Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2005, 16:47   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
sawadee, khap

Hi, I followed a link provided by GordMay from somewhere else and was quite surprised to find such an extensive forum where I could post lots of stupid questions. Poor you.

I live in Thailand, and my love, Quiver, the second girl in my life, sits just over the border in Langkawi, Malaysia, and I could take all day telling you why she is there and I'm here, but suffice to say that it's an inconvenience dictated by bureaucracy... which I could get around, with difficulty, but have decided to keep Quiver where she is and send her many gifts because she's a girl and Langkawi is a duty-free port and I can send her things without it costing me the shirt off my back. Installing those gifts is another matter.

So greetings.
Jim
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 18:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Jim:
An old cruising acquaintance gave me these BASIC THAI PHRASES - perhaps you can add more, or correct any of these that I got wrong?

Hello / Good day! Sawadee khap (male speaker) or Sawadee kha (female speaker)
Yes Chai
No Mai
Mr./Ms./Mrs. Khun
How are you? Sabai dee lu
Fine Sabai dee
Thank you Khop khun khap (male speaker) or Khop khun kha (female speaker)
I don't understand Mai khao chai
Where is the restroom? Hawng naam yuu tee nai
Slow down Cha cha
Turn left Liao saiy
Turn right Liao kwaa
Go straight Trong pai
Stop Chot
How much? Thao rai
Can you give me a discount? Lot dai mai

Adding kha (female speaker) or khap (male speaker) at the end of sentences is the polite way of speaking in Thai.

Thanks, and welcome aboard,

Gord May

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 06:08   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard Jim

How are things doing there now after the recent Tsunami?

I'm sure if you scan the treads you'll be able to find a lot of your questions already answered.

And do you fly over to the Island or go by boat (your girl)?

.................................................. .._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 14:06   #4
Marine Service Provider

Gord.
You are almost fluent. As an introductory list of things a newcomer needs, that would be just about perfect. My main difficulty is making myself understood. My Canadian accent is pretty thick, no doubt made thicker by the couple years I spent in Thunder Bay as a youngster..

delmarrey,
It's hard to talk about luck when so many people lost so much. I put her on the hard at Rebak shortly before the waves and all the piers were destroyed... Air Asia was talking about starting up a flight from Phuket to Langkawi, which would be nice, but it's still pretty simple to visit her. I fly to Hat Yai, bus to Satun, then take a ferry to Kuah on Langkawi. Then I'm only have a taxi and another ferry ride to get to Rebak! Takes better part of a day.
Old 19-04-2005, 14:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jim:
No, I’m not nearly fluent in Tai (tho’ I’m getting there in English) - I’ve never actually spoken the words/phrases in earnest.

Curiously, tho’ Thunder Bay is a small city (about 115,000), I keep running into expatriates in the oddest places.
When we cruised Lake Superior, we could sometimes go for weeks without meeting up with anyone from home; and seldom more than 2 other boats.
Our second Christmas in the Bahamas (‘93), we counted 5 boats from Thunder Bay, in Nassau Harbour (at the same time).
Now you, here.
Go figger ...

Glad to hear that (at least) you fared well in the Tsunami. We look foreward to hearing about your experiences in that exotic part of the world.
What brought you to Thailand?

Regards,
Gord May

Old 19-04-2005, 21:11   #6
Marine Service Provider

Gord,
Longish story... Some years ago -- getting on eight or so now -- I took a one-year leave of absence from my Canadian employer, sold my home, car and went to India to do some research of a sort.

Ran into visa problems and had to leave, so decided to revisit some of the places I had been many years before as a young backpacker.

In Bangkok, I bought a ticket to Bali. Then I saw an ad in the Bangkok Post for a job that I was qualified for and applied by letter. Then I got on a plane for Bali. Long and short of it is they offered me a job and I came back to Thailand and forgot to return to my job in Canada.

Changed jobs a few times, as well as cities, bought a Vancouver 27 about four years ago, lived on it for more than a year, spent five months back in Canada recovering from a motorbike accident and now back in Bangkok working, living with my childhood sweetheart (from Winnipeg) and trying to get my boat ready to sail off somewhere, heaven knows where.
Old 19-04-2005, 23:22   #7

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Short version

Canadians can not ride motorcycles on the pavement with the exception of the Duhamels.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2005, 04:51   #8
Marine Service Provider

Gord,
Girlfriend read this, said "Gord May, that name sounds familiar... Is he a Unitarian?"
I said I couldn't say, but would ask...
Old 20-04-2005, 10:08   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What a great tale! I love your attitude.

I grew up (‘48 - 1964) in Winnipeg’s ‘River Heights’ & ‘Fort Rouge’ neighbourhoods, but left for Toronto at 15. Never attended any church. Went to Brock-Corydon primary, and Sir John Franklin junior high schools.
What’s your sweetheart’s name?

Gord

Old 20-04-2005, 18:19   #10
Marine Service Provider

Hey Gord,
We know those areas well. My girl's name is Lynne. I reckon you guys are about seven years apart, but she went to Brock-Corydon, too. She wonders if you remember Miss Mass, a principal who apparently both taught and terrorized kids... Seems like so many Canadians I meet these days spent some of their life in Winnipeg... And Lynne is debating what's worse, Winnipeg in January or the hot season (right now) in Bangkok....