Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 22:50   #1

Boat: Allmand 35 Tri-Cabin
Salutations From The USVI

5-13-13
Single male, 58, retired, 35' cruising sailboat on STT, condo on STX.
Thumbnail bio on profile page. Cruising plans on my post on SSSSM. (zeehag is Da Bomb!)
Oklahoma cowboy. 100K miles biker. Last 12 years in SoCal. Three tours in Iraq.
Mermaid hunting. Wish me luck.
Fair Winds & Following Seas, y'all.
-ross
Old 13-05-2013, 13:07   #2

Welcome aboard!

My wife and I celebrated our honeymoon and 10th anniversary on St. Croix. We love that island.
Currently we are sailing novices, but the long term plan is to eventually sail there from the gulf coast and take up permanent residency on STX. We have several friends on island with whom we maintain contact.

Again, welcome!
AirMedMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 10:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STXBoi View Post
5-13-13
Single male, 58, retired, 35' cruising sailboat on STT, condo on STX.
Thumbnail bio on profile page. Cruising plans on my post on SSSSM. (zeehag is Da Bomb!)
Oklahoma cowboy. 100K miles biker. Last 12 years in SoCal. Three tours in Iraq.
Mermaid hunting. Wish me luck.
Fair Winds & Following Seas, y'all.
-ross
My little family and I are moving to STT in August! Before long, we'll be liveaboards and cruising when we can.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 11:13   #4

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Salutations From The USVI

If I had the option of relocating for retirement, if it is not too late, I'd seriously consider St. John - USVI. St. Thomas would be the base for supplies/duty free shopping, medical emergencies and for its international airport. An alternate retirement destination, that requires very deep pockets, would be Moorea - French Polynesia. In that case, Tahiti would replace St. Thomas for the necessities mentioned above. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 14:23   #5

I am humbled that AirMedMech, MBLittle and Teknav honored me with a comment. Sail on, Brothers.
STXBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 14:53   #6

Congrats! You'll get here just in time for the traditional start of Hurrican Season in this little corner of the Caribbean. Keep your head down and your hatches dogged.
Old 16-05-2013, 14:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by STXBoi View Post
Congrats! You'll get here just in time for the traditional start of Hurrican Season in this little corner of the Caribbean. Keep your head down and your hatches dogged.
Ha! We have a habit of arriving places at the most "educating" times...
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:28   #8

My thanx to you and your wife for your service.
Gulf War I happened and I was guaranteed to be one of the first civilians sent over, due to my being the only one with a valid passport. Everyone else went, I sat and stewed and screamed and kicked, and everyone came back more-or-less in one piece, when one day a parcel was dropped on my desk. Inside was my passport and a note that said, "We were cleaning up down here in the bowels of the Pentagon when we came across your passport and application. Sorry about that."
Based on the number of personnel who later came down with symptoms that were later described as Gulf War Syndrome, I'm guessing it was a blessing that I didn't go.
When Gulf War II hit, the US Army Corps of Engineers said to us, "Well, you know we COULD order you to go. We have that option, but we'd prefer if you volunteered."
They didn't have to ask me twice. I volunteered for a 4-month deployment, which I extended to a fifth. I volunteered for a 6-month deployment, which I extended to a seventh. Then I volunteered for a full-year deployment, for a total time Downrange of two years.
Meanwhile Georgie-Porgie, in order to pay back a Major Campaign Donor, privatized the IT functions in the Corps of Engineers by giving him the contract. How's that working out? Just ask the poor suckers who are living with the aftershocks.
I was given 3 options. First, I could apply for my old job with the new company. And give up my 20-something year career in civil service in the process. Yeah, right. Second, I could apply for another position in civil service. ("I hear that Bumf**k, ND, is accepting applications.") Or, thirdly, I could apply for Early Retirement.
(Two seconds passed, during which time I pursed my lips and pressed my finger to them, indicating I was in Deep Thought.)
HELL YEAH, I WANT EARLY RETIREMENT!!!
And here I yam.
Old 25-05-2013, 21:05   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here. Thanks for your service. My last tour they offered me Washington DC. That's why I only had 29 in when I retired insted of over 30.
kind regards,