a claim, I jumped to American Family through Al Golden at IMIS. But I guess there's no harm in giving them an opportunity to quote.

Between the boat insurance search and trying to secure affordable individual health insurance for my husband and myself, I am beyond frustrated. It's like childbirth - I'm sure I'll forget all about it once we are back on board and crusing again.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2004, 10:54   #14

Harriet,

I would sure appreciate some words of experience when you sort out the health insurance issues. I'll be looking for me, my wife and two kids and don't want to be without at least major coverage of some kind. It looks like international coverage is possible at an acceptable price, if we are out of the country more than six months of the year. But, I expect that we'll be state side for the first year solid. I checked COBRA rates and it would be $800 per month! No thanks.

Woody
Old 20-02-2004, 12:59   #15

insurance

I have two questions about insurance:

Is the insurance for catamarans more expensive than for monohulls on average simply because they cost more on average, or is there some other factor, like the additional hull?

Why is health insurance cheaper if you're out of the country for six months of the year?

This is a very informative site! I'm glad I found it and thank you to everyone for your good advice!

Kim