Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2016, 07:51   #1

SCUBA/Surf Charter

Hello everyone!
I am developing a business plan to start a SCUBA/Surf/Snorkel/Sail adventure charter business somewhere in the Caribbean, probably the Bahamas.
This is the method of financing living on a sailboat and exploring the world that I have decided on (for now).
Does anyone have any advice on licensing required and any other logistics involved with this sort of endeavor.
I assume I'll need a captains license (from USA?) and a divemaster certification.
I'm thinking of a blue-water capable monohull sailboat in the mid-40' range, idealy with a flush deck, easy access to the water, forgiving to the novice and able to singlehand.
I'm also intrigued by electric engines. Does anyone have experience with these?
Any and all recommendations please!
Pauly Dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 09:32   #2

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35
Re: SCUBA/Surf Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dangerous View Post
Hello everyone!
I am developing a business plan to start a SCUBA/Surf/Snorkel/Sail adventure charter business somewhere in the Caribbean, probably the Bahamas.
This is the method of financing living on a sailboat and exploring the world that I have decided on (for now).
Does anyone have any advice on licensing required and any other logistics involved with this sort of endeavor.
I assume I'll need a captains license (from USA?) and a divemaster certification.
I'm thinking of a blue-water capable monohull sailboat in the mid-40' range, idealy with a flush deck, easy access to the water, forgiving to the novice and able to singlehand.
I'm also intrigued by electric engines. Does anyone have experience with these?
Any and all recommendations please!
You should really get some dive boat practical experience before venturing into this business. There is a lot more to running a safe, profitable dive operation than just ferrying people to a dive site. I would recommend getting dive experience in conditions and location similar to where you want to operate then intern with a dive shop. An instructor rating would be more practical since much or you clientèle will be looking for certification. You will need a compressor and several sets of rental equipment.
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Cuba, scuba